Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ocean's Thirteen

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 05:06 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocean's Thirteen

from comingsoon.net

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=12568

Jerry Weintraub has brought former Warner Bros. executive Rob Guralnick back to The Lot as his producing partner and president of WB-based Jerry Weintraub Productions.

Variety says the move comes as Weintraub gets a script by Brian Koppelman and David Levien for Ocean's Thirteen.

Weintraub is in the early stages of plotting a third installment of the "Ocean's Eleven" franchise with director Steven Soderbergh and his Section Eight partner George Clooney. The aim is to put the film in production later this year.

The production company is also preparing for a January 31 production start on the Andy Fleming-directed Nancy Drew.
Old 01-04-06, 05:15 AM
Suspended

Hopefully this will be better than 12. 12 was rather slapdash and sloppy, I don't think they really knew what they were doing.
Old 01-04-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Cathy Z Jones was just about the only reason I dug(barely) "12" so I'm hopin' "13" will be a lot better.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-04-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oceans 12 was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. I was so looking forward to it since I enjoyed Oceans 11. Hopefully they will get it right this time.
Old 01-04-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 was bad but not that bad...

I dont see a reason why they are doing another one....
Old 01-04-06, 08:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
$$$
Old 01-04-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I disagree - I thought Ocean's Twelve was fantastic. I will admit the plot was a bit lightweight but it had attitude, humor and style in spades.
Old 01-04-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

12 seemed to me like a 90 min. music video... That what I thought of it anyway...

13 just seems like one too many trips to the well.
Old 01-04-06, 09:36 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I disagree - I thought Ocean's Twelve was fantastic. I will admit the plot was a bit lightweight but it had attitude, humor and style in spades.
Well, I of course agree.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both were fun. I'm in. Especially if Catherine is back.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked Twelve as well, although it took me another viewing on DVD to figure things out a bit better. Not sure if a 13 would interest me, but hey, if they get everyone back again and actually use all the members effectively this time...
Old 01-04-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I enjoyed Twelve but I'm not so sure this is a good idea.
Old 01-04-06, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by roger_d
Oceans 12 was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. I was so looking forward to it since I enjoyed Oceans 11. Hopefully they will get it right this time.
Ditto. AND I thought Catherine was part of the downfall. It was one of the reasons it sucked so horribly. I usually really like her...but definitely not this time.
And I couldn't WAIT to see it.
Old 01-04-06, 10:49 AM
Banned

Why does the movie industry continue on making sequels to their bad, inferior predecessors?
Old 01-04-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see it now. Catherine Zeta Jones has a baby (Oceans 13th) and the toddler joins the crew in all their wacky capers!
Old 01-04-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You would think this ensemble cast would get tired of doing Ocean movies. I wonder if signing the same cast for doing a 3rd movie in a series is as difficult as a cast for a sitcom that has been on for years.
Old 01-04-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a huge fan of the original and was pissed when I heard of the remake. Then I saw it, and to my surprise, it was awesome. I went in with moderate hopes for 12 and was quite disappointed, but I recently watched it again and found that it plays much better on repeat viewings. If you can separate from the silly plot, it's entertaining for its humor and the wonderful chemistry among the cast. The scenes with Pitt and Damon are just priceless. It's not a particularly good film, and I wouldn't expect 13 to be either, but if they can recapture some of that fun, I'll see it.

das
Old 01-04-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I enjoyed Oceans Eleven, but Twelve was far cooler and funnier in my opinion. The non-stop banter and solid dialog had me going and kept me entertained even if the plot was a little ho-hum.

My parents conside Twelve to be one of the worst movies they've ever seen though. One of the few times we violently disagree on a movie that doesn't involve gratuitous sex or violence.
Old 01-04-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
The fun of 11 (and the whole point, I thought) was that you got to see every little aspect of a single caper... inception, planning, recruitment, rehearsal, and the caper itself.

12 skipped all that and in some cases didn't even show the caper itself. They took away the entire point of the first film.
Old 01-04-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

12's caper stuff was far below the rate of a bad 3rd series Lupin the III episode.
Old 01-08-06, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

GuessWho hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. What drew me into "Eleven" was the opportunity to see this brilliant plan come together. In "Twelve," the audience isn't let in on the secret, so it just doesn't work on the same levels that "Eleven" did.

I felt that "Twelve" took everything that made "Eleven" endearing, threw it out the window, and attempted to cover up the fact that the movie was nothing more than a paid reunion for the cast with witty banter that was often so forced as to come across as a spoof of the first film. Oh, and pardon the above run-on sentence. It's late, and "Ocean's Twelve" just isn't deserving of proper grammar at this time of night.

-JP
Old 01-08-06, 06:13 AM

Horse....dead......beating.....yeh, that's what pretty much comes to mind. The first was fun to watch, very glitzy and harked back to the ratpack attitude, whilst the second just nose-dived, as NatrlBornThrllr so said below.
Old 01-08-06, 09:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ocean's 11 was fun.
ocean's 12 was a terrible mess. insulting to the audience.
the only part of 12 was funny was with bruce willis and julia roberts.
no need for ocean's 13. the only reason ocean's 12 was successful is because people liked 11. 13 will find much more tough going because most people hated 12.
Old 01-08-06, 11:22 AM

should i be embarassed that i STILL don't understand Oceans 11, I mean i thought i did but when i saw it again i couldnt quite put it together...(the whole timing thing) Oceans 12 worked well enough for me but it started to get a little glib...and Julie Roberts pretending to be someone pretending to be Julia Roberts was just weird
Old 01-08-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
GuessWho hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. What drew me into "Eleven" was the opportunity to see this brilliant plan come together...

I felt that "Twelve" took everything that made "Eleven" endearing, threw it out the window
I don't think the "brilliant plan" made Ocean's 11 endearing. The cast and style did. The plot was certainly very well put-together but if the movie starred Ben Affleck, Jessica Alba and Robert Redford as directed by Tony Scott, I don't think it would've been quite as good. (To be fair, had that same cast & crew been in Ocean's Twelve, it would've been horrendous).

Ocean's 11 was a brilliant exercise in style latched onto a caper movie. Smartly, Soderbergh has moved beyond the plot and rather than rehashing everything, he expanded on it. Damon's Linus Caldwell trying to fit into the leadership of the group, Toulour's jealousy, Tess (Julia Roberts) going from picking paintings to hang at the Bellagio to picking the paint used in her living room... to me, it's all good.

Yes, the exposé at the end could've been a bit meatier and doesn't reward the viewer until a second viewing, but the movie was already topping out above two hours. Even I think a 150-minute cut of the film would've been a bit too much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.