Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why Connect TiVo via Internet?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, in the mad dash to network everything possible in my house, I purchased a wireless adapter for my TiVo. As I am about to open the box, it hits me...what does this method offer that the phone line doeas not?

TiVo to go I believe allows me to view saved programs from one Tivo onto another, but I only have one.

I believe there is an option to saved recorded shows onto my PC, but I really don't see the purpose of this either, since I do not have a DVD burner.

Is there something else that would make this purchase worthwhile, or should I take the adapter back and use the money towards 1/2 of a 360 game?
Old 12-28-05, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i connect mine using a wireless adapter to make the daily connection easier. That way I didn't have to run a phone line to the tivo (and also not worrying about lightning since if the phone line is connected to the tivo, it is also connected to my 50" DLP ) You can also then log in to your tivo from the tivo.com site and tell your tivo to record a show that you forgot to set if you are not home. <--not sure if you can do that through the phone line or not. For me, it cuts down on a lot of hassle in the long run.
Old 12-29-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a phoneline, it's the only way I can connect.

And for the longest time (like 3-4 years), it was the only thing my phone line was actually used for.

Perhaps you should check into Galleon. It provides a lot of cool features that the standard TiVoToGo does not. http://galleon.sourceforge.net/html/
Old 12-29-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I need to keep my landline for the alarm company, and there is a jack behind the set. I have used the internet to schedule a program before, but maybe with the wireless the update happens right away, and my way needs to dial in to update. Then again, I don't really add programs remotly anyway.

I will probably mull this over for a week until the return lines die down, then decide. Any other input will still be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
So, it's possible to hook up your Tivo via the internet? I'm moving into an apartment next month and was thinking I'd have to get a phone line just for the Tivo. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-30-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.tivocommunity.com

Quit wasting time here on this topic. Not trying to offend with that comment, but the info at TC is just sitting there, you wouldn't even have to ask. Just a quick search in the appropriate forum and you'll know far more about whichever Tivo feature than you probably could ever want to.
Old 12-30-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was there and did a search, but it was difficult to sort through everything there, so I posted here as I am a more active member.

Artman, you can connect series 2 to internet using a built in USB port in the back. You do however need to do the initial set-up via phone. If it is not a new unit, you should be all set.
Old 12-31-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If you don't care about extraction, there are still a possible benefits, such as:
- TivoWeb. Schedule recordings, edit season passes, and even undelete shows, etc, from your web browser
- Conveniently add features to your TiVo, such as on-screen caller ID and buffer expansion
- Stream shows from your TiVo to your PC

Admittedly, the #1 reason would be for extraction though. With how cheap DVD burners are nowadays, it is a much better solution than VHS. We buy TV shows on DVD, but for shows that aren't worth the price to us or for things that won't ever come out on DVD, we just record on TiVo, extract to PC, edit out commericals, and burn to DVD.
Old 12-31-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After reading through the thread on TC, I think I am going to take the connector back. I am not interested in much that it would have to offer. I don't understand how caller ID would be an option when I am NOT connected to the phone line. I don't think streaming to my PC is a big deal, since I use my laptop in front of the TV.

Thanks for your input and continued response.
Old 01-01-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
My wife and I both got cell phones yesterday. I would like to get rid of our home phone now. Is there any way I can get rid of it and still keep Tivo? Thanks for any help you might have on the subject.
Old 01-01-06, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
My wife and I both got cell phones yesterday. I would like to get rid of our home phone now. Is there any way I can get rid of it and still keep Tivo? Thanks for any help you might have on the subject.
Do you have DLS/Cable for your internet access? If so then yes, that is what we are talking about in this thread. You can use a cable or wireless usb adapter which allows the tivo to connect daily through your internet connection.
Old 01-02-06, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhYbEr
Do you have DLS/Cable for your internet access? If so then yes, that is what we are talking about in this thread. You can use a cable or wireless usb adapter which allows the tivo to connect daily through your internet connection.
Yes, I have cable for my internet access but my computer is downstairs while my Tivo is upstairs.

Is there any way this could work with them being in two different places? If not I may just do away with Tivo and my phone line. Thanks again for any help you guys might have for me.
Old 01-02-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Yes, I have cable for my internet access but my computer is downstairs while my Tivo is upstairs.

Is there any way this could work with them being in two different places? If not I may just do away with Tivo and my phone line. Thanks again for any help you guys might have for me.
Yes, you can do it with them in different locations:

Wireless router connected to cable modem and a USB Adapter for the TIVO unit.

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 01-02-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-02-06, 10:11 AM
Banned

You can listen to podcasts, play games (like hot or not, poker, and other ones), stream music from your computer, check the weather, get traffic conditions, and view what's playing at local theaters and buy tickets online, and if you have PSP, they are setting it up so you can download shows onto it.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2005-11/...o-beta-photos/

Last edited by chemosh6969; 01-02-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-03-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
Yes, you can do it with them in different locations:

Wireless router connected to cable modem and a USB Adapter for the TIVO unit.

Sonic
Thanks Sonic!
Old 01-04-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With a network adapter your Tivo can do the following:

- Setup of the latest Tivos (7.1.x sw and up) can be done without a phone line. My tivo has never touched a phone jack.

- TivoToGo can dump a show to PC for archival or DVD burning. (There is also an embedded webserver that allows you to do this w/o TTG).

- TivoToGo can send an mpeg2 encoded show back to the Tivo. Other encoding formats must be transcoded to mpeg2 before transfer.

- Stream MP3 music and images from your PC. Heck, plug in a digital camera or flash drive and you can view it directly in your living room.

- Lots of online streaming content becomes available. Streamcast radio, podcasts, live traffic cameras, traffic reports, real time weather with local radar, webcams, local movie schedules, local event listings, etc. Plus a Java API is available to develop other applications. And streaming content does not interfere with recording shows. (For example: I now stream shoutcast instead of listening to Dish's Sirius audio-only stations so that I can concurrently record shows).

- Multi-Room Viewing allows you to watch a show stored on one Tivo on another. The Tivo streams it live over the network.

- Online scheduling up to an hour ahead of time instead of 36 hours ahead with the phone line. You can be at work, log into Tivo.com, and tell your Tivo to record a show that you forgot to set up.

- Pushed video content. Tivo is experimenting with content delivery over the broadband connection.

More is coming. I would hold onto the adapter, especially if it works.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 01-04-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Many of those features aren't available to all TiVos. It would depend on his model.
Old 01-04-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
I've always had a problem with hooking up TIVO via internet. I bought the recommended wireless USB adapters, I can connect fine and even transfer shows from one to the other, but I can't reliably download the programming guide. Argh.
Old 01-05-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Many of those features aren't available to all TiVos. It would depend on his model.
I have series 2 with ver. 7.2 something. I got one of the last Netgear WG111 from Best Buy. I don't know if it works or not, since I havn't opened the box so I can return it, but it is reccomended (one thumbs up) by TiVo.com.

I will probably take it back, and if any new exciting things come up, I can buy a new one.
Old 01-06-06, 07:57 AM
Banned

I just found out I can stream video from my pc to my tivo.

I'm happy.
Old 01-06-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tivo is going to put a major emphasis on broadband connected Tivos. You can currently sign up to have the videocast "Rocketboom" delivered to your Tivo. I'm sure other content will be coming that will only be available via broadband.

I have two Tivos and have them connected to wired ethernet network. I exchange shows but the biggest thing I use them for is to stream music from my computer through my stereo by way of the Tivo. I packed my CDs in the basement last month.