Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 audio problem - receiver shutting off

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-25-05, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having an odd problem. Hooked up my kids 360 today and using an optical cable for surround sound, I hooked the optical cable to my receiver (Yamaha R-V1105). When we play Tony Hawk Underground and the character is around the protesters yelling about saving the sheep, the sounds are causing the receiver to shut off/surge off. It's doing the same thing with King Kong per my children and wife.

In the past I had this problem and was able to resolve the problem because I had the speaker size set wrong in the receiver (B&W 302, 305, and CC3 btw), but since then I've never had a problem with the receiver kicking off like this. I checked the audio settings and everything is in order.

Any ideas as what I should do?

If this is the wrong forum move the thread, as it deals with both gaming and audio and I couldn't decide where to post.
Old 12-25-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like the receiver is going into auto protect mode.

It can happen for various reasons, but it's probably the speaker settings. Try lowering your bass/treble levels.
Old 12-25-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check your cable as well and the plug, i've had this happen on my Yamaha before it was due to a crappy monster cable. i got the 10 dollar walmart cable and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-25-05, 09:31 PM

Checked the cables earlier in the day and found one loose connection and corrected the problem.

Going to mess with the bass and trebble (think it's the trebble due to high pitches seem to be the problem) next.

I'll keep you in formed.
Old 12-26-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a hell of a time with the sound in King Kong. It sounded as if my speakers were filled with firecrackers each time Kong roared. I figured it was just the game since it had been reported to be kinda glitchy. Then the other night the power went off and on about 16 time and finally stayed off for 5 hours. That somehow messed up my optical ports on my receiver and it took me forever to remember how to reset and calibrate the thing.

I never had the issue when I rented Tony Hawk but Kong was very annoying. So far no other game has been giving me issues and I have no heard anything since I reset everything. I'm guessing my kitten is the reason for the loose cables and I'm keeping a yard stick handy to help "coax" her out from behind the TV. It's easily the worst habit she has and she is a pretty crazy little shit.
Old 12-26-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a glitch in the game...

But, did you check your speaker wire connections? If any of the speaker wires are touching another piece of speaker wire, or metal they shouldn't be, at high volumes it causes it to go to Auto Protect mode.

I know when I first started this addiction, that was the problem I was having with my HT, it was fine all the time, until I'd watch an action movie. The moment the bullets started firing, my speakers' miswiring would cause the receier to shut down.
Old 12-26-05, 04:12 PM

Well, my problem now extends beyond the Xbox 360, because while watching Fantastic Four when Dr. Doom fires the heat seeking rocket launcher, the firing of the missle caused my receiver to shut down. Turned down the volume and it doesn't cut off. sigh

I'll go back and recheck the speaker wiring to see if it's touching anything, as I just got a new TV and had to move around a lot of things which could have knocked loose some speaker connections.
Old 12-26-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should also make sure your speaker wires are not loose at the speaker. Sometimes you get a few errant strands that cross the wires, which can cause auto-protect to engage.
Old 12-26-05, 10:57 PM

Well, no more loose wires beyond I found earlier today.

Checked to see if any of the wires were touching but didn't see anything and to see if any wires were touching the receiver besides at the connection points and didn't see anything. Decided to push the wires apart a little and tighten the wrap around the connections.

Then replayed the Fantastic Four DVD at the point where I could test the audio problem along with testing Tony Hawk Wasteland where the protesters are chanting about Woolie Bullies and no problems at all.

OT: What movie was it that the kid freaks out about the woolie bullies or something like that? My wife remembered some movie with that in it and started laughing saying the Tony Hawk game was referring to it. Anyone know if there some truth to what she's claiming?
Old 12-27-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you might have some leaking caps inside the receiver, that would make things act weird. same as computer motherboards you get intermit sound issues, random power on/off, strange smells, and just in general scratching your head because your stuff is being a pain in the ass.
Old 12-28-05, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
you might have some leaking caps inside the receiver, that would make things act weird. same as computer motherboards you get intermit sound issues, random power on/off, strange smells, and just in general scratching your head because your stuff is being a pain in the ass.
Leaking caps? Ok, what's that?

Heck, I might be able to convince the warden (wife is what most call them, hehe) that we need a new receiver so that she can watch her movies if I can come up with a good enough reason.