DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Arrested Devlopment to Showtime? - more from Variety

DRG
12-14-05, 09:24 AM
Sorry to mods if this belonged in some existing thread...

Inside Move: Nets keen to get 'Arrested'
Ratings-challenged laffer's third-season order recently cut

By DENISE MARTIN, JOSEF ADALIAN

'Arrested Development'
Ratings-challenged critical darling 'Arrested Development,' in limbo at Fox, has drawn interest from both ABC and Showtime.

Fox still hasn't officially canceled "Arrested Development," but if it does, other networks are interested in the show.

Both ABC and Showtime have had conversations with 20th Century Fox TV and indicated they're open to making a deal for new episodes of the critically beloved, Emmy-winning comedy from creator Mitch Hurwitz. No formal negotiations have taken place, and there are still numerous hurdles that might prevent such a move -- including the show's hefty pricetag.

That said, those familiar with the talks described them as serious, with Showtime said to be in particularly hot pursuit of the ratings-challenged laffer, now on life support at Fox. SkeinSkein's third-season order was recently cut to 13 episodes.

Showtime could be a good place for "Arrested." Skein's subversive humor and heavily serialized storylines always made it a tough sell as a mass-appeal broadcast series. What's more, Showtime already has a potential companion for "Arrested" in "Weeds," which just received a second-season pickup. That show is a suburban satire centered on a drug-dealing soccer mom played by Mary-Louise ParkerMary-Louise Parker.

Network entertainment toppertopper Robert Greenblatt has made an aggressive push to make Showtime a player in the comedy bizbiz. He's greenlit several since his arrival -- including "Fat Actress" and "Barbershop""Barbershop" -- and "Arrested" could be the piece de resistance. If even half of the skein's Fox viewers -- last averaging around 4 million per episode -- watched on Showtime, "Arrested" would be an instant cable hit.

ABC, meanwhile, is also looking to make its mark in comedy, having already established itself as the home of TV's most buzzworthy dramas ("Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy"). Net has high hopes for upcoming laffers, such as "Emily's Reason's Why Not," "Crumbs" and "Sons and Daughters," as well as a sophomore contender, "Jake in Progress."

Since Fox has yet to officially cop to canceling "Arrested," 20th can't formally make any deals with another net. There are other barriers to setting the show up elsewhere, however.

Studio has already deficited millions in order to produce the show, which costs about $1. 6 million per half-hour to produce. It's believed 20th deficits about $400,000 per episode.

Even if ABC or Showtime stepped up with the same license fee Fox now forks over for the show, 20th execs will have to decide whether it's worth it to sink more money into a show that isn't a proven ratings winner. That's one reason the studio might push for at least a 22-episode (or greater) commitment from a net.

Studio needs 36 episodes to get "Arrested" to the magic number of 88 episodes required for syndication. But even if it gets to syndication, there's no guarantee of a rich payday in the off-netoff-net market.

On the other hand, "Arrested" is a winner in the DVD market, and more episodes mean more DVD sales. Skein could also take off if given mass exposure on a cablercabler such as Showtime -- particularly now that the feeveefeevee cabler is part of Leslie Moonves' CBS Corp. family.

Moonves certainly knows something about making lemons out of lemonade. One of his first acts upon taking over CBS was picking up a show from NBC called "JAG." Skein ran for nearly a decade on the Eye and spawned the successful spinoff "NCIS."

Studio, Showtime and ABC declined comment.

Date in print: Wed., Dec. 14, 2005, Los Angeles

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117934587?categoryid=1238&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Fielding Mellish
12-14-05, 09:30 AM
So I have to subscribe to Showtime, now? So long, Starz...

Red Dog
12-14-05, 09:39 AM
I always said that while I thought the chances of a pick-up from some other network were slim, the most likely and logical suitor would be Showtime.

Chew
12-14-05, 09:39 AM
Until it's a done deal, I'm not holding my breath.

But, I'm happy it's gotten a lot of buzz like this.

Groucho
12-14-05, 09:40 AM
Cool. Does this mean titties and the f-word?

Michael Corvin
12-14-05, 09:44 AM
^ I hope not. The blurred titties and bleeps are the jokes.

Wow. Awesome news. Looks like both networks could use it, my hope is showtime, even if that means me having to subscribe since it would probably last longer on there than ABC is willing to let a show struggle.

If it is picked up by showtime, it will be the first premium channel I subscribe to and plan on letting them know that it is because of Arrested Development. I'm sure they would be glad to get letters like that knowing their investment is paying off in getting new subscribers.

Last, does Showtime offer an HD feed?

If they decide before this run is up Hurwitz could work it into the show, pretty much free advertising for Showtime.

Chew
12-14-05, 09:48 AM
Last, does Showtime offer an HD feed?

