Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : A Fish Called Wanda: SE -- March 14th

Skoobooz
01-02-06, 10:11 AM
From DVDActive: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/a-fish-called-wanda.html

Maybe now that this, Midnight Cowboy: SE and Four Weddings and a Funeral: SE are finally coming out in R1, Sony/MGM will also bring out that Misery: SE that's been overseas for years. Any others?

joshd2012
01-02-06, 10:48 AM
You beat dx23 by one minute, so I'll give you, and this release, a :up:

marty888
01-02-06, 11:25 AM
Here's what's on the R2 release - wonder if we'll get <i>all</i> of these:

Something Fishy Documentary * ***° John Cleeses First Farewell Performance Documentary * ***° Deleted Scenes With Introductions By John Cleese * ***° Original Featurette On Location With A Fish * ***° Original Featurette A Message From John Cleese * ***° Alternate Ending * ***° Easter Eggs * ***° Audio Commentary By John Cleese * ***° Photo Galleries * ***° Trailers * ***° TV Spots * ***° Trivia Tracks

There are also a lot of subtite choice - I'll bet those wanting Croatian will still need to get the R2. -wink-

DVDude!
01-02-06, 11:51 AM
I've owned the R2 release for a while now. I'm happy with it, and will not buy the R1. The cover on the R2 (including a slipcover) is MUCH more appealing too.

dvd_luver
01-02-06, 11:58 AM
That cover art is scary, it's just that bad. What was wrong with the shot of the whole group like the orginal MGM dvd had. Please revise, MGM!

The Antipodean
01-02-06, 12:35 PM
About time we had an SE of this. Now if we get a Raising Arizona SE I will be a happy clam.

Geofferson
01-02-06, 01:32 PM
Glad to hear this -- a must-buy for me. :up:

Scott Weinberg
01-02-06, 05:26 PM
About time we had an SE of this. Now if we get a Raising Arizona SE I will be a happy clam.

Holy crap you read my mind! (I also refuse to buy Planes, Trains & Automobiles until the inevitable SE comes out.) :)

darkside
01-02-06, 05:33 PM
Really happy this is coming bad cover or not.

LorenzoL
01-02-06, 05:54 PM
I'm happy to hear about this release.

mrcoaster
01-02-06, 07:17 PM
Good news. Definitely a very funny movie and one that I'll be looking forward to watching again.

meritocracy
01-02-06, 07:55 PM
Been waiting for the R1 of this to rear its head. I'll be picking this up, hideous cover be damned.

Fok
01-02-06, 09:13 PM
Looking forward to these releases......I'm still waiting for Peter's Friends though.

Jadzia
01-03-06, 02:38 AM
Very cool. Now here's hoping we get a widescreen re-issue of Fierce Creatures from Universal.

Cameron
01-03-06, 05:02 AM
happy for you and all...just give us the damn dollars movies SE

Dai
01-03-06, 12:41 PM
This one is a long time coming, but i'll be buying this!!

Masamune
01-03-06, 12:44 PM
I wonder if this will make getting FIERCE CREATURES easier to find? I want that movie more than this...

yeldarb367
01-03-06, 04:28 PM
Good news. Bad cover.

Egon's Ghost
01-04-06, 09:15 AM
Good news. Bad cover.
Yet another suck-tastic MGM cover. This film has needed this edition for some time, and I'll get it anyway, and hopefully find a R2 scan from somebody.

"Oh no! K-K-K-K is c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me! How are you going to k-k-k-kill me, K-K-K-Ken??"

"You're the vulgarian, you F@#K!!"

steebo777
01-04-06, 12:35 PM
Good news. Bad cover.
Word.

GoldenJCJ
01-04-06, 08:16 PM
Here's what's on the R2 release - wonder if we'll get <i>all</i> of these:

Something Fishy Documentary * ***° John Cleeses First Farewell Performance Documentary * ***° Deleted Scenes With Introductions By John Cleese * ***° Original Featurette On Location With A Fish * ***° Original Featurette A Message From John Cleese * ***° Alternate Ending * ***° Easter Eggs * ***° Audio Commentary By John Cleese * ***° Photo Galleries * ***° Trailers * ***° TV Spots * ***° Trivia Tracks
I wonder if they'll retitle it "The John Cleese Edition" :rolleyes:

bboisvert
01-04-06, 08:33 PM
"You're the vulgarian, you F@#K!!"

Quite possibly the funniest line in movie history. Nearly 20 years later, and I still laugh every single time.

freudguy
01-05-06, 10:47 AM
I'm picking this up on release day. I haven't seen it in years and look forward to finally owning it. And don't call me stupid.

Jadzia
01-05-06, 12:36 PM
No, calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people!

