Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

March Madness 06 vs College Hoops 2k6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
March Madness 06 vs College Hoops 2k6

Anyone played either one? I rented March Madness and it's a pile of crap. The gameplay is probably the worst basketball game I've played since those 989 Sony ones for the PS1. I had CH 2k5 and it was pretty good. Is 2k6 better than 2k5? It got a 8.8 and gamespot and March Madness got a 7. Any opinion on either one?
Old 12-19-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll rent 2K6 for the 360, but that's about it...I've liked the NBA games a bit more the past few years for some reason. I usually will pick the 2K series in NBA also.
Old 12-19-05, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a 2k sports fan ... so I would say 2k just from liking their other games... but that is my opition.
Old 12-19-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2K has always been the best basketball game and College Hoops is incredible. I put in hundreds of hours on College Hoops 2K5 and from the reviews 2K6 is even better.
Old 12-19-05, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
2K has always been the best basketball game and College Hoops is incredible. I put in hundreds of hours on College Hoops 2K5 and from the reviews 2K6 is even better.
It is.
Old 12-22-05, 08:38 AM

I picked up 2k6 and was let down a little. The controls have been changed a bit. R is used to shoot on free throws and in general while defensely it is used to swipe. Maybe more playing time can adjust my attitude. I guess I expected more of the same from 2k5.

As for March Madness they haven't been good since 2003.
Old 12-22-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like they used the NBA 2K6 controls then, eh?
Old 02-12-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody else have any other reviews on this?

I'm looking to pick up a basketball game for the X-Box and can't decide. I've never played either version for the X-Box so any more input would help.
Old 02-13-06, 11:23 PM

I'm playing 2K6 and I love it. Best college b-ball game out there. March Madness still feels slippery, like you're playing on ice.
Old 02-18-06, 12:28 PM
Retired

I picked up 2K6 last night for the PS2. It's pretty good, but haven't played enough to give detailed impressions yet.

One thing I liked is when you enter the player's names the announcers will start saying them and they'll show up on the jerseys.

Things I don't like is the controls are complicated with the shot stick etc. and you miss a LOT of open layups if you don't use the shot stick. And it seems to be a game where you'll have to learn to run plays, yet I didn't see anywhere in the practice mode where it demos the play and then has your try to run it. Looks like the closest thing is to just scrimmage and look at the moving play diagrams in the play book and figure them out for yourself. Hopefully I just missed something though.

Graphics aren't on par with NBA2K6 either.
Old 02-22-06, 10:23 AM
Retired

The interface in 2K6 is terrible. The instruction manual only goes over controls and online play, no info on the legacy mode (the season and franchise).

Took me about an hour to figure out how to get a season started with the regular coach, and how to save my typed in team roster.

That aside the gameplays great, other than some slowdown (PS2 version).
Old 02-22-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish 2k6 had the actually fight songs like March Madness does. It takes away from the atomsphere having some hip hop beat playing all the time.
Old 02-22-06, 10:32 AM
Retired

Yeah, the presentation is lacking for sure.

Hopefully we'll eventually get college hoops game on par with the EA NCAA Football series that has the gameplay and the presentation pretty much nailed.
Old 02-22-06, 10:11 PM
Retired

Definitely digging the gameplay in 2K6. I like that their are 5 difficulty settings rather than 4. In a lot of sports games the easiest setting I blow everyone out, and then I lose most of the time on the next setting up.

Here I started blowing people out on the lowest, bumped it up a notch and beat a couple very good teams by 10 or so in pretty hard fought games which is ideal for me.

And it doesn't seem like you need to learn to run plays (at least not on this setting) as it's pretty easy to just pass the ball around and watch for people making cuts/setting screens to get open shots.

WVU plays a lot like they do in real life, if you pass it around enough eventually someone will go backdoor for a layup or some one will pop out for an open 3. Pretty nifty.

Still not without flaws, I'd probably give it a 7.5/10.

PS2 version loses points for slowdown. The free throw shooting sucks. And the lack of fight songs hurts the atmosphere. Those combine to hold it back from getting a higher score.
Old 03-12-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
How do you rename the players in March Madness 06? I'm trying to rename all of the players using their real name. I see the screen where it says rosters but I can't figure it out. Thanks for any help you might have.

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 03-13-06 at 05:13 PM.