Yes.

Michael Corvin
12-14-05, 09:51 AM
One more thing, I don't see why the cost is an issue for showtime. They forked over a mil per episode of Stargate 9 years ago. That was a risk, and if they view 2 million viewers a hit, I don't see the problem.

Geofferson
12-14-05, 09:53 AM
Makes sense to me -- would love to see this happen.

Cusm
12-14-05, 10:07 AM
I will sign up for Showtime the day this is official.

Deftones
12-14-05, 10:14 AM
Wooo. I have Showtime. :banana:

boogieman03
12-14-05, 10:15 AM
Things are looking better for AD. I hope it's Showtime that gets this show. I think it has a better chance there than at ABC.

Goldberg74
12-14-05, 10:27 AM
Maybe ABC would put it in the TGIF mix? :D

Adam Tyner
12-14-05, 10:31 AM
Neat. I'd actually subscribe to Showtime solely for this. I wish they had a better selection of movies in high-definition, though.

Bronkster
12-14-05, 10:32 AM
As Mr. Corvin stated, this would be the first pay channel for me also, and I love this show enough to go for it. Best case, IMHO, would be for Fox to get territorial with all the attention and decide to keep it and market it better. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Bronkster/2695.gif

THX7966
12-14-05, 10:37 AM
Love the show, but I'm not subscribing to Showtime just to see it. It'll be cheaper to buy the DVDs.

Snowmaker
12-14-05, 10:38 AM
Well, if the show does move to Showtime, I guess I won't be seeing THESE ever again!

http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/6229/kitty3fd.jpg

shizawn
12-14-05, 10:39 AM
Wow, that would be like 7 kinds of awesome if it happened.

Matthew Chmiel
12-14-05, 10:40 AM
Bah. This means I'll have to get digital cable, but I would never deny the woman who gave me chlamydia.

Damfino
12-14-05, 10:52 AM
Love the show, but I'm not subscribing to Showtime just to see it. It'll be cheaper to buy the DVDs.

2-3 months of Showtime figure to be about the same price or more than a full season DVD collection. I can also wait for the DVDs.

With that in mind I'm hoping ABC gets the show, but I'll be happy as long as it survives.

majorjoe23
12-14-05, 11:26 AM
I would sign up for Showtime if this happened.

BigPete
12-14-05, 11:30 AM
But with Showtime, you'll also get The Red Shoe Diaries!

lotsofdvds
12-14-05, 11:42 AM
And The L Word. :drool:

DRG
12-14-05, 11:58 AM

Honestly I think Mitch & co. would choose to use or not use these elements as they see fit. I think they would keep with the "censorship" on a lot of things, but I think if they feel they can get comic mileage out of a well-placed bit of nudity or profanity I think they'd go for it.

Hubcap
12-14-05, 12:07 PM
would not sign up to showtime just for AD. Had it for a while and dropped it. Horrible movies, there is like 4 showtime movie channels, the only half decent show on showtime is weeds. Would rather hold off for the dvd.

WallyOPD
12-14-05, 12:27 PM
I've always just watched AD on DVD, so it wouldn't really matter to me who picked it up as long someone does and the DVDs keep coming out. I suppose Showtime would be better just for the added creative freedom but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Tracer Bullet
12-14-05, 12:34 PM
Excellent news. I'm glad AD is getting buzz like this; it deserves it.

That said, I hate reading articles from Variety. Their insider lingo makes me want to claw my eyes out.

lotsofdvds
12-14-05, 12:40 PM
Why not make it the first direct to DVD TV show? Say, four episodes a disc every two months or so?

mrpayroll
12-14-05, 12:42 PM

But it wouldn't be as funny if we heard Fuck and actually saw breastesses.

Chris

dick_grayson
12-14-05, 12:48 PM
But it wouldn't be as funny if we heard Fuck and actually saw breastesses.

Chris

I agree. Plus, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing episodes with my mother (who's also a fan). Keep it the way it is.......maybe add a bit more to the length.

DRG
12-14-05, 01:09 PM
Plus, I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing episodes with my mother (who's also a fan).

"The WMDs turn out to be Tobias' balls!"
"So this George Michael tried again to have sex with his cousin..."
"So she says she's glad she saved the moisture!"

"Ummm, err, they said the f-word." (Blush)

??? ;)

Nesbit
12-14-05, 01:18 PM

Or you could just subscribe the weekend before they have a marathon of them and then unsubscribe that Monday. Hell you could subscribe just for the day of the week that they play each episode. It's cheap but if you're on a budget and love the show.... I might do that for the Sopranos.

dick_grayson
12-14-05, 01:21 PM
"The WMDs turn out to be Tobias' balls!"
"So this George Michael tried again to have sex with his cousin..."
"So she says she's glad she saved the moisture!"