I've known sheep who could outwit you, I've worn skirts with higher IQs.

Let me correct you on a few things: Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message behind Buddhism was NOT "every man for himself". The London Underground was not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.

dx23
02-07-06, 10:56 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000E33W1C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

T1000
02-07-06, 11:48 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000E33W1C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That is a terrible cover.

I've had mine for nearly 2 years now (The SE) It's kinda weird how you're just getting yours.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00007LZ5I.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's the cover for mine.

DonnachaOne
02-07-06, 11:51 AM
About bloody thunder-fucking time. I've waited years for this.

Egon's Ghost
02-07-06, 10:15 PM
That R1 cover sucks balls. Where can I get a nice scan of the Region 2 cover?

dx23
03-05-06, 09:14 PM
According to davisdvd.com, the release date has been moved to August 1st.

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

dvd_luver
03-06-06, 12:24 AM
Ok, thanks MGM for the delay! :(

They just want to piss us off so we will really want to really buy this. :)

Bleddyn Williams
03-06-06, 10:16 AM
Its taken this a ridiculous amount of time to make it to the US.

But it will probably have one improvement over the UK set a lot of us have...

The end titles which tell you the fate of the characters have been turned into subtitles on the R2 disc. This is distracting and ugly. I suspect R1 will keep the original onscreen titles.

Egon's Ghost
03-06-06, 10:51 AM
According to davisdvd.com, the release date has been moved to August 1st.

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html
Oh My F@#$ing God! Sony has made The List.

freudguy
03-06-06, 12:40 PM
The bastards! I was really looking forward to this, more than any other release (except for King Kong).

dvd_luver
03-08-06, 06:44 PM
I really wish they would have held on to that original street date. Bastards!

LorenzoL
06-28-06, 08:08 AM
DVDActive is now indicating that the release has been cancelled. WTF?

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/a-fish-called-wanda-cancelled.html

Filmmaker
06-28-06, 08:11 AM
Fucking hell!!!! :mad:

GIjon213
06-28-06, 08:15 AM
Well that sucks.... I have been looking forward to this all year.... Simply because every time it is supposed to get released, it doesn't. Does any one know the reason for the delay in the first place? Perhaps it could shed some light on the reason for the cancellation.

Geofferson
06-28-06, 09:14 AM
:down:

bboisvert
06-28-06, 09:30 AM
Perhaps it could shed some light on the reason for the cancellation.

I don't know the exact dates of the switchover, but Fox has recently signed to distribute MGM films (instead of the current Sony situation). I assume that this release was just a victim of that... Fox may very well release it down the road. (Which would bring it full circle, since the original VHS/LD releases were CBS/Fox.)

That being said, for those who are region-free, I'd HIGHLY recommend picking up the 2-disc UK edition.

Michael Corvin
06-28-06, 09:30 AM
ASSHOLE!!!! :mad:

fixed. :)

dvd_luver
06-28-06, 12:24 PM
Sony can go put a sock in it, they should have just released this on March 14th 2006 instead of making potential buyers wait all this time. Now the studio and the buyer get nothing out of it. Sony really screwed up bigtime here with this release.

Sathlin
06-28-06, 06:37 PM
this sucks.. i already sold the copy i had in anticipation of buying this..
argh...

dx23
06-28-06, 07:23 PM
I just think that this has everything to do with the Fox deal. This will probably be released by Fox in the near future.

Filmmaker
06-29-06, 10:32 AM
this sucks.. i already sold the copy i had in anticipation of buying this..
argh...

Never a smart idea; even if Sony had gone through with releasing it, there's nothing to say that they wouldn't have screwed up the release on a technical level (misframed widescreen, audio glitches, et al), so one should always confirm that the upgrade is worthwhile before selling off their original.

Dai
06-29-06, 11:54 AM
Meh....we've gone this long without it, what's another few more months or years....

methinks, I'll have to look into the R2 version..

yeldarb367
06-29-06, 12:04 PM
Damn. All this time and then they cancel it.

DoubleDownAgain
06-29-06, 06:19 PM
Never a smart idea; even if Sony had gone through with releasing it, there's nothing to say that they wouldn't have screwed up the release on a technical level (misframed widescreen, audio glitches, et al), so one should always confirm that the upgrade is worthwhile before selling off their original.

I traded my original release and have no regrets. It will get put out at some point, it's just a matter of when.

Filmmaker
06-29-06, 08:00 PM
I traded my original release and have no regrets. It will get put out at some point, it's just a matter of when.

But will it get put out right? That's the question.

