Reload this Page >

Receiving a DVD with a damaged box

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-21-05, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all,
I just received The Sixth Sense Vista Series from deepdiscount, and unfortunately found the box to be creased and flimsy, and in pretty poor shape. I was unable to notice this until the packaging was off. If I really want a new box, what is the best way to go about it? I thought about using half.com and possibly buying another set, albeit used, and then just re-sell the used copy with my box. This will not guarantee anything though. Is it possible to get in touch with a seller on half.com before purchasing? I know it used to be but i cant find that option anymore. anyway, thanks a lot for the help.
Old 12-21-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jigga6286
hey all,
I just received The Sixth Sense Vista Series from deepdiscount, and unfortunately found the box to be creased and flimsy, and in pretty poor shape. I was unable to notice this until the packaging was off. If I really want a new box, what is the best way to go about it? I thought about using half.com and possibly buying another set, albeit used, and then just re-sell the used copy with my box. This will not guarantee anything though. Is it possible to get in touch with a seller on half.com before purchasing? I know it used to be but i cant find that option anymore. anyway, thanks a lot for the help.
Just email DDD, tell them what you got (basically that it's thrashed). They'll send you a prepaid shipping label, you'll send it to them, when they get it they'll send you a new one. You have to wait, but no expense (and since it's prepaid, you won't even have to wait in line at the post office).
Old 12-21-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286
hey all,

Call DDD, don't e-mail them. See if you can convince the middle-eastern guy that answers your call to transfer you to someone that can speak English better than him (and without the heavy accent). You'll get quicker results. Last time I e-mailed DDD, it was about 2 weeks before I got a response.
Old 12-21-05, 03:14 PM

They're Indian, not Middle Eastern. And they've always worked for me.
Old 12-21-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
They're Indian, not Middle Eastern. And they've always worked for me.
OK, Indian. It's still outsourcing. Unless DDD expects me to believe that in mid November they fired their entire customer service staff and found that many Indain people in the immediate area to work the phones, that is. I never get connected to an American anymore.

I'm tired of dealing with people that have heavy accents that make it hard for me to understand, and a limited grasp of the English language that makes it hard for them to understand me.
Old 12-21-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Call DDD, don't e-mail them. See if you can convince the middle-eastern guy that answers your call to transfer you to someone that can speak English better than him (and without the heavy accent). You'll get quicker results. Last time I e-mailed DDD, it was about 2 weeks before I got a response.
Wow, I used to feel you had to call, but I emailed three times recently, and got a response within two days. When I've had to do returns they've emailed me the label, so it's been really quick. Obviously MovieExchange has different results so YMMV.

I'm a little confused why he wants to call rather than email since he can't understand them and doesn't want to talk to them, but that's not really my problem.
Old 12-21-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know you bought this from DDD, but Amazon is best for exchanges. When I call them, they send me out a new copy with 2-Day service, then I print out the shipping label and return it in the same box. So I always have my (defective) copy. Couldn't be simpler.
Old 12-21-05, 04:29 PM

I've emailed DDD many times and have *never* received a non-automated response. And no, it's not because they get caught in my spam filter.

I put in a pricematch request about a month ago and it hasn't been adjusted. When I call them up, the Indian gentleman tells me that he can reimburse me...once I receive authorization via email. Which I have to wait to receive, because neither he, nor anyone with him, is empowered to do.

As far as damaged stuff, I've received damaged cases and scratched/loose disks. Even if they play fine, I'm not taking the risk. I'm waiting for the last of my shipments to arrive before I send them back.
Old 12-21-05, 05:54 PM

One of the reasons I gripe about DDD's packaging/shipping. They just put some kraft paper in there and ship it out. I'd rather they shrinkwrap it like AMAZON or at least do something to keep the DVDs from crashing around inside the boxes.
Old 12-21-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by John*D
...I'd rather they shrinkwrap it like AMAZON or at least do something to keep the DVDs from crashing around inside the boxes.
That might be one of the reasons DDD can keep the lowest prices out there. YGWYPF
Old 12-22-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I'm a little confused why he wants to call rather than email since he can't understand them and doesn't want to talk to them, but that's not really my problem.
Well, sorry you have such a hard time understanding things. Let me make it easier for you.