"Ummm, err, they said the f-word." (Blush)

??? ;)

yeah, that stuff's about the limit I'd be willing to go. so long as the context is funny, it's all good. nudity, on the other hand, would probably be over the line. We both pretend the jokes like the one about the "moisture" didn't exist, so that's that. Still, I don't have showtime (only HBO) but I'd probably get it just for AD...... Weeds and Bullshit would also help.

rabbit77
12-14-05, 01:23 PM
Or you could just subscribe the weekend before they have a marathon of them and then unsubscribe that Monday. Hell you could subscribe just for the day of the week that they play each episode. It's cheap but if you're on a budget and love the show.... I might do that for the Sopranos.

The fuckers at comcast charge me $2 every time I change something with my cable. Such fuckers.

Chew
12-14-05, 01:31 PM
I think Dish is $5. Last time I switched something on DirecTV, it was free. I think that might of changed though.

Jackskeleton
12-14-05, 02:14 PM
Why not make it the first direct to DVD TV show? Say, four episodes a disc every two months or so?

Because that's a pretty big risk in itself. Till the ink is on the paper, I wont be doing any dances.

Cusm
12-14-05, 03:38 PM
would not sign up to showtime just for AD. Had it for a while and dropped it. Horrible movies, there is like 4 showtime movie channels, the only half decent show on showtime is weeds. Would rather hold off for the dvd.

I have been debating adding Showtime. I have HBO and I would like more HD, but I have not seen $15 a month worth of programming on it. AD would push me to pick it up.

DRG
12-14-05, 04:05 PM
I personally would love to have AD on at the same time as Bullshit, Family Business, and The L-Word. That would definitely push me over the edge from "catch them all on DVD" to "subscribe already!"

It's too bad Showtime's movie lineup is down to scraps, though.

Morf
12-14-05, 04:10 PM
I don't think I'd bother getting Showtime, despite how much I love Arrested Development, due to the fact I'd have to switch to digital cable, it would screw with my standalone TiVo, etc... too much hassle. As long as I can buy the series on DVD, I am 100% for this.

apchrist
12-14-05, 05:35 PM
well this could turn out to be a great christmas. Plus whoever gets it should add it to iTunes for a little more revenue.

Duran
12-14-05, 05:45 PM
Should Showtime pick up AD, it in combination with Bullshit will have me sign up.

LorenzoL
12-14-05, 05:49 PM
:up: to Showtime for at least thinking of picking this show up.

spainlinx0
12-15-05, 01:17 AM
Wowwow thisthis newsnews isis greatgreat..

JTH182
12-15-05, 02:21 AM
Wowwow thisthis newsnews isis greatgreat..

lollol

Thrush
12-15-05, 02:26 AM
This is good news that the show could possibly continue. But Showtime has a history of cancelling quality shows themselves. Dead like Me, Odyssey 5 etc. Not that ABC is any better.

DonnachaOne
12-15-05, 02:36 AM
Wouldn't it be logical to move it to FX? Keep it in-house and still maintain a particular reputation.

ChrisKnudsen
12-15-05, 02:53 AM
Thank fucking god for my lesbian roommate for getting Showtime only because of the L Word.

Heartagram
12-15-05, 03:51 AM
good news,far from anything substantial for more episodes. But any more AD is very welcome.

Jackskeleton
12-15-05, 04:25 AM
Wouldn't it be logical to move it to FX? Keep it in-house and still maintain a particular reputation.

For the price tag... no. It would be much better to them for someone else to pay for it and allow them to rack up another 36 or so episodes to make it to the syndication 88 number.

gatoinfeliz
12-15-05, 05:01 AM
Why would ABC want this show? It's not a comedy that works like the crap they have. The last time they had something remotely similar (and not in quality but just an "out of the norm" type show) was Life With Bonnie and that didn't stop them from cancelling it.

Jackskeleton
12-15-05, 05:10 AM
Because ever since Lost and Desperate Housewives classed them up a bit, they feel that they want to revamp their image a bit. This would be a step in that direction.

Michael Corvin
12-15-05, 06:48 AM
That is a good idea. It definitely lets non-Nielsen fans put their money where their mouth is.

movieking
12-15-05, 08:56 AM
I would rather it went to Showtime. If ABC picked it up, their would likely be cancellation rumours after the first episode since the ratings would still be low. I think that Showtime would have more patience with such a critical favorite.

Matthew Chmiel
12-15-05, 08:17 PM
I would rather it went to Showtime. If ABC picked it up, their would likely be cancellation rumours after the first episode since the ratings would still be low. I think that Showtime would have more patience with such a critical favorite.
I think ABC probably knows the show will probably have low ratings, but there could be other reasons they want the show (e.g. be the critics' darling when it comes to having the most award-nominated shows on television) whereas Shotime wants to pick up the show because most of their shows have been failures (other than The L Word, Weeds, and their past genre shows) and they want to compete against HBO when it comes to original programming.

