Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a new pair of stereo speakers for HT and regular CD listening, nothing fancy

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a new pair of stereo speakers for HT and regular CD listening, nothing fancy

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want a new pair of speakers to play with my 5.1 HT set up and to play an occasional music CD through. They will be powered by a Sony STR DE845 digital receiver.
I'm not looking for anything fancy, just whatever might be avaialble at Best Buy for like $300- $400 for the pair.
I have not been speaker shopping in probably over 10 years. What's a halfway decent brand for a decent price these days?
Old 12-26-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not been speaker shopping in probably over 10 years. What's a halfway decent brand for a decent price these days?
Frankly, nothing at Best Buy. My advice would be to take some cd's and find a specialty store such as Tweeter as a place to start.
Old 12-26-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well you are right about BB, and CC. Nothing there looked or sounded very decent in my price range.
i went to a local audio store and ended up getting some B&W DM601 S3's for $425 for the pair.
So far I'm really liking their sound for both music CD's and DVD's.
Old 12-26-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Good job. IMHO you can't go wrong with B&W.
Old 12-26-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
Well you are right about BB, and CC. Nothing there looked or sounded very decent in my price range.
i went to a local audio store and ended up getting some B&W DM601 S3's for $425 for the pair.
Now that is how to do it, congrats!

I am a former owner of 602's and have CM4's in one room and B&W inwalls in my theater!
Old 12-27-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
great speakers - congrats!
Old 12-27-05, 11:16 AM
Banned

You made a good choice. I have a B&W subwoofer, the model number? well, I'll have to locate the manual, or just look on the back of the unit, since it's been a few years but anyway, it function magnificent, with no problems at all. I am completely satisfied with it's performance.