Brent L
06-29-06, 08:11 PM
*runs off to finally order the R2 version*

Egon's Ghost
06-29-06, 08:18 PM
When I get mad and I pissed
I grab a pen and I write out a list
of all the assholes that won't be missed

gryffinmaster
06-29-06, 08:54 PM
Fox will release it down the line. :up: Bummer it got shuffled away for the time being, though.

dvd_luver
06-29-06, 10:16 PM
Fox will release it down the line. :up: Bummer it got shuffled away for the time being, though.

Probably so - it's just that this was all set to be released in March and got delayed, now they just look incredibly silly and ridiculous. If I wanted a giant tease I'd go out to a strip club right now. They definitly should see to it that this gets released and fast, like within 3 to 6 months of the 2nd SD - 8/01/06.

Fair is fair!

Fielding Mellish
06-30-06, 08:30 AM
The "upcoming" SE just got a nice feature blurb in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

Oops!

LorenzoL
08-01-06, 07:36 PM
Digital Bits is indicating that this DVD will be released by 20th Century Fox on 10/10/06.

We've got GREAT news to report today, folks! I just got off the phone with MGM and have learned that, just as we suspected, the studio's long-awaited A Fish Called Wanda: Special Edition will now be released on DVD by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. The new street date is 10/10, so reset your plans accordingly.

purplechoe
08-01-06, 08:05 PM
Digital Bits is indicating that this DVD will be released by 20th Century Fox on 10/10/06.

I had a hunch this would be delayed again. BASTARDS! :sad:

dvd_luver
08-01-06, 10:40 PM
BASTARDS! :

Really, your to kind! I am mad as hell at MGM/Sony for this mess and making the region 1 market wait not twice, but three times now.

What a crock of s**t!

They better hold to that date.........

dvd_luver
08-01-06, 10:50 PM
Anybody else wanted to buy this in March and now in August and feels kind of ticked by this whole mess. October 10th at least is soon enough, thanks 20th Century Fox for getting right on it!

Sony/MGM really is the one to be upset with, they really are good at practical jokes aren't they. :)

Mr.Briggs
08-02-06, 12:12 AM
I'm upset at this second delay BUT it does now come out the day before my birthday!!! I know one thing I'll be asking for.

GIjon213
08-02-06, 09:21 AM
Really, your to kind! I am mad as hell at MGM/Sony for this mess and making the region 1 market wait not twice, but three times now.

What a crock of s**t!

They better hold to that date.........

Shuuushh, we don't want to piss them off. Just thank them for thinking about releasing it sometime this decade...

We thank you.
We thank you.
We thank you.

dvd_luver
08-02-06, 02:56 PM
Shuuushh, we don't want to piss them off. Just thank them for thinking about releasing it sometime this decade...

lol! Yeah, but don't give them any new ideas for a new release date!

Mr.Briggs
08-07-06, 10:47 PM
I just got an email from Amazon saying that my Deluxe Edition order which was still open from when I ordered it in July has shipped!!! It had better not be the one disc older release. I'd love it if somehow they got a few copies of the DE in & it slipped thorugh before its rescheduled date of 10/10.

dvd_luver
08-08-06, 03:14 AM
Mr.Briggs, I highly doubt it's the Deluxe Edition, however if it is very nice score man. It's probably the 1 discer and you should be ready to tell Amazon where to go and how to get there.

bunkaroo
08-08-06, 07:39 AM
Same here.just go tmy shipment notice overnight. I am on the Amazon Prime free trial so I should have whatever has been shipped to me by Thursday.

Glad I left my pre-order up!

Mr.Briggs
08-09-06, 11:57 AM
It just arrived by UPS & it's the MGM 2 disc Collector's Edition (sweet Amazon Prime Trial free 2 day delivery). It comes with slipcover which is still covered by the shrinkwrap. Wanted to get the word out asap. What am I bid for it? K....K...Kidding (of C...c....course, K...K...Ken).

bboisvert
08-09-06, 12:23 PM
Really? Interesting...

So, what's the final, complete list of extras? I assume it matches the existing Region 2 edition?

dvd_luver
08-09-06, 02:27 PM
Mr.briggs you lucky bastard!, haha, :) I am shocked.

wtf is up with that anyhow, very strange that you got it when they aren't taking orders at all for the dvd last time I looked.

Nice score briggs! I guess sometimes it pays to place an order through Amazon.

bunkaroo
08-09-06, 02:47 PM
I'm sure it's just the logos that are being changed. My copy from Amazon should be in hand today, which I'm betting will still have a Sony logo on the back somewhere.

