Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences in original Star Wars movies and new versions.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-28-05, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure this will get slaughtered, but I need to ask anyway. I know a lot of people are upset by the "improvements" that Lucas made when the movies were re-released a few years back.

What are the differences between the original movies and the newer versions? Is it something to really get your undies in a bunch over?
Old 12-28-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Let me ask you a question: Do you really buy the fact that Luke yells like a baby when he jumps and escapes from Vader in ESB?
Old 12-28-05, 08:36 PM

At DVD Active they feature 3 articles for each episode of their 'changes'.
Old 12-28-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Let me ask you a question: Do you really buy the fact that Luke yells like a baby when he jumps and escapes from Vader in ESB?

The DVD release loses the scream.
Old 12-28-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Apone
Really informative! I can't believe people diss the SE so much when there's much more improvment than there are degredations in quality. It makes the film world seem so much more lively and active.
Old 12-28-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lock this thread now, gentlemen. Lock this thread and salt the earth.
Old 12-28-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't think anyone has any problem with the cosmetic aspects. The problems that I, and many others have, are:

1. Gredo fires at Han Solo first which "Weakens" the character and the character arc over the three films.
2. The changed dialogue between the Emperor and Vader in ESB was pointless
3. The dance number in ROTJ is gag inducing
4. Hayden Christianson <sp> apearing at the end of ROTJ makes NO sense. Some people argue that it is because that is when he was last with the light side of the force however he never seems to be with the light side of the force in the pre trilogy and he IS completely at peace when he dies in ROTJ.
5. The loss of the gub gub song at the end of the ROTJ (though I think I might be in the minority on this one).

THERE Now you can lock it

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 12-28-05 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like a lot of the special edition stuff. Opening up cloud city, the x wing shots in the first film, not having see through cockpits on hoth....

but I'd give it all back for

I think everyone would enjoy the special editions if they didn't erase the original movies.
Old 12-28-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

5. The loss of the gub gub song at the end of the ROTJ (though I think I might be in the minority on this one).[
I'm with you on the "gub gub" song. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it included on the Star Wars Battlefront II video game.
Old 12-28-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I don't think anyone has any problem with the cosmetic aspects. The problems that I, and many others have, are:

1. Gredo fires at Han Solo first which "Weakens" the character and the character arc over the three films.
4. Hayden Christianson <sp> apearing at the end of ROTJ makes NO sense. Some people argue that it is because that is when he was last with the light side of the force however he never seems to be with the light side of the force in the pre trilogy and he IS completely at peace when he dies in ROTJ.
5. The loss of the gub gub song at the end of the ROTJ (though I think I might be in the minority on this one).

You are right, I had forgot about most of those. But those are still minor plot points; unneccessary, sure, but the DVDs are still IMHO the definitive versions of the films availbile so far. If they change those little things that would be definitive, but those things don't detract from my enjoyment of the films.
Old 12-28-05, 11:31 PM

These two are the ones that bother me the most. Oh and also how they removed the scene where Cameron watches Ferris' girlfriend change at the pool. I think the pool was on Endor, or maybe Tatooine. I'm almost certain it wasn't Hoth.
Old 12-28-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Atreus
These two are the ones that bother me the most. Oh and also how they removed the scene where Cameron watches Ferris' girlfriend change at the pool. I think the pool was on Endor, or maybe Tatooine. I'm almost certain it wasn't Hoth.
I wish i still had old VHS version of return of the jedi, or atleast the copy from the one time i taped it on regular TV, so that i could prove it to you all that the scen does exist where Cameron watched her undress by the pool...
Old 12-29-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's weird that this has never been discussed before.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 12-29-05 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I'm with you on the "gub gub" song. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it included on the Star Wars Battlefront II video game.
yub nub. the ewok celebration.. great tune.. my buddy's band plays it:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...b.php?id=30592
Old 12-29-05, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Really informative! I can't believe people diss the SE so much when there's much more improvment than there are degredations in quality. It makes the film world seem so much more lively and active.
that's the same way i feel. I love the new editions (minus that song and dance on return of the jedi and jaba's hut) I'm glad they added the extra effects. No way the prequels should seem more advanced then episodes 4 5 and 6. (Jaba can walk around in episode one but not in episode 4? come on.
Old 12-29-05, 07:25 AM

Old 12-29-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Guido shoots first!
Old 12-29-05, 08:32 AM

