Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seven-Ups

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Seven-Ups

Does anyone know why The Seven-Ups isn't available on DVD? Even if you want to quibble about the quality of the film, you have to admit that it includes one of the best car chases ever made.

Well....?
Old 12-29-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Fox just hasn't gotten to it yet. There's an entire century of movies out there. Gonna take awhile to get to them all.
Old 12-29-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, but they released THE DRIVER, so you would think.....
Old 12-29-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every once in awhile this one shows up on one of the Encore channels; until it's available on DVD it's worth keeping an eye open for their next showing.
Old 12-29-05, 11:14 PM

The Seven-Ups

Yeah, I know there are a lot of movies in Fox's catalog but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the selections for re-releases. I've rented this on VHS but it's definitely not the same quality as DVD.

Imagine an audio commentary w/ Roy Scheider, Richard Lynch, & the director, Phillip D'Antoni? Heh heh.... I guess this is the only film that Phillip D'Antoni ever directed...he was mostly a producer...Bullitt & The French Connection...interesting to hear what he'd had to say about this one....
Old 12-30-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought you were talking about Seven Up!. A new one is due to be filmed this year, BTW.

Old 12-30-05, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great flick -- Roy Scheider in pre-Jaws mode.

You'd think they'd have released it by now since nearly every other 70s car-chase film has been released:

Cannonball
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Gone in 60 Seconds
The Driver
Vanishing Point
Old 12-30-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was about Seven Up! as well
Old 12-30-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought you were talking about Seven Up!. A new one is due to be filmed this year, BTW.
I thought so, too! Actually, 49 Up has already aired in Britain. Hopefully we'll get it early next year.
Old 12-30-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kitkat
I thought so, too! Actually, 49 Up has already aired in Britain. Hopefully we'll get it early next year.
This is one of those series I saw in the video store when I was younger and then sort of forgot about. The box set is now on my DDD wishlist, awaiting the next 20% off sale in June. If the price stays the same, I think it turns out to be in the $60 range. That's a great price.
Old 12-30-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been watching them every seven years since 21 Up (I've also seen the first two). They are possibly my favorite documentaries, yet weirdly, I don't want to own them. I kind of like rediscovering the series every seven years after almost forgetting about it. I would like to see the special features though. Maybe I'll Netflix 'em after I see 49 Up next year.
Old 12-30-05, 11:15 PM

The Seven-Ups

Shoot, oh well....I guess it's not that widely known....which I pretty much knew in the first place. If nothing else, I hope more people check out the MOVIE, The Seven-Ups...heh heh....it really is very good in my opinion and worth your time, even on VHS....

I have no idea who looks at these posts, but here's a plea to release this one on DVD ASAP!!!! Please!!!!! & put some commentary on it w/ at least Roy Scheider. I would think it would be a labor of love for him - while it's not All That Jazz (for him probably), it's still a good one....

Last edited by Plazmatix; 12-30-05 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-31-05, 03:11 PM

Good movie. I've got the laser disc, unfortunately its about as crappy looking as the tape version.
Did you know it was partly filmed in the Bronx?(the chase scene)
Old 12-31-05, 05:12 PM

The Seven-Ups

Really?? The laser disc sucks?? That may be why it hasn't been released yet. If it's not simply a matter of just transferring the existing version to DVD, then they may have it in line to be cleaned up & who knows what other films may be in front of it in line.....

Are there any extras at all on the laser disc?

& I don't know New York very well, but to me it looks like the whole thing was filmed in New York..thanks for the info!
Old 01-01-06, 02:02 AM

I have the CBS / Fox release of The Seven Ups on LD. Framed at 1.33:1 and looking pretty noisy, it is nothing to write home about, but I still watch the film every now and again. The car chase remains one of my favorites and I really enjoyed Scheider's performance in this film. Most of the supporting cast has a decidedly non-Hollywood appearence which adds a lot of authenticity to the film. The film, for me, really captures the gritty 70's film experience and works very well because of that aspect.

I do not know if there were any other LD releases, but the CLV version has no extras. Re: shot in New York. From the back cover of the LD; "Shot entirely on location in New York over a 12 week period,..."

I'd love to see Fox give this a nice DVD release that improves upon the LD presentation.

- Walter.
Old 01-08-06, 04:57 PM

Well, I sent in an email to Fox asking about information on the release of this one on DVD. We'll see if they respond.

Thanks eveyone who repliled to this post & if I here back from Fox, I'll let you all know what they say....