Mr.Briggs
08-09-06, 04:21 PM
My opinion on the reason that they pulled this release is that there is no running time or chapters listed while watching the movie. All dashes. It DOES have chapter stops that you can forward to or go to from the scene selection menu but while you are watching the film you have no idea where you are. Also, no insert (that would've helped. Especially to locate what # chapter you are in.) It played perfectly, though. I've checked out all of the features by fast forwarding through them. All have time & chapters listed. 15 deleted scenes with commentary totalling almost 30 minutes, 4 featurettes (2 around 18 minutes & 2 around 30 minutes), Theatrical trailer & 4 previews.

dvd_luver
08-09-06, 07:20 PM
Amazon is now taking orders for this release, I did a UPC search and some online vendors say usually ships in 24 hours, while MGM's official site says it ships between 48 hours, while others have removed the lisiting all together. No mention yet of a new date anywhere yet to honor the rumored 10/10/2006 date. So what we have here is a nice big classic case of "wtf is going on here". In my book though I would say this has been officially released by MGM/SONY, there must have been a large demand for it, so some may have leaked to retailers but they are probably very rare and limited, like a few thousand+ or so. Who knows? I did place an order with Amazon for this, no way am I waiting until October for this. Thanks to Mr.briggs for the heads up on this interesting situation for a dvd.

Filmmaker
08-09-06, 08:18 PM
I'll be damned--I checked this at Amazon a few hours ago and it was listed as unavailable but, alas, there it is available again (though admittedly for an uninspiring price)! I went ahead and placed my order; chances are the Fox release in October will have all the same extras and likely a better cover, but this MGM version is going to be ultra-rare, I'm sure, so I couldn't resist.

Mr.Briggs
08-09-06, 10:46 PM
DVD is not the problem. It is one of those compatability with certain model/maker problems. My Panasonic PVD-4744S which is the machine hooked up to my Samsung DLP didn't show the chapters or time but I just decided to put it in my newer Sony SLV-D370P and magically they appeared. So I've now watched both discs and they are perfect. I just have to realize when I watch it on the 50" WS insteaad of the 25" non WS I won't get the chapter & time on the film itself.

Carl Alessi
08-09-06, 11:16 PM
I just received my e-mail from Amazon this afternoon, indicating that Wanda had shipped today and should arrive by Friday.

And yes...it is the Deluxe Edition:

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 A Fish Called Wanda (Delux... $16.99 1 $16.99

Item Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping & Handling: $2.19

Super Saver Discount $-2.19

Total: $16.99

Paid by Amex: $16.99

bunkaroo
08-09-06, 11:45 PM
Received mine today. Good luck to all those trying to get it.

dvd_luver
08-10-06, 03:15 AM
Good luck to all those trying to get it.

I take it this has been released, but it may be only available for a short time only until 10/10/2006. Than again it may be wise to pick it up while supplies last because you never can count out a dvd delay from any studio. It appears Amazon is selling it, MGM, a few others and that is it. I would hope somebody who knows more could shed some light on this strange situation.

kdavis
08-10-06, 10:40 AM
It looks like Amazon has put this DVD back into the "This title is currently not available" status. Luckily, mine shipped yesterday.

Wallet Boy
08-10-06, 01:03 PM
Back to being in stock, but with a $21.99 price tag

Jericho
08-10-06, 01:13 PM
I'm curious what the deal with this is. I also got a shipping notice for my order, which I left open without really thinking. And since someone else already got theirs, its good to know it's not some older edition either. not sure why Amazon is hsipping these out, but I can't complain.

dvd_luver
08-10-06, 04:11 PM
I got mine from Amazon today (overnighted it) and I must say it's very nice. I scanned the slipcover since it hasn't been opened yet for those wanting confirmation that this actually exists.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3213/wandafronttg1.th.jpg (http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wandafronttg1.jpg)http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5051/wandabackyp0.th.jpg (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wandabackyp0.jpg)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1393/wandaspineea7.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wandaspineea7.jpg)

I did check Amazon again and it's back to being unavailable. Very strange.

Skoobooz
08-12-06, 02:53 PM
It's available again at Amazon. Weird. Placed my order.

dvd_luver
08-14-06, 02:46 PM
It's available again at Amazon. Weird. Placed my order.

Since your post it has been listed as "in stock" over there. To my knowledge the only way to buy it is through Amazon, no stores carry the dvd yet.

dvd_luver
08-15-06, 02:27 PM
Amazon just lowered the price to $16.99 for the dvd and it's still listed as "in stock".

BuddyRevell
08-15-06, 02:42 PM
SON OF A! Mine shipped yesterday. For the love of PETE!

Filmmaker
08-15-06, 04:03 PM
Got mine today--it's the real deal and I'm happy as a clam!

THX7966
08-17-06, 04:22 PM
According to www.thedigitalbits.com today, Amazon received their Wanda discs and are honoring orders for it.