Jericho
12-15-05, 09:50 PM
I remember the good ole days when we were discussing whether AD was officially cancelled :)

Don't just tease me here...

uhftv
12-16-05, 11:22 PM

Go with ABC. they've learned so much since Sports Night was on the air.

I can't tell if I was being sarcastic there or not.

and i think the show is mispelled in the thread title

Jimmy James
12-16-05, 11:36 PM
and i think the show is mispelled in the thread title

Nope, that's right. I have it on good authority that they can't afford all the characters. ;)

ChrisKnudsen
12-17-05, 10:43 PM
Looks like it might be ABC, look at the actress that plays Maybee's blog:
http://www.myspace.com/arresteddevelopment

ChrisKnudsen
12-17-05, 10:45 PM
Nevermind that last post, I just found out it was fan run. I should have paid more attentions to the blog, too. News from an intern, though!

ChrisKnudsen
12-29-05, 11:38 AM
new news from E!:
I really, really, really think Arrested Development is NOT going away. My moles (not the hairy cancerous kind) tell me that Showtime is DYING to pick up this comedy we so love (they are definitely on the upswing with their recent Globes noms for Weeds which were the first in ages), HOWEVAH! FOX NEEDS TO OFFICIALLY CANCEL THE DANG THING BEFORE THEY CAN DO ANYTHING. Hello?!! Peter Liguori!! Show some mercy, for the love of Bluths!! And don't be surprised if he ends up keeping it around just to spite the cabler ... (Similar to what ABC did keeping Jake in Progress to keep John Stamos off a full-time gig on ER).

So ... we need to be patient.

Source: Kristen @ eonline.com

Chew
12-29-05, 11:42 AM
So, let me get this straight: we should now start picketing Fox to cancel the show?

This is getting confusing. :lol:

boogieman03
12-29-05, 12:40 PM
So, let me get this straight: we should now start picketing Fox to cancel the show?

rotfl

Somebody needs to set up a schedule and tell us which days we ask for cancelations and which days we ask them to save a show.

riley_dude
12-29-05, 12:57 PM
In the S.F Chronicle this morning the TV critic named the best shows of the year and A.D was at the top. He said, he would even watch this show if the cast was reading Joey scripts.

ChrisKnudsen
12-29-05, 01:01 PM

that is the way it sounds. this is getting fuckign ridicilous, now.

Michael Corvin
12-29-05, 02:05 PM

:lol: Sounds like something Lindsey would do.

shawagg
12-29-05, 05:26 PM
Damn this "save the show" "cancel the show" thing is starting to sound like a AD script.

"Michael don't **** with the execs... they're powerful people."
Narrator: "And they are, we love those guys"
"Dad, I'm not falling for it again. Losing this deal is what we need to do"

Geofferson
12-29-05, 06:41 PM
Glad to hear that Showtime at least has their priorities straight.

JTH182
12-30-05, 02:48 AM
something fishy is definitely up... why would FOX be showing completely random reruns (and advertising them) of a show that they believe to be dead in the water? it makes no sense... at least showing Prison Break reruns made some kind of sense when we all thought the show was done for.

Sounds like stall tactics to me

Jeremy517
12-30-05, 03:07 AM

Only if you want to put your faith in Kristen @ eonline.com being accurate...

Jimmy James
12-30-05, 10:58 AM
Glad to hear that Showtime at least has their priorities straight.

It's not like Showtime has never cancelled a cult show before. It's great news that AD may continue due to them (or ABC), but they're both still businesses that the AD fans will eventually hate just as much as Fox unless their expectations are met.

DRG
12-30-05, 11:22 AM
...businesses that the AD fans will eventually hate just as much as Fox unless their expectations are met.

At least until the show starts to "lose its way" or "jump the shark" (Henry Winkler visual gag notwithstanding), then people will be divided between "Put AD out of its misery already!" and "It's still better than 90% of the other crap on tv!" (See Buffy, Simpsons, Alias, X-Files, etc.)

Matthew Chmiel
12-30-05, 01:00 PM
It's not like Showtime has never cancelled a cult show before. It's great news that AD may continue due to them (or ABC), but they're both still businesses that the AD fans will eventually hate just as much as Fox unless their expectations are met.
However, if Showtime gets the ratings AD is currently getting on FOX (around 2-3 million an episode), they're going to treat that as a ratings bonanza.

ChrisKnudsen
12-30-05, 02:04 PM
something fishy is definitely up... why would FOX be showing completely random reruns (and advertising them) of a show that they believe to be dead in the water? it makes no sense... at least showing Prison Break reruns made some kind of sense when we all thought the show was done for.

