Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"One of the most famous edits ever done on film."

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I got this idea from reading the King Kong thread. There's a scene in both the 1933 original and the 2005 remake where
Spoiler:
Kong is tranquilized, then the next scene shows he is in New York City with no explanation as to how anyone managed to get a giant gorilla on a tiny boat and transport him there.
Peter Jackson reportedly said, "It's one of the most famous edits ever done on film."

So this got me to thinking, what other movies use this technique to forward the story along without any real exposition, since the "missing" scene would require an impossible feat that audiences would never accept?

I'll add my choice - the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones is on top of a Nazi submarine preparing to dive. The scene cuts to a map showing the path of the vessel, with no explanation as to how Indy held his breath for so long!
Old 12-19-05, 03:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think that it goes without saying that the most famous edit ever done would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey (the bone throw-space edit).
Old 12-19-05, 04:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
These are used with great effect in The Sixth Sense. For instance, we see a character try a door. It's locked. They reach into their pocket. Cut to the character, now inside the room. The audience fills in the blanks, and assumes the character pulled out some keys and unlocked the door...even though we never see it...to the point that some audience members swore after the film that they saw it happen.
Old 12-19-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I haven't seen it in a while, but how did they get the Trex on the boat in The Lost World? Did they lure it with it's young?
Old 12-19-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I haven't seen it in a while, but how did they get the Trex on the boat in The Lost World? Did they lure it with it's young?
They did when it escaped into San Diego. And it was tranquilized for the trip to the city, but they never explained how it managed to bite that guy's arm off and then lock itself in the hold again.
Old 12-19-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parker63
I think that it goes without saying that the most famous edit ever done would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey (the bone throw-space edit).
Isn't that more of a transition though?
Old 12-19-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. So does Jackson's Kong do it as an homage to the original, or because it would be too tough to pull off? Seems like he's a creative guy--he could have probably done it had he wanted to.
Old 12-19-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The most famous and dumbest edit is Guido shooting first in Star Wars.
Old 12-19-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Old 12-19-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Aside from the incorrect name, that also doesn't do what the original post was looking for.
Old 12-19-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Verna Fields not showing the shark until an hour into the film.
Old 12-19-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
I always wondered how the Pirate ship made it out of the cave in The Goonies. I'm assuming the falling rocks opened up a hole big enough but it seems like a collapsing cave would bury everything in it not make big enough for a giant ship to escape
Old 12-19-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
To a lesser degree - The Ear getting cut off in Reservoir Dogs and the needle to the heart in Pulp Fiction.

Power of suggestion.

Though, there are few edits that cut around as much as the one Kong.
Old 12-19-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2001 example is what's called a 'jump cut'. It is perhaps the most famous one in cinema history.
Old 12-19-05, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The 2001 example is what's called a 'jump cut'. It is perhaps the most famous one in cinema history.
Of course, you would know.
Old 12-19-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Aside from the incorrect name, that also doesn't do what the original post was looking for.
Thanks so much for all your guys help. Now I am going to go cry.
Old 12-19-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Guido?!?

OMG...I'm both dying and crying here!
Old 12-19-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In Kong, this "edit" wasn't a matter of trying to portray an impossible to believe or to accept scene, it simply wasn't necessary to the progression of the story in either the original or the remake. Same with the T-Rex in Lost World.

As for the Indy sub sequence, almost everyone thinks this is a faux pax, but the map with the moving line merely shows the sub's course. At no time is it ever indicated that the sub submerged. During WW2, German U-boats routinely ran at the surface unless engaged in action against the enemy.

As for the Goonies, the cave wasn't collapsing, it's just the sea entrance for the ship to get out that was being exposed. That's what One-Eyed Willie's treasure was all about..whoever made it past all his booby-traps would be rewarded with his ship and all the treasure. Which is why the movie should have ended with the kids on the ship. The Goonies ending still disappoints me.
Old 12-19-05, 07:37 PM

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,114 Posts
If you're wondering about a timejump in Raiders of the Lost Ark, how about the details on how Indy got the Ark off the island and back to the US!

(Note: The original script called for Indy to take the Ark onto a mine cart chase to get it onto a submarine off the island. The script was too long, the sequence was scrapped, and used later for Temple of Doom.)
Old 12-19-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lawrence of Arabia

Blowing out the match, then jump cut to the desert.
Old 12-19-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...Along the lines of what the original poster was discussing, my favorite edit would have to be from the X-files movie: they're stranded in Antartica with no food, minimal gear, no transportation, no way to contact anyone, and no one knows they're there. Cut to a scene in the hospital. They even acknowledged it in a late season episode.
Old 12-20-05, 10:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Andalusia
Lawrence of Arabia

Blowing out the match, then jump cut to the desert.
that was the first one that came to my mind as well.
Old 12-20-05, 10:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
there was also a scene from 'The Day After Tomorrow' where there's a build up to dialogue scene between Dennis Quaid and Ian Holm's characters that feels blatantly 'missing'.
Old 12-20-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

North by Northwest
Spoiler:
Cary Grant reaching for Eva Marie Saint, cut to them on the train, cut to train going into the tunnel.
Old 12-20-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
In Kong, this "edit" wasn't a matter of trying to portray an impossible to believe or to accept scene, it simply wasn't necessary to the progression of the story in either the original or the remake. Same with the T-Rex in Lost World.
Getting Kong back to New York is absolutely vital to the story. It's also pretty much physically impossible, so I'd say the edit was definitely meant to gloss over an impossible to believe scene.

It'd be like if there was a movie where the protagonists realized they had to get a glacier the size of New Hampshire to the moon in order to stop some disaster from happening and we see them discovering a glacier just the right size, followed by a cut to the glacier on the moon. Granted, the Kong example isn't quite that extreme, but it'd be the same principle.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.