Also this morning, those of you interested in getting your hands on a copy of Sony's recently pulled A Fish Called Wanda: Collector's Edition (actually delayed until 10/10, when it will be released by Fox for MGM instead of Sony) might want to place a quick order for it with Amazon.com right now. Turns out Amazon has gotten its allotment of the discs and is actually selling and shipping them. We've had several readers confirm that they've already gotten copies of the SE, as ordered from the online retailer. Don't know how long that situation will last...

BuddyRevell
08-17-06, 05:23 PM
Yep got mine yesterday. Glad I ordered.

tofferman
08-17-06, 07:18 PM
Ordered it this afternoon, along with Double Indemnity for $35.98 shipped. It appears no B&M will be discounting Double Indemnity next week.

Egon's Ghost
08-18-06, 02:38 PM
So wait a minute. This is a 2-disc SE and it's just been pulled at the 12th hour by Sony? What the %@#$???

bboisvert
08-18-06, 04:02 PM
So wait a minute. This is a 2-disc SE and it's just been pulled at the 12th hour by Sony? What the %@#$???

Sony no longer has distribution rights for the MGM stuff... that's now in the hands of Fox. This just happened to occur right at the transition time.

Damed
08-18-06, 04:04 PM
I'll just wait for 10/10 and pick up the fox release. Probably get it cheap at B&M release day/

bunkaroo
08-18-06, 04:10 PM
odds are I won't spin this before Octover, but I'm still glad I got it. This title was well on it's way to being the next Ed Wood or Duel, and frankly I trust these studios as far as I can throw them. Better to get it now in case Fox decides it's not worth releasing "at this time".

Sessa17
08-18-06, 04:59 PM
Everyone that got their order in at Amazon is now lucky. It is currently listed as "unavailable" at Amazon.

dvd_luver
08-18-06, 05:41 PM
Everyone that got their order in at Amazon is now lucky. It is currently listed as "unavailable" at Amazon.

I haven't seen a lick pop up at retail, it looks like it was distributed exclusively through Amazon. I am so glad I ordered it, I hope it stays unavailable until the FOX release comes out because it will become more collectible.

packaok
08-18-06, 07:14 PM
I'm glad I got my order in. I grabbed 3 of them at $16.99 and I just got my shipping confirmation! May make nice trade bait... :)

Mike Adams
08-20-06, 12:58 PM
I'm glad I got my order in. I grabbed 3 of them at $16.99 and I just got my shipping confirmation! May make nice trade bait... :)

Yeah, I'm sure they will, but I would have liked to have bought one of the two extras you bought. Now I can't because "prospectors" have bought them all and Amazon is now listing it as unavailable again. :grumble:

I really don't mind waiting for the Fox release (maybe they'll go back to the original key art from their first home video release), but as things often go in the DVD world, I just KNOW there's gonna be something left off, whether it's just the deleted scenes, one or both of the documentaries, or worst of all, the entire commentary track! Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Kind of makes me think the people in charge of releasing material at the major studios (esp. Disney and now Sony) are getting kickbacks from eBay scammers.

dvd_luver
08-20-06, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they will, but I would have liked to have bought one of the two extras you bought.

Me as well, but when I bought them the price was $21.99 and I used overnight shipping to get it asap. I just wanted to own it, so 1 is probably enough, but if the FOX version is identical to the SONY version, than I will feel better about not ordering more than 1 copy through Amazon. If it was $16.99 when I bought it there I would have nabbed 2 copys easily. Regardless the SONY release will be years from now probably an OOP staple in dvd land.

Mr.Briggs
08-21-06, 01:40 AM
I don't see how the Fox version can be exactly the same as Sonys since Sony has 4 previews of their movies. Plus the artwork is bound to change. If you discount those two things the extras pertaining to Wanda could be identical (or they might take just one thing off like Buena Vista's Ed Wood). Time will tell.

dvd_luver
08-21-06, 08:07 PM
It's listed as "in stock" on Amazon again for $16.99

GIjon213
08-21-06, 08:42 PM
It's listed as "in stock" on Amazon again for $16.99

Nope, gone again.

dvd_luver
08-21-06, 10:24 PM
Nope, gone again.

When I posted it said only "5 left in stock" on the page, so that was around 7pm or so, and now they are gone.

GIjon213
08-22-06, 08:48 AM
When I posted it said only "5 left in stock" on the page, so that was around 7pm or so, and now they are gone.
:brickwl2: Me and my procrastination....

dx23
09-25-06, 10:05 AM
Well, it seems that this MGM Special Edition is going to be released after all. Amazon.com has it for pre-order for November 21st:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E33W1C/104-6394603-2628714

Filmmaker
09-25-06, 12:16 PM
So it was delayed again? It had been moved to early October. He he, glad I got one of Amazon's batch when I did. Some of the deleted scenes are insane--they would have made for an entirely different (more cynical and heartless) film.

dx23
09-25-06, 01:29 PM
So it was delayed again? It had been moved to early October. He he, glad I got one of Amazon's batch when I did. Some of the deleted scenes are insane--they would have made for an entirely different (more cynical and heartless) film.

