Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why don't people like _____ and how can people like ____

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a two part question:

1. What movie do you love that many/most people hate?
2. What movie do you hate that many/most people like/love?

For me, I can't understand why I've never talked to anyone who's like The Thin Red Line (which I think is far superior to Saving Private Ryan).

And I will never, ever understand how anyone could like Matrix Reloaded (or the last one, for that matter).
Old 12-16-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I loved Daredevil and hated Return of the King, so that should get this thread off to a "flaming" start.
Old 12-16-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're all individuals - we all have different tastes.
Old 12-16-05, 12:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would say that most people hated the Matrix sequels.
Old 12-16-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
We're all individuals - we all have different tastes.
You running for Congress? 'Cause you sure sound like a politician!
Old 12-16-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm glad I'm not most people.
Old 12-16-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Really? I got the impression that the vast majority of die-hard fans really liked them. I really REALLY liked the original, and thought the second and third were straight-to-video crap.

To me, it's almost as people who say they like the new Matrixes (and Star Wars) KNOW they are crap, but they're such big fans of the originals, they just can't bring themselves to admit they are just not good so they talk themselves into liking them.
Old 12-16-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by modfather
You running for Congress? 'Cause you sure sound like a politician!
I would, but no one will vote me.
Old 12-16-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I would, but no one will vote me.
I like your platform - I'll vote for you! Now, answer the damn questions!
Old 12-16-05, 01:01 PM

For me it's:

1 - Why doesn't anyone like The Village? I thought it was a well crafted work. It's just everyone was going in expecting something scary and tried to guess the super secret ending, which I felt was the incorrect way to approach it.

2 - And I can't understand why anyone likes Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith. (I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, haha) But seriously, I thought this was the worst of the series, and quite possibly my least favorite film of 2005.
Old 12-16-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
To me, it's almost as people who say they like the new Matrixes (and Star Wars) KNOW they are crap, but they're such big fans of the originals, they just can't bring themselves to admit they are just not good so they talk themselves into liking them.
To me, it's almost as people who say they hate the new Matrixes (and Star Wars) KNOW they are good, but they're such big fans of the originals, they just can't bring themselves to admit they are good so they follow the other sheep and are closed minded about them and can't form an opinion of their own.
Old 12-16-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
1. Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever- pretty sure everyone hated this movie but me.

2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels- I always get heat when i mention how much i despise this move, so apparently the masses love it which i just will never understand since i think it is the most unfunny "comedy" i have ever had the displeasure of watching.
Old 12-16-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you go by the internet, everyone in the world hated TPM. I really liked it. It re sparked my interest in films again.

I hated Signs in which everyone seemed to love. I went in believing I would see an Alien movie and I got a man finding his faith movie.
Old 12-16-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't like Vertigo (yikes...)

But I did like 8MM, which got shafted in reviews.
Old 12-16-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
To me, it's almost as people who say they hate the new Matrixes (and Star Wars) KNOW they are good, but they're such big fans of the originals, they just can't bring themselves to admit they are good so they follow the other sheep and are closed minded about them and can't form an opinion of their own.
Good comeback
Old 12-16-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume you liked both sets of movies, then. A perfect comeback, considering. However, I did stand in a long line to see Matrix 2 on opening day, so I did form my own opinion. I'm just amazed that it's not shared by everyone. heheh.
Old 12-16-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. What movie do you love that many/most people hate?
The only one I can think of is 8MM. I guess many people hate it.

EDIT: Thought of another one: Vanilla Sky (2001)

2. What movie do you hate that many/most people like/love?
How about 28 Days Later? What a suck-fest. I never have seriously wanted to walk out on a movie until this one. I kept thinking that any minute now a move was going to break out. It didn't. I still can't believe how many people like this one.

EDIT: And another: A Beautiful Mind

Last edited by awmurray; 12-16-05 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 03:07 PM
Cool New Member

For me:

1.) I found Wicker Park to be a very complex film. True, it was pretentious in that it tried too deliberately to contort your perceptions and expectations, but the cinematic style utilized by director Paul McGuigan was fascinating and Matthew Lilliard was actually convincing and effectual in his comedic and sympathetic role. Only complaint: Josh Hartnett was too emotional distant, but otherwise a film that I thoroughly enjoy...

2.) I found Butterfly Effect to be very pretentious and ostentatious which caused me to become annoyed often with the film. Also, Ashton Kutcher, though by no means horrible, was very much miscasted and unsuitable for his role. Though it features moments of exemplary intelligence it ultimate fails under it's own ambitions. [Also, though not really fair to include in discussing it's artistic qualities, the narrative's content features sadistic, tastelss violence and sexual perversion that may be off-putting for some viewers]
Old 12-16-05, 03:15 PM

[Fingers in ears]Yoda doing backflips and jumping around like Sonic the Hedgehog when he fights does not look silly ... does not look silly ... la la la la la ... I can't hear you [/Fingers in ears]
Old 12-16-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that must be it.

I don't understand how anyone could like Fight Club.
Old 12-16-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I like them for the eye candy that they are. As far as story ...

I HATED Polar Express.
Old 12-16-05, 03:32 PM

1. I love House of 1,000 Corpses . It was terifically entertaining and a great first feature for Rob Zombie.

2. I hate Moulin Rouge .
Old 12-16-05, 03:40 PM

1. I loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I just thought it was a really cool adventure film.

2. I absolutely loathe the Harry Potter films. I even get annoyed when a new one opens, because that means I'll have to change channel every time a trailer comes on or one of the stars are on Leno, Letterman or Conan.
Old 12-16-05, 03:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

1) Jersey Girl

2) American Pie
Old 12-16-05, 04:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Yocke
1. I loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I just thought it was a really cool adventure film.
Second that! A wonderful homage to the classic serials of the 30's and 40's. Captured the essense of those adventures magnificently! True, the story was thin... but weren't the stories featured in the serials thin as well? I believe this was a deliberate act by the filmmakers in trying to produce a semblance that reflected those serials.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.