Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is continuing to make the $$$, so I can't say this comes as much of a surprise....

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=705&dl=7532925

Last edited by Damed; 12-19-05 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
A shame in some ways, because I think Caspian is a weaker book. It's almost a retread of Lion, Witch, Wardrobe (the kids come back, save Narnia again). "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," the third book, about a sea voyage to the world's end, will make a much better movie.
Old 12-19-05, 11:38 AM
Banned

I'm glad they are doing them in the order they were written (instead of the horrible chronilogical order they were recently released), but it makes me wonder how they will keep the same actors? Dawn Treader doesn't happen that long after LWW, but by the time they shoot the film, Lucy's character is going to be much older.
Old 12-19-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
A shame in some ways, because I think Caspian is a weaker book. It's almost a retread of Lion, Witch, Wardrobe (the kids come back, save Narnia again). "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," the third book, about a sea voyage to the world's end, will make a much better movie.
3 comes after 2 not 1.
Old 12-19-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
3 comes after 2 not 1.
How is that not exactly what I said? "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," the third book?
Old 12-19-05, 07:59 PM

when they do horse and his boy, will they keep the same older actors that played the older children? b/c the book takes place during the time of the golden reign. but if they do that, the guy playing peter will be like 40.

interestingly, if and when the last battle comes out, the story takes 9 years after LWW so the original children will be the right age for it.
Old 12-19-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
How is that not exactly what I said? "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," the third book?
I believe he was responding more to your comment about how it's a shame that Dawn Treader isn't next. Which it can't be because they are doing them in order. So therefore 2 comes after 1.
Old 12-20-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I thought A Horse & His Boy followed TLTW&TW? No? Is that the modern order?
Old 12-20-05, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The original order is:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

They put them in chronological order (which makes no sence when you read them because they reference books you haven't read yet):

The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle
Old 12-20-05, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
it follows it, but the story takes place during the last chapter of TLTW&TW.
Old 12-20-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks josh & beat. I started AHAHB last night, I guess I will skip and go to Prince Caspian and the original order.

It's been so long since I originally read them I wasn't sure.
Old 12-20-05, 10:24 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way to read them in chronological order is to rip pages out of 'Horse and His Boy' and glue them into 'Lion Witch Wardrobe'. Theres a few other inconsistancies when you try to read them chronologically, like references to other books in the series that havent been read. I prefer to read them in the original published order and think they're best that way. The only reason they put them in the modern (and only available order unfortunatley)order is because Lewis was being nice in a letter to a smart alek kid who thought the other way was better.
Old 01-06-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More info:

A representative of Walden Media, the producers of "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", revealed on the company's message board word that director Andrew Adamson and the four children - Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell - have signed on again for the sequel - "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian".

In "Prince Caspian," troubled times have come to Narnia as it is gripped by civil war. Prince Caspian is forced to blow The Great Horn of Narnia, summoning the help of past heroes, Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Now they must overthrow Caspian's uncle, King Miraz, to restore peace to Narnia. The first film has earned $456.5 million worldwide and is still growing.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060106a.php

I'll be there.
Old 01-06-06, 12:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest, I'm not going to be too heartbroken when/if they have to recast these kids for future sequels. Not that they were bad or anything, but they were all rather interchangeable IMO. It's not like the Harry Potter kids where I instantly grew attached to those actors as those characters.
Old 01-06-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Wonder if they will use the Phish song?
Old 01-06-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's going to take some really artful screenwriting to make an exciting and compelling movie out of Prince Caspian. (But I'm still glad they're going in this order.)

After the 4 kids go back to Narnia at the very beginning of the book, they wander around for a bit, then meet a character who tells them a very long backstory, taking up almost half the book. They're the main characters, I guess, but they don't *do* much of anything in this story, and there's practically no action at all. It's not going to be easy to keep the hype going. Dawn Treader is another matter: just begging for a big budget movie. I think that's the reason that the old BBC/Wonderworks daytime-TV version melded Caspian & Dawn Treader into a single sequel of sorts...

Last edited by adamblast; 01-06-06 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree. I just finished Caspian and it is going to have to be creative to stretch and make an interesting enough 90 minute film. There is a cool battle in the end that will be great on screen though, assuming
Spoiler:
the actor who plays Peter gets some better sword training.
Old 02-02-06, 12:24 PM

Walt Disney Pictures & Walden Media Begin Pre-Production on 'The Chronicles of Narnia

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060202/lath060.html?.v=44

Press Release Source: Walt Disney Pictures

Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media Begin Pre-Production on 'The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian,' Next Big-Screen Installment of the 'Narnia' Chronicles; Director Andrew Adamson Set to Return

Thursday February 2, 6:00 am ET

BURBANK, Calif., Feb. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media, in collaboration with Academy AwardŽ-nominated director Andrew Adamson, have begun pre-production on "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian," the next big screen installment of the "Narnia" Chronicles, and the follow-up to the international blockbuster, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," it was announced today (2/2). The latter film, based on the works of C. S. Lewis, has attracted legions of moviegoers all over the world and has grossed in excess of $637.8 million to date at the worldwide box office. It also received three Academy AwardŽ nominations earlier this week. Internationally, "Narnia" already ranks as Buena Vista's top grossing live-action release of all-time (surpassing both "Armageddon" and "Pirates of the Caribbean") with its gross to date of $359.4 million." Domestically, the film's gross currently stands at $278 million and has already established itself as the Studio's third highest-grossing live-action film of all-time. The film is on track to become Buena Vista's all-time live-action champ, surpassing "Pirates of the Caribbean's" worldwide gross of $655 million.

