Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Passenger ----> 3/14/06

From dvdactive.com:

Title: The Passenger
Starring: Jack Nicholson
Released: 14th March 2006
SRP: $24.96

Further Details:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a new release of The Passenger which stars Jack Nicholson and Maria Schneider. Originally released in 1975, the film is a suspenseful and haunting portrait of a drained journalist whose deliverance is an identity exchange with a dead man. The disc will be available to own from the 14th March, priced at around $24.96. Extras on this one will include an audio commentary with Jack Nicholson, a second commentary with Wim Wenders (director of Paris, Texas & Wings of Desire), An Evening at the Academy Featurette, and an interview with writer Mark Peploe and Maria Schneide. We've attached a small shot of the official region one package artwork below:

Artwork here
Old 01-02-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this was screened at the New York Film Festival in October, I rather suspected a DVD release would follow - nice to have it confirmed. And those extras look solid!
Old 01-02-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The re-release only played for a week at the local "arthouse" theater, so I'll be very interested to check out this DVD.
Old 01-02-06, 12:33 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Commentary with Nicholson.
Old 01-02-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A definite buy...but terrible cover work.

Pro-B
Old 01-02-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
A definite buy...but terrible cover work.

Pro-B
It's the artwork from the original one-sheet movie poster. Years ago, a poster dealer in Los Angeles, who hated the movie, gave me a 50 cent credit to take it.

In pure conjecture, I wonder if the Z Channel documentary helped pry this title from behind the gates of a certain Mulholland Drive mansion (Obviously, extra sales $$$ got its owner to do the commentary.)
Old 01-02-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a small thing, but no trailer?
Old 01-02-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazing news. Thank you!!!
Old 01-02-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RevKarl
It's the artwork from the original one-sheet movie poster. Years ago, a poster dealer in Los Angeles, who hated the movie, gave me a 50 cent credit to take it.....
That is fine I just don't like the quote that appears on the top...this is certainly not Antonioni's most entertaining film...

Either way suffice to say if the quality is good I will own this on release day.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-04-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But is this the shorter cut, or the preferred "director's cut"?
Old 01-04-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found the following, and for the life of me I don't understand what it's saying. It seems to state rather definitively that Sony decided against releasing the "MGM cut" in favor of the longer cut, but then goes on to say that there has been "no apparent effort" to locate the 20 odd minutes of excised material. Then there's that "for the moment at least". After noting Antonioni's advancing age it seems to suggest that either he remains spry enough to oversee a restoration of the film or that such is actively underway (reference to his "ouevre", but not "The Passenger" specifically), and that it "should be" possible to find this "other Passenger". Is anyone able to clarify this at all?

http://www.cinema-scope.com/cs24/spo..._passenger.htm

Nicholson was unhappy with all suitors for a theatrical and subsequent DVD release until discussions began with Sony Pictures Classics in early 2003, with a deal finalized in May 2004. * * * * But nothing is ever simple with The Passenger. Sony Classics was originally intending to release Antonioni’s hated MGM edition. As part of the research for this essay for Cinema Scope, I came across Antonioni’s unqualified condemning statement (on page 218 of the edited compilation of the director’s writings and interviews, The Architecture of Vision) and passed it along to Michael Barker, co-President of Sony Classics and Richard Pena, director of the New York Film Film Festival, where the film is receiving a special presentation. The evidence, fortunately, was convincing enough for Sony Classics to pull the MGM version and instead release the longer version, which will retain the title of The Passenger. (These changes won’t affect the scheduled Los Angeles premiere in mid-September and the New York Film Festival screening prior to release.) That there has been no apparent effort to search for the 20-odd minutes’ worth of material (described vividly by Antonioni in The Architecture of Vision, in a chapter tellingly titled “The Passenger that you didn’t see”) which made up the longer version before the final excisions is clearly a tragedy—for the moment at least. Antonioni, turning 93 on September 29, remains vital and active, as does the work to restore and maintain his oeuvre—to say nothing of the vigorous movement in film archival restoration and (albeit sometimes controversial) projects to “reconstruct” previously trimmed films, from Touch of Evil (1958) to The Big Red One (1980). For a film about a man seeking to find another self, it should be possible to find this other Passenger, and bring its own history back full circle.
Old 02-20-06, 07:40 PM
Banned

DVD Not cancelled. Postponed until April 25th. More info on the press release, thanks to davisdvd.com:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/press.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 02-20-06, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
That is fine I just don't like the quote that appears on the top...this is certainly not Antonioni's most entertaining film...
Well, that's definitely an objective opinion. I guess it's how you interpret "entertaining". Personally, THE PASSENGER is probably my favorite Antonioni film. No, I have not seen every film he's made, but I have seen quite a few. Sure, THE PASSENGER is slow moving, possibly even lethargic in its pacing, and somewhat of a downer, but that doesn't disqualify it from being entertaining. I find it engaging, captivating, and easily the most mentally stimulating of all the Antonioni films I've seen. To me, that constitutes entertainment.
Old 02-22-06, 06:21 AM
Banned

Old 02-22-06, 08:40 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Whew...glad to see a date again!