Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any songs from 2005 be remember in 10-15 years.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-26-05, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love listening to songs from the early 90's and 80's. I even love listening to the oldies station in my car. But music nowadays, don't seem like it has legs. The past couple of years once the song gets overplayed nobody likes it anymore, and it is all pop music. So will any current songs from this year be remembered.

The only songs i can think of are some of the Songs from Greenday. Like American Idoit, When September Ends. This was a very bad year in music.
Old 12-26-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think "My Humps" will be remembered, but not in a good way.
Old 12-26-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Green Day songs were from 2004, not 2005. You're right though; this was not a great year for songwriting. Maybe the one song with lasting potential is Bruce Springsteen's "Devils And Dust", which while nowhere near Bruce's best work and having a pretty forgettable melody, has some pretty universal writing on the nature of warfare and insight into the mind of a soldier that might well keep it memorable for a long time.
Old 12-26-05, 02:07 PM

I'd have to say everything from The Black Eyed Peas will live forever, but only because Best Buy will never stop playing that stupid commercial.

LOUDAH!

I do like Game's Hate it or Love it remix, that'll be on the rap oldies station.
Old 12-26-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Audioslave will be remembered.

Mars Volta? Death Cab for Cutie?
Old 12-26-05, 04:35 PM
Banned

The way music has headed starting in the 90's, the only way a song from this year will be remembered is if it's sampled by a rap group.
Old 12-26-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Ordinary people
Old 12-26-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
The way music has headed starting in the 90's, the only way a song from this year will be remembered is if it's sampled by a rap group.
Yes, I can't wait to see what Just Blaze does with Hoobastank's "The Reason".

<hr>

Now for all you naysayers, I suggest you simply stop listening to the radio. Since the beginning of time, radio has been playing crap. That hasn't changed, that's not going to change. You may have occasional stations that are pretty good, but when was the last time radio discovered a critically well-received act? (Not that the critics are the end-all and be-all, but I would rather have any music critic pick my songs over the programming manager at 105.5 "The Zone" or whatever the radio station is called).

The answer is yes. I will not name any particular albums that I will be listening to because that's a bit of poppycock. But what I can do is tell you albums I've listened to from 1995 and 1990 this year:

Björk - Post
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swordz
Keith Jarrett - At the Blue Note
Greyboy Allstars - West Coast Boogaloo
Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
311 - 311 (The Blue Album)
Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight Yeah
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
Pulp - Different Class
Radiohead - The Bends
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts
Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura
that dog. - Totally Crushed Out

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels
Happy Mondays - Thrills, Pills, and Bellyaches
Breeders - Pod
Depeche Mode - Violator
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Savvy Show Stoppers

These are albums that I personally still listen to. often And many of these albums were picked to be some of the best albums ever in the MusicTalk draft thread.

Now, 1990 is a bit thinner than 1995 (and I think that overall 1990 was a terrible year for music). Go another five years to 1985, and you've got Hunting High and Low, The Covenant the Sword and the Arm of the Lord, The First Born is Dead, Wide Awake in America...

My point is that there is plenty of music from this year which I will remember, and continue to listen to. I know the question is being asked rhetorically, but it's a stupid question. Of course people will remember it.

If you think there isn't any memorable music, you're not listening hard enough.
Old 12-26-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShallowHal

I do like Game's Hate it or Love it remix, that'll be on the rap oldies station.

That is one of the very few rap songs I actually can listen to.
Old 12-26-05, 11:25 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I can't believe we keep having these "music today just isn't as good as music was when I was younger" threads, especially in a year with fantastic albums by artists like Spoon, The Decemberists, Ryan Adams, Franz Ferdinand, My Morning Jacket...
Old 12-27-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Laffy Taffy.
Old 12-27-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe The Bus tells us not to listen to the radio and then suggests we listen to 311.
Old 12-27-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
You all know that Gwen's "Hollaback Girl" will be hailed as the crowning achievement in this decade of music.
Old 12-27-05, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I can't believe we keep having these "music today just isn't as good as music was when I was younger" threads, especially in a year with fantastic albums by artists like Spoon, The Decemberists, Ryan Adams, Franz Ferdinand, My Morning Jacket...
I have never even heard of any off these artist. So in 10-15 years with nobody will remember these artist. People remember artist when they hit it big, like Oasis or Sublime, and they get a cult following, but i have never heard of any of these people. So why would they ever play them on the oldies station in the years to come.
Old 12-27-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason you've probably never heard of Ryan Adams is cuz he puts out a new album like every 5 years.

K
Old 12-27-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I can't believe The Bus tells us not to listen to the radio and then suggests we listen to 311.
I never suggested you listen to 311. I listened to 311 to revisit it and see if I still liked it as much. It was OK. (There's some songs on their 1999 album which are spectacular).
Old 12-27-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by csim
I have never even heard of any off these artist. So in 10-15 years with nobody will remember these artist. People remember artist when they hit it big, like Oasis or Sublime, and they get a cult following, but i have never heard of any of these people. So why would they ever play them on the oldies station in the years to come.
You've definitely heard Franz Ferdinand.
Old 12-27-05, 11:38 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
The reason you've probably never heard of Ryan Adams is cuz he puts out a new album like every 5 years.

K

Wow, you really don't know anything about Ryan Adams, do you?

Heartbreaker (2000)

Gold (2001)

Demolition (2002)

Rock n Roll (2003)

Love is Hell (2004)

Cold Roses (2005)

Jacksonville City Nights (2005)

29 (2005)

That's an album every NINE MONTHS.
Old 12-27-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
he meant BRyan Adams..cut the guy some slack, an honest mistake.
Old 12-27-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
he meant BRyan Adams..cut the guy some slack, an honest mistake.
Actually, I think he was probably being sarcastic. A dishonest mistake, if you will.

Hey wendersfan, in the x-mas rush I still havent had a chance to pick up 29. How is it?
Old 12-27-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In terms of mainstream music, probably that Kanye West song.
Old 12-27-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Other catchy, "memorable" tunes:

Beck - Girl
Feist - Mushaboom
Broken Social Scene - Shoreline
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood, Yellow Country Teeth
Wolf Parade - You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son
Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

^ check some of those tunes out if you haven't heard em.
Old 12-27-05, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Other catchy, "memorable" tunes:

Beck - Girl
Feist - Mushaboom
Broken Social Scene - Shoreline
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood, Yellow Country Teeth
Wolf Parade - You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son
Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

^ check some of those tunes out if you haven't heard em.
just like i said, never heard of them, if they are so catchy then i should of heard of them. If nobody has heard of them how are they memorable, and why would they play them in 10 years.
Old 12-27-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
I'll be utterly amazed if radio hobbles along long enough for anything coming out today to receive play on an oldies station. And not that it matters, but Sublime's a pretty poor example to use in this discussion. The lead singer died a year before they became popular and they'd already been together for 8 years when he croaked. Using that model, there could be 2005 albums that 'have legs' that don't become popular for another couple years.

Anyway, I agree 100% with The Bus and wendersfan. For those of us that actually put effort into finding good music, there's plenty from 2005 we'll be listening to in 10-15 years. For the rest, if you don't like music enough to track down albums and artists that you truly enjoy, why do you even care if what's listened today will be remembered?
Old 12-27-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just like i said, never heard of them, if they are so catchy then i should of heard of them.
Wherever did you get that idea?

If nobody has heard of them how are they memorable, and why would they play them in 10 years.
Obviously, some members of this forum have heard them. They will be played in ten years because they are good songs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.