Not to mention the fact that Gredo shooting first looks like ASS. Embarrassing. Funny this hasn't been locked yet, or hasn't been bitched out. Agreed, Mrs Nesbit. You can add: the snow monster scene, changing of dialogue in Empire, completely and utterly superfluous scene of Vader added in Empire (telling an underling to get his ship...er, Mr Lucas, WE ARE NOT STUPID), not to mention the needless obviously CGI crap added to every city scene in Star Wars. As far as I'm concerned, these SEs are not Star Wars, and I will never buy them. So I'm a purist. I believe that if something is going to be released on DVD, it just should be as it was; sorry, Mr Mann. I don't think people would sit idly by if a new version of The Godfather replaced the original version.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 12-29-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marcellusk
I'm glad they added the extra effects. No way the prequels should seem more advanced then episodes 4 5 and 6. (Jaba can walk around in episode one but not in episode 4? come on.
I guess I just don't think that they should change films that I love to "match up" with films that I don't love as much, that were made 25 years later.

And, I'm not sure I understand your general point. The effects in the original trilogy still hold up pretty well... and Jabba wouldn't even *be* in Episode IV without the changes, so there'd be nothing to worry about.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, this is probably the most detailed (and correct) list of changes I've seen:

http://theforce.net/swse/

This only covers the 1997 changes... Lucas made another batch for the 2004 DVD release, which includes:

Episode IV:
* Fixing the landspeeder entry into Mos Eisley so it looks better.
* Fixing the effects in the Greedo scene so it is a bit smoother. Still doesn't look right.
* Completely redoing Jabba so he looks... well, more like Jabba.
* Replacing the "Power" label on the tractor beam with Aurebesh writing.
* Replacing the "eye stalk" shot of the trash monster with one that's more dynamic
* A few lines of dialog are added stormtroopers talking, etc. (I think when they're investigating the Falcon?) My memory is fuzzy here, but there's definitely something new.
* Lightsabers are redone throughout the film.

Episode V:

* Ian McDiarmid now plays the Emperor in the hologram scene, and the dialog has been changed.
* Luke's scream (added in 1997) has been removed.

Episode VI:

* Anakin's eyebrows have been digitally removed during the "reveal" scene.
* Hayden Christensen replaces Sebastian Shaw as "ghost Anakin".
* Naboo is added to the celebration at the end, and the Coruscant shots have been altered to better reflect what we see in the prequels.
* Lightsabers have been redone.

I think that probably covers it -- although I'm sure I've forgotten one or two trivial things. Actually, what amazes me looking at this list is the number of 2004 changes that were made to the 1997 changes. They've spent a lot of time "tweaking" previous tweaks that apparently didn't look so good to them a few years later. That's one of the many reasons I support just leaving the film alone.
Old 12-29-05, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
That's one of the many reasons I support just leaving the film alone.
You've hit the nail on the head! That's it right there, for me. Many artists throughout history have said that very same thing; Aldous Huxley comes to mind. I think Scorsese has said something to that effect, and said, basically, "I just move on to the next thing." Er, Mr Lucas, I'm looking in your direction...
Old 12-29-05, 08:46 AM

I grew up watching these films and see both sides. It seems as though I've gotten dependent on Special Effects and a more realistic movie as the years have gone by. Although sometimes CGI doesn't do that great of a job....IE The Hulk.

Anyways I like some the changes etc but thought it was kind of crappy to change the anakin image at the end of ROTJ. I mean Sebastian Shaw deserved to be portrayed there.

Oh well I still like them and own them today.

Who here thinks we'll see another round of edits to all 6 when he releases the full set on DVD...You know he will
Old 12-29-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
I think everyone would enjoy the special editions if they didn't erase the original movies.
My tapes and laserdiscs haven't been erased. Everyone enjoy!

DJ
Old 12-29-05, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apone
That's pretty cool. To see all the changes and upgrades to the film. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-29-05, 09:39 AM
Banned

The funny thing is there isn't even an "original" version...sonically at least. The original release of each movie had several sound mixes, each with their own differences in sound effects, dialogue and even different "takes" of dialogue that there is no "original."
Old 12-29-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I have always said if Lucas did just special effects changes, most fans would not have a problem, but once he started changing scenes to suit the PT story, that is when he lost me.

I actually didn't mind the 97 SE, even Greedo shooting first didn't bother me too much, although I do prefer the O-OT any day.

But then...........................the insertion of Hayden in ROTJ ghost scene. That to me is the ultimate insult to see his mug next to Yoda & Alec Guiness, to this day, even if you don't like the PT, you have to watch ROTJ with his face at the end of the movie and it links trilogies.

It is sad, cause I am clamoring for the 97 SE on DVD, if we cant get the O-OT, cause atleast there is no Hayden in it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.