E-mailing takes weeks. Calling takes one call. I may get frustrated with Hadji on the other end, but eventually I can find someone that I can understand, and I get the problem taken care of right then.
Old 12-24-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta
if i don't receive a damaged box from DDD then it's a miracle and cause for celebration.
I know that everytime there's a 20% off sale some of the items, particularly boxsets, will arrive damaged. If the box is heavily damaged, obviously I do an exchange. If the damage is slight/moderate it's generally not worth the hassle and I'll usually just keep it. A tradeoff for getting DDD's great prices. I'd be HAPPY to pay an extra 25 cents (or whatever is necessary) per item to have the packages packed more securely - but unfortunately DDD doesn't offer that as an option.
Old 12-24-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
OK, Indian. It's still outsourcing. Unless DDD expects me to believe that in mid November they fired their entire customer service staff and found that many Indain people in the immediate area to work the phones, that is. I never get connected to an American anymore.
You shop there because of their very low prices, and then complain when they try to save money any way they can (especially when selling a product like DVDs, that have such a low profit margin to begin with). I'm afraid that it's often difficult to have it both ways.
Old 12-24-05, 11:32 AM

Yeah, I've received a fair amount of disks from DDD that I'll be sending back next week because they were loose or beat up, but in the context of how many I ordered and what they cost me, I'm not going to complain.

Assuming my refunds go through without a hassle, obviously.
Old 12-24-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem with ordering digipack-style dvd's online, more often than not they arrive in less than perfect condition.

The one's I've gotten haven't really been beat-up to the extent that warranted sending them back. But I'd assume just going thru who you bought it from would be best. I've always emailed DDD and gotten a response (usually favorable) within 3-4 days.
Old 12-24-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, that's the problem with ordering digipack-style dvd's online, more often than not they arrive in less than perfect condition.

The one's I've gotten haven't really been beat-up to the extent that warranted sending them back. But I'd assume just going thru who you bought it from would be best. I've always emailed DDD and gotten a response (usually favorable) within 3-4 days.
Yea....that's true too. I rarely have a problem with amazon, but have had it happen to me their too. It just happens to me alot more frequently at DDD. Like al tahoe said above. I too would gladly pay extra for some padding in the box.
Old 12-24-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed them about Arrested Development Season 2 two weeks ago with no response. The case wasnt damaged, it just did not have the outer orange slipcase! I feel like this is part of the packaging so I should have gotten it....or I should have at least gotten a response. Ill be calling Monday or Tuesday though.
Old 12-25-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
I emailed them about Arrested Development Season 2 two weeks ago with no response. The case wasnt damaged, it just did not have the outer orange slipcase! I feel like this is part of the packaging so I should have gotten it....or I should have at least gotten a response. Ill be calling Monday or Tuesday though.
Just so you know... some of the people who ordered from Amazon were having the same problem. It was discussed in this thread... linky.

At least one of the people in that thread said that they called Fox, and Fox sent them a replacement slipcase.

Fox Home Entertainment Hours of Operation (PST): M-F 8AM-5PM
1-888-223-2FOX
Old 12-25-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is why I refuse to order DVDs with cardboard packaging through the mail. Exception being if there's no other way to get a given title. Slip covers will often be creased, as will boxed sets, which boast the added delight of dented corners. Factory sealed, yet abused--even for releases that have just appeared on store shelves. Sucks.

--THX
Old 12-25-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, sorry you have such a hard time understanding things. Let me make it easier for you.

E-mailing takes weeks. Calling takes one call. I may get frustrated with Hadji on the other end, but eventually I can find someone that I can understand, and I get the problem taken care of right then.
That doesn't work for Dell. I tried to return a camera and it was absolute hell. At least 4 hours on the phone. I'm not kidding.

DDD was very simple. I wish they could send just the box since everything else was fine but oh well...
Old 12-27-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Just so you know... some of the people who ordered from Amazon were having the same problem. It was discussed in this thread... linky.

At least one of the people in that thread said that they called Fox, and Fox sent them a replacement slipcase.

Fox Home Entertainment Hours of Operation (PST): M-F 8AM-5PM
1-888-223-2FOX
I called Fox earlier this month and they sent me a replacement slipcase. I bought my copy from Amazon though.