Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Raging Bull se, dialogue recorded too low or just me?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i watched the movie for the first time last night (ive had it since feb when the box came out, excellent movie btw) i was wondering if many of the dialogue scene's were especially quiet, and hard to understand? it was so low at points, i ended up watching the movie with subtitles, which i vary rarely do (the scene that was the worst offender was the scene where after a fight, Jake and his girlfriend atempt to make love (right before the scene where he pours ice down his pants). Also, when ever a character yelled a line, it came off as distorted (especially during the "did you fuck my wife" scene)

even though this relates more to the actual movie but i'll post it here anyway's , does anyone know if the use of profanity was used that excessivly back in the 40's or if that was because morely the actors in the movie (Joe Peci especially, every movie he was in it seems, is just one f word after another especially when he gets pissed., not that i don't mind it.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-28-05 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, I noticed that also. I had my receiver turned up to -24 db when I usually keep it at -38db and still barely heard half the movie clearly. I'm pretty sure the volume problem is with the SE and not the original.
Old 12-29-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just you, I own the dvd and I noticed it as well.
Old 12-29-05, 12:11 PM

Disappointing. Sound is very important to this movie! Question: which track? The DD 5.1, 2.0, or mono? I wonder how the mono is; MGM's 5.1 mix of Terminator's original mono is problematic, to say the least.
Old 12-29-05, 12:35 PM

well that's is due to the fact that they actually burned the original sound tracks, that's what I heard, so they had to compose some new ones from lower quality material...
Old 12-29-05, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
well that's is due to the fact that they actually burned the original sound tracks...
Old 12-29-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Odd the DVDTalk Review doesnt mention it:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14418

I didn't notice.
Old 12-29-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Disappointing. Sound is very important to this movie! Question: which track? The DD 5.1, 2.0, or mono? I wonder how the mono is; MGM's 5.1 mix of Terminator's original mono is problematic, to say the least.
i thought the 5.1 mix of terminator 1 is fine, sure all of the effects were changed.

also, at least to my knowledge there is no mono track on raging bull se, only the 5.1 mix, and the 2.0 mix.
Old 12-29-05, 10:05 PM
Banned

I've noticed this problem on many Dolby 5.1 soundtracks, but don't know the reason why. Basically, I have to increase the volume much higher than normal just to hear the dialogue, then the rest of the audio will be too loud.
Old 12-29-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I've noticed this problem on many Dolby 5.1 soundtracks, but don't know the reason why. Basically, I have to increase the volume much higher than normal just to hear the dialogue, then the rest of the audio will be too loud.
It's called dynamic range, and it describes the difference in volume between the quietest part of the track and the loudest part. DD offers a nice dynamic range, and many sound editors take advantage of it, especially for the theatrical experience. For home video, either the theatrical mix is left untouched, or the mixers may be overzealous, which results in those extreme soundtracks.

Many home theater systems, and even some DVD players, have dynamic ranges compressors that even out the volume difference in a track. It's sometimes called "Midnight Mode" or similar because of it's usefullness in playing a movie late at night, where the volume can't be turned up as high as it could usually be.
Old 12-29-05, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's called dynamic range, and it describes the difference in volume between the quietest part of the track and the loudest part. DD offers a nice dynamic range, and many sound editors take advantage of it, especially for the theatrical experience. For home video, either the theatrical mix is left untouched, or the mixers may be overzealous, which results in those extreme soundtracks.

Many home theater systems, and even some DVD players, have dynamic ranges compressors that even out the volume difference in a track. It's sometimes called "Midnight Mode" or similar because of it's usefullness in playing a movie late at night, where the volume can't be turned up as high as it could usually be.
Thank You!
Old 12-30-05, 12:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
People have been complaining about that since LD's. You can't hear the dialog, so you turn up the volume, when the action comes on, it so loud, it scares the crap out of you.
Old 12-30-05, 02:14 AM

happened to me aswell. tried to watch the SE over thanksgiving break while i was in bed. nearly scared to death when the matches came on, the crowd and bell noises were so loud!
Old 12-30-05, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
also, at least to my knowledge there is no mono track on raging bull se, only the 5.1 mix, and the 2.0 mix.
I don't have it, so I don't know, but the DVDTalk review says it does.
Old 03-12-06, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
well that's is due to the fact that they actually burned the original sound tracks, that's what I heard, so they had to compose some new ones from lower quality material...
Bump. You might be referring to Frank Warner's sound effects. He produces the effects, then burns his materials afterwards, so he doesn't re-use anything on future projects.

Sure, the dialogue scenes are quiet, but I think intentionally so. There is a very wide dynamic range on this movie. And there is a lot of ambient noise in the domestic scenes; many times it is louder than the dialogue, making it hard to hear on some occasions. And a lot of the dialogue is delivered in a near-whisper, on-set, not recorded in post. So, I don't think it's a problem with the sound elements. I remember seeing this in film class about 10 years ago, and I think it was a 16mm print, and it was the same. In fact, this DVD looks and sounds better than what I saw.
Old 03-12-06, 12:21 PM
Banned

Never have issues with it. *I have the SE with the baseball slipcase
Old 03-12-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jake_spade
Never have issues with it. *I have the SE with the baseball slipcase
Raging Bull, not Bull Durham.