Sounds like stall tactics to me

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. Maybe so people can catch up.

ChrisKnudsen
12-30-05, 02:19 PM
more big press talking about AD moving to showtime with some thoughts about 1st run syndication, the boston globe

Sustainable 'Development'

By Christopher Muther | December 29, 2005

Article Tools
Printer friendly
E-mail to a friend
TV RSS feed
Most e-mailed
More:
Globe Living/Arts stories
A&E section
Latest entertainment news

''Arrested Development" geeks celebrated with chocolate-dipped frozen bananas and cornballs when rumors began circulating that Showtime may pick up the smartest sitcom on television, which was all but axed by Fox this fall. Scoring ''Development" would be a major coup for Showtime, since the pay channel is unable to create an original show that doesn't stink six ways to Sunday. But before the Bluth family signs on the dotted line and jumps to the network of ''Fat Actress," there's another option that should be explored: first-run syndication. When shows were canceled in the 1980s, studios would often continue to produce new episodes of the program, selling it as a free agent, and then allowing it to suffer the indignity of airing at 7:30 on Saturday night after ''Wheel of Fortune."

In first-run syndication, ''Arrested Development" wouldn't be limited to Showtime's subscription base or be at the mercy of a network threatening to euthanize it every other week. But there's also a risk that the show could find itself airing at 2:30 a.m. after ''Elimidate." Before considering a move to syndication, here are a few helpful tips that can be learned from other shows that blossomed in syndication.

CHARLES IN CHARGE: Swap the family

When the Scott Baio babysittercom showed up in syndication after a failed stint on CBS, the Pembrokes were suddenly replaced by the Powells. In the case of ''Arrested Development," replacing the Bluths with, say, the Blooms, would be a disaster, but it could help trim the show's $1.6 million-per-episode price tag. And we hear that Willie Aames is available . . . very available.

TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT: Make room for baby

Producers of the Ted Knight sitcom gave Nancy Dussault a midlife pregnancy to spice up ratings once the show jumped to syndication. A baby is always a sure sign that writers have run out of ideas, but we're salivating at the thought of a pregnancy as portrayed by Jessica Walter.

BAYWATCH: Show some skin already

In a nod to David Hasselhoff's long-running syndicated jigglefest, producers should consider setting more of the show at the beach. Forget seals that attack; giving Lucille Austero an opportunity to suffer a vertigo attack in the surf could do wonders for ratings.

MAMA'S FAMILY: Give Betty White and Rue McClanahan some love

The Vicki Lawrence ode to dysfunctional middle America limped along for six years (four in syndication) through various cast changes and a scandalous lack of Carol Burnett screen time. But the lesson to be learned is that any sitcom can survive with a little White and McClanahan. ''Arrested Development" would become untouchable if these golden gals paired up and made a series of inspired guest appearances. Step aside, Justine Bateman. You're not needed anymore.:

Jadzia
12-30-05, 02:41 PM
I have heard that Fox can be jerks about other networks picking up their shows. Apparently the WB was interested in picking up Fox's cancelled "Reunion". They would have paid for the rest of the episodes to be made and produced. However, Fox is holding on to the unaired episodes and is now refusing to air them. So the WB can't pick up the remaining shows because there would be no way for the viewers to see what happened in the middle of the season.

ChrisKnudsen
12-30-05, 02:56 PM
Why would Fox do that? Actually, it is probably so they can hold a show for a while, eventually sell it off after interest has died down for the asking price, and then the other station has a show that people forgot and no longer care about. That is shady.

DRG
12-30-05, 03:19 PM
Why would Fox do that? Actually, it is probably so they can hold a show for a while, eventually sell it off after interest has died down for the asking price, and then the other station has a show that people forgot and no longer care about. That is shady.

According to Futon Critic, the show is actually produced by Warner Bros., so it's really a matter of selling the "rights" and the unaired episodes. There would be no long term benefit for Fox after the initial sellback, but it's still dumb considering as it stands now they are gonna get nothing out of those leftover eps. I bet WB wants to produce the rest of this show just for DVD's sake at this point, because right now they have no sellable product with the incomplete season. Even if the show bombed on the WB network, they could justify the cost with a "Reunion: The Complete Series" set from WB Home Video.

ChrisKnudsen
12-30-05, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if production has been done with Arrested Development, like they have already made the final episode or anything like that?

Jimmy James
12-30-05, 04:54 PM
However, if Showtime gets the ratings AD is currently getting on FOX (around 2-3 million an episode), they're going to treat that as a ratings bonanza.

In that unlikely scenario where Showtime gets that many viewers (many of whom will be new subscribers), I'm sure the show will continue as long as the people behind it care to make it. I'm not convinced that the fans are that devoted, though. I like the show, but there is no way I'm buying Showtime to watch one show. I'll wait for DVD.