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian," will reunite most of the principal cast and creative team responsible for "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Andrew Adamson ("Shrek," "Shrek 2") will reprise his role as director, in addition to serving as a producer, and co-writer (in collaboration with Christopher Markus and Steve McFeeley). Production is set to begin later this year for a Christmas 2007 release. "Prince Caspian" finds the Pevensie siblings pulled back into the land of Narnia, where a thousand years have passed since they left. The children are once again enlisted to join the colorful creatures of Narnia in combating an evil villain who prevents the rightful Prince from ruling the land. "Prince Caspian" was first published in 1951, and is the second book in the seven-book series written by Lewis. It was intended as a continuation of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" have sold over 100 million copies worldwide, and continues to be one of the best loved and most popular series of all time.

Commenting on the announcement, Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said, "We're thrilled to be working with such a great director as Andrew, and our friends at Walden Media, in bringing the next chapter of the 'Narnia' chronicles to the big screen. Moviegoers around the world were unanimous in their love and enthusiasm for 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe,' and 'Prince Caspian' offers lots of new thrills and adventures in this magical land. The C. S. Lewis books are a rich source of inspiration for great storytelling, and this book spotlights some wonderful new heroes, and villains, along with many of the characters we came to love so much in the first film."

Cary Granat, co-founder and CEO of Walden Media, added, "Andrew Adamson, who possesses an unparalleled passion and vision for the 'Narnia' books, brought C. S. Lewis' world to life in an imaginative and exciting way. With 'Prince Caspian,' moviegoers will have an opportunity to revisit the magic of Narnia, encountering exciting new creatures and lands within Narnia alongside their favorite characters from these beloved books. Dick Cook and Disney have been amazing partners on this project and we look forward to working with them on this and other future installments in the 'Narnia' franchise."

Adamson said, "Making 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' couldn't have been a more rewarding experience, not just in terms of creative achievement and audience response, but also because of the family we formed during production. 'Prince Caspian' not only gives me an opportunity to challenge my imagination with another classic story, it also allows me to work alongside the many talented artists who contributed to the first film, and of course to collaborate again with 'The Pevensies,' Georgie, Skandar, Anna, and William."

Chris
Old 02-02-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449293

Maybe a mod could merge these two threads, since one had a discussion in progress and this one has new info.
Old 02-02-06, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I didn't see that old thread in my search, though I didn't go back that far since this press release was from today.

Chris
Old 02-07-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Prince Caspian Casted!

Prince Caspian has now been casted and the role will be played by the 25-year-old, British actor, Ben Barnes. It has been reported that he has signed a three-film contract, which will consist of Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair.

COUNTINGDOWN.com
Old 02-07-07, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Prince Caspian Casted!

Prince Caspian has now been casted and the role will be played by the 25-year-old, British actor, Ben Barnes. It has been reported that he has signed a three-film contract, which will consist of Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair.

COUNTINGDOWN.com
hmm interesting they picked such an older actor, seeing as how in PC, caspian is the same age as Peter which would be around 14-15, and he's 6 years older than the guy who plays peter.

and in Silver Chair, Caspian is an old man...like really old, are they planning massive makeup? or maybe he's just playing the caspian at the end of the book...
Old 02-08-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Anyone know what the projected release is for this, since i am assuming there is no way in hell it will be ready for the Christman '07 that is stated in the previous announcement.
Old 02-08-07, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warwick Davis is Nikabrik in Narnia
Source: Walt Disney Pictures February 8, 2007

Walt Disney Pictures has announced that Warwick Davis has been cast as Nikabrik, the Black Dwarf in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Davis adds "Narnia" to an impressive list of fantasy-adventure films, including roles in the "Star Wars" and "Harry Potter" movies.

The actor joins a cast that includes Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, Anna Popplewell, William Moseley, Ben Barnes, Alicia Borrachero, Peter Dinklage and Vincent Grass, as well as Liam Neeson as the voice of Aslan.

The sequel will start principal photography next week in New Zealand.
Old 02-08-07, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Anyone know what the projected release is for this, since i am assuming there is no way in hell it will be ready for the Christman '07 that is stated in the previous announcement.
Release Date: May 16, 2008

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.