I believe that the Octber date was a rumored one and it was supposed to be released by FOX.

dvd_luver
09-25-06, 03:08 PM
Glad I picked this up early from Amazon as well! and didn't have to wait 8 months and 7 days to finally pick this up!

Dane
09-25-06, 05:57 PM
If you cannot wait the R2 SE 2-Disc (if you got a Multi-region player) can be picked up for around $5.00 ...without shipping, though. It´s been out for over a year now.

Cameron
09-25-06, 06:21 PM
i have seen the current MGM/Sony SE version out in Tower Records

dvd_luver
09-25-06, 07:33 PM
i have seen the current MGM/Sony SE version out in Tower Records

I haven't been to a Tower in awhile but I am glad to see that Amazon wasn't the only one who got some copys in stock.

dvd_luver
10-10-06, 03:50 AM
Wanda has new artwork, this just posted on DavisDVD!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8069/fishcalledwandazv0.jpg

I am glad that I managed to get my hands on the cancelled version, the artwork is so much better IMO. Not that the new artwork is all that bad, it's just average at best.

Filmmaker
10-10-06, 08:12 AM
dvd_luver, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum--I think this new artwork is far better (as I feared), but I'm still glad I got the cancelled version from MGM because a) it's a rarity and b) I got to enjoy it weeks ago.

Mike Adams
10-10-06, 03:42 PM
Any word on what might be left off this version, if anything?

dx23
10-10-06, 03:58 PM
The slipcase cover

Egon's Ghost
10-13-06, 02:00 PM
Much better cover art.

Mike Adams
10-13-06, 05:07 PM
The slipcase cover

Definitely not worried about that, but thanks for pointing it out. I'm more concerned about content left off, such as the outtakes or a featurette.

Mike Adams
10-13-06, 05:08 PM
Much better cover art.

I don't disagree, but the not-as-good art for $19.99 makes me much happier than better cover art for $50 or more on eBay.

dx23
10-16-06, 09:43 PM
I'll have to correct myself since it seems that this new edition will have a slipcase cover. From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Fish Called Wanda R1 CE in November

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of A Fish Called Wanda (Collector’s Edition) for 21st November 2006 priced at $26.98SRP. Starring Monty Python’s John Cleese and Michael Palin with Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline in his Oscar winning performance, this wonderfully smart and entertaining film features an unparalleled comedic cast and was directed by Charles Crichton. Set in London, these four very different characters team up to commit armed robbery and then try to double-cross each other for the loot.

Features on this 2-Disc Collector’s Edition include:
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English & Spanish Mono
French Dolby Surround
English, French & Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with John Cleese
Trivia Track
”Something's Fishy” Documentary
A Message From John Cleese
Deleted Scenes and Alternate Scenes with Introductions by John Cleese
Featurette: John Cleese's First Farewell Performance
Featurette: Kulture Vulture
Easter Eggs:
Jamie Lee Curtis' Halloween Cell Phone
Deleted Scene: John Cleese's Thought on the USA
Deleted Scene: Wanda Kissing Ken
Mug Shots: Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61617

dx23
10-16-06, 09:54 PM
After checking the specs in the MGM cancelled release, it seems everything is carried over to this new release.

Filmmaker
10-16-06, 10:05 PM
dx23, those Easter Eggs are on my canceled MGM release?

dvd_luver
10-16-06, 10:51 PM
After checking the specs in the MGM cancelled release, it seems everything is carried over to this new release.

Well than I am glad than that I did not overpay for the cancelled SONY/MGM release, I saw a few go on Amazon for near or a little over $100 dollars. With specs being carried over from the previous release, I may have an OOP collectors item handy but it will drop in value very fast after this is released since the content will be the same.

dx23
10-16-06, 11:03 PM
dx23, those Easter Eggs are on my canceled MGM release?

I think so, although I haven't been able to find them. I remember reading in early press releases for the Deluxe MGM edition something about easter eggs in the specs.

Filmmaker
10-16-06, 11:06 PM
dx23, yeah, I found all of 'em shortly after my post...they're all on disc two and they're hidden in items featured in the menus (a string of pearls, a key in the fish food and a pair of diamonds). Good stuff!

dx23
10-16-06, 11:53 PM
Thanks Filmmaker!

