Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Matrix - Scratched

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Matrix - Scratched

Has anyone else had this problem with the Matrix collection? I ordered one from the DDD sale and it was badly scratched. I sent it back and just received the replacement. It looks worse than the first one. These aren't just surface scratches. Some of them are deep. And it is every disc in the collection. I really want this set, especially for the great price, but I don't want to keep waiting so long for a clean copy. Does anyone even have a scratch free copy?
Old 01-02-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Mine's scratch-free.... but you can't have it
Old 01-02-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure they're out there, but from past experience, box sets seem to have a greater chance of containing scratched discs than 1 or 2-disc releases.

Most recently, I had to go through 3 or 4 boxes of the Friday the 13th set at Best Buy in order to get a set that was in good enough shape to keep. I also went through multiple copies of Titanic 3-disc and War of the Worlds: Limited Edition @ Circuit City before finding a scratch free copy.
Old 01-02-06, 02:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
sounds like they are re-packaged used ones.
Old 01-02-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said this numerous times. It appears record companies do alot better job of manufacturing cds than studios do for dvds. I've encountered 1 or 2 scratched cds in my lifetime. With dvds, it seems like 2 out of every 10 or so are scratched, although I've been on a roll lately. The last 10 I've bought have been in great condition.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 01-02-06 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
sounds like they are re-packaged used ones.
The way my replacement looks, it looks like they just re-packaged the one I sent back and returned it to me. If not, this set is prone to some really bad scratching. I've had scratched discs before, but nothing like this.
Old 01-02-06, 03:38 PM

my copy of the matrix box set is in mint condition. i've barely touched it since i bought the set a year ago.

i rarely get dvd's thru the mail but when i received my autographed copy of "The Myth" (3 disc set, courtesy of Joy Sales and Jackie Chan). the dvd case was loose and one of the special features disc was loose. i had to tighten up the case and luckily, i don't see any scratches on the loose disc but that disc itself is odd. doesn't play on my dvd player and it makes a loud noise when i play it on my PC (luckily for me, it's still functional).
Old 01-02-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by verbal1062
The way my replacement looks, it looks like they just re-packaged the one I sent back and returned it to me.
Before, you said: "It looks worse than the first one." So, are you thinking that they took your original (scratched) disc, scratched it up some more, and then sent it back to you? Or are you just completely changing your story?
Old 01-02-06, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Before, you said: "It looks worse than the first one." So, are you thinking that they took your original (scratched) disc, scratched it up some more, and then sent it back to you? Or are you just completely changing your story?
No, I'm not changing my story. The point was that both sets have big scratches on most of the discs. I don't actually think they resent me the same box. I was just joking about that part, but that wasn't clear. Sorry to be misleading.