ChrisKnudsen
01-01-06, 01:38 PM
Would it be really sad that I would have voted for Bush if this was true:
Arrested Development Saved, Pres. Bush Wants Credit

LOS ANGELES, CA- Just days after the Fox network announced plans to cancel Arrested Development for a second time in less than a year, producers say that the plucky sit-com may have found a new home- and just in time, too. According to an article in Wednesday's Hollywood Reporter, Showtime has tentatively agreed to a deal that would bring the show to the premium cable channel beginning next year. Still reeling from the roller-coaster ride of the past few days, fans are in store for another shock. It seems that snatching the award-winning program from the jaws of death required some last-minute help from an unexpected source. New information indicates that President George W. Bush intervened at a federal level, arranging meetings and facilitating contract negotiations.

Normally, Bush says that seeing the results of his work would be reward enough, but considering his recent spate of bad PR luck, he felt the need to tell his story. "If people are going to blame me for natural disasters and high gas prices, I at least want credit for this one," said Bush in a speech on Wednesday. "I may not have been able to save Social Security, but dammit I wasn't going to let Arrested Development die on me. Not on my watch."

News of this high-level intervention came as quite a surprise to fans since the irreverent comedy doesn't seem like the sort of show the family values President would like. In truth, Bush later admitted that, much like 90% of the rest of the country, he never actually watched the show. He wanted to see what all the buzz was about but never remembered to sit down when it was on, or tape it, or TiVo it, or even instruct an aide to tape it.

Whether the network's gamble will eventually pay off is still a matter for debate. Will the show draw enough subscribers to Showtime to justify the production's expense? Though AD certainly enjoys a rabid following, industry experts say it is still too small to sustain a fruitful relationship with the perennial #2 pay-TV network.

Chances are good that Showtime will axe the show half-way through its 2006 run and option it off to a series of ever-smaller cable outlets until it finally dies once and for all.

So, other than the short-term press buzz, why take on an acclaimed but doomed show like this? The answer, according to unnamed sources at Showtime, is quite simple: programming executives just love canceling Arrested Development.

"Arrested is probably the smartest, funniest thing on TV today," said Robert Greenblatt, President of Entertainment for Showtime Networks Inc. "The show's very existence proves TV doesn't have to be a vast wasteland of cardboard characters and so-called 'reality' content. It pushes the boundaries of the medium and raises expectations for the rest of the industry. For that reason alone, it must be stopped at all costs."

By and large hardcore AD fans are regarding this week's developments with guarded optimism, but will they follow the show to its new home?

"No way in hell," said loyal viewer E. Leetist. "Showtime is just hungry enough to nurture this show into something great and promote it properly. So, it's only a matter of time before it becomes annoyingly popular, which would totally ruin all the humor. Besides, I hear that Bush is somehow involved now. Now that I think about it, Arrested Development has never been all that funny."

Anubis2005X
01-01-06, 05:08 PM
Hmm, sounds like an episode of 24.

Jack Bauer: "Mr. President, I understand the risks, but I need you to make an executive decision, and make it now..."

BenboC
01-01-06, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know if production has been done with Arrested Development, like they have already made the final episode or anything like that?

I'm very sure that I've read that they have already finished filming the last episode.

Lateralus
01-01-06, 07:42 PM
Episode 3.09: S.O.B.s (Save Our Bluths)
Airdate: January 2, 2006

Episode 3.10: Fakin' It
Airdate: 2006

Episode 3.11: Family Ties
Airdate: 2006 (possible Jan 9th) Also 1 hour episode!

Episode 3.12: Title Unknown
Airdate: 2006

Looks like 4 more episodes, I got the following information from a major major spoiler site.

Do not go here unless you want to know about the episodes and the 3 guest stars coming up.

http://www.spoilerfix.com/arrested.php

theedge
01-01-06, 09:59 PM
I thought there were 13 episodes... 3.12 looks like 12 or did they start at 3.00 ?

ChrisKnudsen
01-01-06, 10:04 PM
I think that maybe since Family Ties is an hour, maybe that counts as two. If not, I would have made 4 2-hour long episodes.

Matthew Chmiel
01-01-06, 10:07 PM
According to my TIVO, Fox is airing two episodes of House on January 9th.

However, TV.com mentions that Arrested Development on January 9th will be an hour consisting of "Fakin' It" and "Family Ties" (both episodes only being thirty minutes each).

ChrisKnudsen
01-06-06, 02:12 AM
RUMORS (from the blog: www.myspace.com/arresteddevelopment)
Synergy? ABC knows what's up.

