Reload this Page >

Newbie needs help with video game selections

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-21-05, 11:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last system I owned was the Nintendo with Super Mario. So you can say I've been a little out of sync with the latest gaming news. Looking to possibly get back in it, I want to see at a glance which ones are multiplayer on one system, 2 player simultaneous or 2 player alternating. I want to get something for the family so many can play at once. I don't care much for the 1 player games, which tend to dominate the selection.

I'm open to all the latest consoles/systems. I'm more interested in gathering info on finding a list of such games first (multiplayer, 2 simul. players, etc). Are there any sites that list all the games for each console/system and are searchable by the number of players?
Old 12-21-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you want a family friendly Nintendo product. I guess it depends what kind of games you are looking for. Sports, Racing, Fighting, FPS, Puzzle, RPG.

Most of the consoles have cross-platform games. The Nintendo Revolution will be able to play EVERY Nintendo product (supposedly).

If you want ONLINE play, XBOX is the best thus far...with the 360 improving on it greatly.
Old 12-21-05, 11:37 AM

fyi

xbox has 4 controller ports
gamecube has 4 controller ports
PS2 has 2 controller ports and an adaptor to add more.
xbox 360 supports 4 controllers.

From a software support perspective both the xbox and gamecube have many games that support 4 players, where-as the PS2 has some as well but need the adaptor.
Old 12-21-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with the Xbox's lineup, but between PS2 and Gamecube, you'd definitely want a Gamecube if your primary motivation was fun multiplayer games.
Old 12-21-05, 01:38 PM

If we get a system, it's going to be a family system. Sounds like the GC is the leader and I thought it would be. But any info on sites with advanced searches on games?

I did find Nintendo's site which has the Rev. info and a searchable list of games. Maybe I'll wait for the Rev. console while I continue checking out the others.

Last edited by mapson; 12-21-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Waiting for a Rev might be the best idea especially if the retro catalogue pans out as rumored. In addition to old Nintendo games, the talk is now that we'll see many Sega games primarily from the Genesis era as well as Konami and Capcom libraries. Full details should be provided no later than E3 in May.

If you want something more immediate, don't overlook the current Mario Party 7 Gamecube bundle. You get the system, the game, a microphone, and 2 controllers for $100.
Old 12-21-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the MP7 bundle is DEFINITELY the way to go!

Plus, lots of cheap GCN games are now available.
Old 12-21-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
What about some DSs?
Old 12-21-05, 06:43 PM

Family friendly and multiplayer fun are what the GC was built for. Games with Mario in the title alone will suffice. Waiting on the Revolution is a good idea also if you don't mind the long wait. As cheap as the GC is though, I say go for it.
Old 12-21-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I would definitely recommend a Gamecube now as well. The Revolution is probably another 6 months or more away, and a Gamecube sounds like it would do everything you're hoping for playing with your family. Smash Bros., Mario Kart, one of the Mario themed sports games if you have children into a particular sport; I can't see how you would be dissapointed.
Old 12-22-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Mario Party bundle sounds perfect for you, and if you are looking for a good another good mulitplayer game, pick up the Monkey Ball bundle (1 & 2)
Old 12-22-05, 08:41 AM

We don't need a system right away, so I don't mind the wait on the Revolution. I really like the idea it can play all the previous console's games, plus that new controller looks pretty interesting.
Old 12-22-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Like the others mention, Rev. sounds like the best bet, but the GC is very affordable right now. Plus if you end up getting a Rev., all the games will work on it. Plus, I thought the last word was that Revolution is headed for a Nov. launch, which would be a year away. You can definitely get plenty of use out of a GC before then. Not to menion building a great library of games.

The Mario games are a given, F-Zero for racing, and for family fun, you just can't beat monkeys in balls. Pikmin is amazing as well, but not so much a "party" game.
Old 12-22-05, 09:16 AM

Mario party 7 bundle is a great deal.. with two controller and also some store like TRU and Gamerush will give you another game (some of them still retail for $49.99) so you'll get 2 free games, 2 controller.. and you can pick up a LOTs of good cube games for less than $19.99 per game (if you are really a discount kinda guy.. you can get them around $10 or less per titles..)... game cube is a way to go for the family friendly system..