Mike Adams
10-17-06, 12:41 AM
Thank YOU, dx23 for making my night! :) I'm very happy to read that nothing has been dropped, although I could take or leave the slipcover.

Randy Miller III
10-18-06, 09:38 AM
The Digital Bits also reports yet another version of the cover art.
Perhaps this is the slipcase?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/76/1161178848.jpg

Link (scroll down) (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents)

Filmmaker
10-18-06, 10:04 AM
I'm sure that's just the slipcover.

animatedude
10-18-06, 12:19 PM
i fuckin' love this artwork

bboisvert
10-18-06, 12:26 PM
Yes, the artwork is much improved. Nice.

animatedude
10-18-06, 01:30 PM
does anyone have a bigger version of the artwork?

dvd_luver
10-18-06, 02:06 PM
Yes, the artwork is much improved. Nice.

That slipcover is really nice, but I still am not digging it. I still prefer the SONY/MGM artwork over this.

Mike Adams
10-18-06, 03:31 PM
Not bad, but a little too close to the cover for "Eulogy", although I'd imagine the fishbowl is more appropriate for "Wanda".

souvenir
10-18-06, 04:02 PM
I'd imagine the fishbowl is more appropriate for "Wanda".

ehh...I think that an aquarium would be more appropriate since that's where Wanda and K-k-k-ken's other fish are, if I'm remembering correctly.

dx23
10-18-06, 04:15 PM
does anyone have a bigger version of the artwork?

Slipcover:

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/5299/fishcalledwandatl1.jpg

Cover:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8069/fishcalledwandazv0.jpg

filmfreak
10-18-06, 04:39 PM
ehh...I think that an aquarium would be more appropriate since that's where Wanda and K-k-k-ken's other fish are, if I'm remembering correctly.

Exactly! You're correct. Those dumb a$$ studios can't get anything right!!

animatedude
10-18-06, 05:07 PM
thanks dx23!

animatedude
10-18-06, 05:32 PM
argh...amazon.com are still listing 2 versions of this for pre-order...

Deluxe Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Called-Wanda-Deluxe/dp/B000E33W1C/sr=1-2/qid=1161206704/ref=sr_1_2/002-2440647-8024007?ie=UTF8&s=dvd)

Collector's Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Called-Wanda-Collectors/dp/B000IONJJ2/sr=1-3/qid=1161206704/ref=sr_1_3/002-2440647-8024007?ie=UTF8&s=dvd)

if the old version is cancelled then why list it for pre-order.and it's the cheaper one! this is unfair! lol

Mike Adams
10-18-06, 06:19 PM
You're right that an aquarium would be more appropriate. I just meant that the fish bowl means more in "Wanda" than it would for "Eulogy", although I haven't seen the latter. Also, the "Eulogy" cover reminds me a lot of the one for "Betsy's Wedding", although it's a picture frame instead of a fishbowl.

dx23
10-19-06, 12:48 PM
From thedigitalbits.com:

A lot of people have asked whether Fox's 11/21 release of MGM's A Fish Called Wanda: Collector's Edition will be different from Sony's recent almost release (some copies of which were shipped by Amazon). As far as we can tell from Fox's spec list, the only change (aside from the cover art) is that the preview trailers are slightly different. The Sony disc included previews for Creature Comforts: The Complete Series, Fun with Dick and Jane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Pink Panther (2006). The new DVD ditches Creature Comforts and Fun with Dick and Jane in favor of trailers for The Princess Bride and Casino Royale. Otherwise, the 2-disc set appears to be identical right down to the Easter eggs.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

dvd_luver
10-19-06, 02:20 PM
As far as we can tell from Fox's spec list, the only change (aside from the cover art) is that the preview trailers are slightly different. The Sony disc included previews for Creature Comforts: The Complete Series, Fun with Dick and Jane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Pink Panther (2006). The new DVD ditches Creature Comforts and Fun with Dick and Jane in favor of trailers for The Princess Bride and Casino Royale. Otherwise, the 2-disc set appears to be identical right down to the Easter eggs.

Well, it looks like I'll have to double-dip on this again to get the new trailers on the FOX release. I must have them. Just kidding!

Mike Adams
10-19-06, 03:23 PM
From thedigitalbits.com:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Yep, just read that. Two words... WOO HOO! ;)

dolphinboy
11-24-06, 02:30 AM
I'm a bit confused.

I had been coming to this thread and even did so AFTER it was reported that Amazon had been sending out a version that had been cancelled.

Well, I ordered from Amazon just before the release date of the version that has the big fishbowl slipcover (which I had really noticed until now) and when I got my copy recently it didn't have that slipcover.

My slipcover has the 4 characters and a fish right below the words collector's edition.