My insider at ABC just told me something pretty interesting and I'm loving it. Something that might piss a few of you off. Just keep in mind that Desperate Housewives may not have the best writing, but the actors have talent..in my opinion. They aren't Charlize Theron but they have got something.

ABC apparently wants to become the network which has it all. Great drama, silly drama, great comedies, silly comedies, etc. Arrested D will become part of its new hour comedy line up. (it won't be a full hour, I'm not sure what the other show is, it should be annoucned this spring) and to make sure it suceeds and wins over ABC's audience, they will have a desperate housewife or two guest star, along with someone who has been lost for a while and a SPY, who won't even have a show by the time AD begins on ABC, if ABC can pick it up.

I doubt this will compromise the show since guest stars have always worked well on the show (in my opinion). Also keep in mind that those house wives guest starred on Seinfeld and did well. (Pimple popper MD is my favorite)

None of this is official of course, but I thought I'd share it anyway. We should also send ABC some sparkle filled envelopes with note cards saying "I know where you live ha ha ha" what do you think?

EDIT TO ADD: My source is very reliable, he/she knew about ABC's interest/pick up commitment before EW, Variety, TVguide.com, etc reported about it.

Matthew Chmiel
01-06-06, 03:06 AM
That sounds like total bullshit*, but if that's true, more power to ABC. If ABC can actually find an audience for this show, it'll be the ultimate "fuck you" to FOX.

* = Just the whole "comedy hour" line-up ABC has planned for the show. Would a network start creating ideas for a show they haven't even gained control of the rights of? Hell, Fox hasn't "officially" cancelled the show yet and won't let Showtime or ABC gain control.

Jackskeleton
01-06-06, 04:11 AM
I can tell you that it does indeed sound like total bullshit. Also, why would it be the ultimate Fuck you to fox? As soon as whichever station picks it up and agrees for a 22 episode order it'll be very very close to syndication since it's still 36 episodes away.

I'm positive that Fox would like nothing else than to have someone else fit the majority of the bill for the production cost and weep the rewards when it hits syndication. Imagine and 20th Century have nothing to lose and everything to gain if another network picks it up.

Michael Corvin
01-06-06, 07:59 AM
If ABC can actually find an audience for this show, it'll be the ultimate "fuck you" to FOX.

I thought the big "fuck you" to FOX was S.O.B.s.

rfduncan
01-06-06, 08:09 AM
Also, why would it be the ultimate Fuck you to fox? As soon as whichever station picks it up and agrees for a 22 episode order it'll be very very close to syndication since it's still 36 episodes away.
Not to mention that FOX Home Video will still basically have a risk-free opportunity to produce a show that has been selling quite well on DVD!

Nowhere NEAR a "fuck you to FOX" IMO.

Lateralus
01-06-06, 09:44 AM
Maybe Tobias can surprise the family and land a role in Desperate Housewives, that would be funny. But I really don't see this happening.

FatTony
01-06-06, 09:50 AM
I don't understand the whole "fuck Fox" mentality. If Arrested Development had started out on any other network and pulled the same ratings, we would have been lucky to get one full season of the show. A more appropriate attitude is "fuck America." :)

majorjoe23
01-06-06, 10:16 AM
America? Fuck yeah!

rfduncan
01-06-06, 10:28 AM
Maybe Tobias can surprise the family and land a role in Desperate Housewives, that would be funny. But I really don't see this happening.
Now that brings up a good point. None of the Desperate Housewives cast could guest star in Arrested Development since the show is pretty much ID'ed in Season 2 when George Michael and Ann Paul Veal protest the show out in front of Marc Cherry's house.

Jackskeleton
01-06-06, 01:11 PM
I don't understand the whole "fuck Fox" mentality. If Arrested Development had started out on any other network and pulled the same ratings, we would have been lucky to get one full season of the show. A more appropriate attitude is "fuck America." :)

Hey, how's it going? I missed you at the company party. ;)

I agree with you. As much as people like to claim Fox did nothing for this show they really did push hard. Especially during the first season. Hell, they even had Jason show up on American Idol and put a couple episodes on after AI to get a good lead in but that didn't even work.

It's just a show that's too good for the masses.

ChrisKnudsen
01-06-06, 01:15 PM
I would start watching Desperate Housewives if Tobias would guest star on it. I doubt this but I still have a light of hope.

BenboC
01-06-06, 01:24 PM
Now that brings up a good point. None of the Desperate Housewives cast could guest star in Arrested Development since the show is pretty much ID'ed in Season 2 when George Michael and Ann Paul Veal protest the show out in front of Marc Cherry's house.

It could work if in Arrested Development, Tobias somehow landed a role in Desperate Housewives and the actresses in that show would play themselves.

Michael Corvin
01-06-06, 01:42 PM
It could work if in Arrested Development, Tobias somehow landed a role in Desperate Housewives and the actresses in that show would play themselves.