It clearly says 2-disc set, so I assumed this was one of the "cancelled" version that Amazon someone sent me by accident even after they knew it was cancelled.

But now I'm not sure, because they are still selling it. Why would they do that if one studio cancelled it and another released it? And the release date amazon lists for this 2-disc that I have says 2004.

Was there another 2-disc before the new one? I thought this special or collector's edition was replacing a single disc. Here are links to the two versions at amazon. Can anyone please clarify this for me and tell me if I need to return my 2-disc if it was, indeed, released in 2004. The version I have also lists fewer features, but in this thread the "cancelled" version and the proper release are supposed to have the same special features.

Here are the links to Amazon's versions. This is the one that I got and that says it was released in 2004. It's called the Deluxe Edition but the slipcover says Collector's Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E33W1C/104-6394603-2628714

Here is the one with the fishbowl slipcover that seems to be the one being sold everywhere else. The dvd release date is 2006 and it's called the Collector's Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IONJJ2/ref=pd_cp_d_title/105-2703949-8358811

dvd_luver
11-24-06, 03:33 AM
dolphinboy, it sounds like you have the OOP cancelled MGM/Sony version and not the new MGM/FOX release. I would hold onto it, it's OOP but Amazon must still have some backstock for it. It's the same release as the new MGM/Fox version.

ShaunoftheDead
11-24-06, 10:39 AM
Is it me or is the slipcover a total key

Ethan VanSciver
11-24-06, 07:56 PM
So what is the story here? I looked for this at Target, Walmart, Blockbuster and BJ's Wholesale, and NO ONE CARRIED IT! Was it cancelled?!

Very frustrating.

Filmmaker
11-24-06, 10:01 PM
So what is the story here? I looked for this at Target, Walmart, Blockbuster and BJ's Wholesale, and NO ONE CARRIED IT! Was it cancelled?!

Very frustrating.

Tons of copies at my local Cicuit City this morning; I didn't need it, though, since I got the OOP version a couple of months ago from Amazon.

Shazam
11-25-06, 03:53 AM
Saw it at my Walmart. I was so shocked, I didn't buy it.

Mike Adams
11-25-06, 04:28 PM
Rest assured, it's out there. Many retailers may not carry it, but keep looking. I bought mine at BEST BUY because I'd read that someone couldn't find it at WAL-MART, but when I went there mine had it.

It's definitely a great collection of bonus material, and having John Cleese's commentary is great, but I could do without the packaging, and probably will. From what I've seen, the Sony version isn't any better, so I'm not all that upset about missing out on that. The booklet in the Fox version is absolute crap, and if the chapter stops weren't completely different from what's in the Scene Selection menu, I'd just keep the booklet from the original MGM release. Some of the supposed "jokes" in the new one are just plain stupid, and it has very little useful information at all.

dvd_luver
11-25-06, 05:19 PM
I saw this at K-mart Friday but since I own the OOP version I really don't need to pick it up. My guess is that for some reason some stores got these a day or two after the street date while others did not and had it on release day. I am so glad that this is OUT finally!

Mike Adams
11-25-06, 09:25 PM
I saw this at K-mart Friday but since I own the OOP version I really don't need to pick it up. My guess is that for some reason some stores got these a day or two after the street date while others did not and had it on release day. I am so glad that this is OUT finally!

Yeah, I think if something's not an A-list title for a particular retailer, they don't get it until their next regular shipment (say, Thursday or Friday) instead of the Tuesday of release.

Mike Adams
11-28-06, 01:46 AM
Has anyone found an easter egg on this DVD? The only listing I found was for the old version, but I thought I read something about this disc being "identical to the Sony version, right down to the easter egg", although I know the trailers are different.

Filmmaker
11-28-06, 08:03 AM
Yes, there are three Easter eggs. I have the OOP version from Sony, though, so I'm not sure if the menus are the same on the Fox version for me to advise you where to find them (if they are, check into the little fish paraphernalia lying about in the menus on Disc Two).

Mike Adams
11-28-06, 05:29 PM
Yes, there are three Easter eggs. I have the OOP version from Sony, though, so I'm not sure if the menus are the same on the Fox version for me to advise you where to find them (if they are, check into the little fish paraphernalia lying about in the menus on Disc Two).

Well, since I don't have the Sony version I can't tell you whether they're the same, so why don't you just tell us all where to find them on the Sony disc and we'll try to carry it over to the new version. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything, but it would be nice to know what they are in case they've been dropped. That way I can decide whether they're worth buying the Sony version for.

Mike Adams
11-29-06, 12:54 PM
Whoops... answered my own question. Found three easter eggs on Disc Two, and I'd assume they're the same as the ones on the Sony version. E-mail me privately to confirm this if you'd prefer not to give them away in the forum.