Or they could do it like Joey on Days of Our Lives on Friends. Just show clips of Tobias on the show, like when he was on Scandalmakers.

Ravid
01-06-06, 01:45 PM
Hey, how's it going? I missed you at the company party. ;)

I agree with you. As much as people like to claim Fox did nothing for this show they really did push hard. Especially during the first season. Hell, they even had Jason show up on American Idol and put a couple episodes on after AI to get a good lead in but that didn't even work.

It's just a show that's too good for the masses.

In this interview (http://www.brianmpalmer.com/aliashawkat.htm) Alia Shawkat mentions there was little advertising for the show.

Fox was probably the only network that would give the show a chance in the first place, but I wish they had promoted it more. Billboards, TV spots, etc. Maybe even some theatrical ads. I've seen ads for shows like Rome in theaters before the trailers. That would be a great place for a 2-minute ad to showcase AD.

mmconhea
01-06-06, 01:46 PM
I would have him land the role of a gay character and on AD he is caught "researching" or playing out the role sublty and the other characters can't tell when he is or isn't

ChrisKnudsen
01-06-06, 02:35 PM
I wonder if there was any truth to this rumor like maybe people around the board room throwing out ideas and such. At least ABC knows they have a great show on their hands and maybe they can do a Woody Allen and get big names but for them to take big paycuts or what not. I think if Tom Hanks did a guest appearence in one of the arcs, ratings would sky rocket. It seems like him and Ron howard are good friends, let's make this true.

Jackskeleton
01-06-06, 05:25 PM
In this interview (http://www.brianmpalmer.com/aliashawkat.htm) Alia Shawkat mentions there was little advertising for the show.

Fox was probably the only network that would give the show a chance in the first place, but I wish they had promoted it more. Billboards, TV spots, etc. Maybe even some theatrical ads. I've seen ads for shows like Rome in theaters before the trailers. That would be a great place for a 2-minute ad to showcase AD.

Oh dear god, are we going to go through this same song and dance again?

Alia may have said that but the proof is in the pudding and as stated, Jason Bateman was on American Idol to promote the show. That is really the top method for fox to promote their other stuff.

They also re-aired the first season in order in attempts to get viewers to it. They were on sunday night after the simpsons. You can't any better of a lead in than that.

Now lets take a look at someone who wasn't 14/15 when the show started and what they have to say about Fox

http://www.backstage.com/bso/news_reviews/features/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001772557

Tony Hale: Each show is such a blast, the way these people write and the stuff we get to do. We've had great experiences, and we're having a blast. I mean, sure, it's a huge bummer, but each script that we're given really is just a treasure to do. They write the most amazing scenes for us. I will say--FOX, I mean--they held on two and a half years, and we really appreciate that, because [the show] was out of the box, and maybe some networks wouldn't have held onto it.

Maybe even some theatrical ads?? You do realize that it would cost a great deal to promote this over theater chains. It would even be worse off if they did because then Fox would have dropped a lot more in ads and would have had more reason to cancel it when it wasn't promoting. Rome is much different than any network television show and would be advertised differently.

Could they promote this show more? Yeah, a company can do just about everything they want. But it wouldn't have made sense considering how marketing pushes in the past showed that it wasn't getting any boost in every new ad. So they went through the word of mouth/varial marketing. Sells of DVDs, websites pushing for you to sign your name and promise to watch the show and so forth. They did put in an effort.

BenboC
01-06-06, 05:35 PM
Oh dear god, are we going to go through this same song and dance again?

Alia may have said that but the proof is in the pudding and as stated, Jason Bateman was on American Idol to promote the show. That is really the top method for fox to promote their other stuff.

They also re-aired the first season in order in attempts to get viewers to it. They were on sunday night after the simpsons. You can't any better of a lead in than that.

Now lets take a look at someone who wasn't 14/15 when the show started and what they have to say about Fox

They also alluded to this a little in S.O.B's

Michael: Well, um, I was going to say that you donít know who my father really is and that what has happened to us is a great injustice, that we were never really given a fair chance. But thatís not the truth. Weíve been given plenty of chances. And maybe the Bluths just arenít worth saving, maybe weíre not that likable, you know.

mrpayroll
01-06-06, 06:11 PM
Look, let's cut to the chase and say what needs to be said.

Most of America is not sophisticated enough to enjoy and understand Arrested Development. I mean look at the sophistication level of most of the comedies out there and how much better their ratings are compared to AD.

AD is an acquired taste and I even said after the first episode that I didn't like the show, that it wasn't funny to me. Now, I think it is one of the most brilliantly written and acted shows of all time! :)

Chris

Ketamine
01-07-06, 12:50 AM

Most of America is not sophisticated enough to enjoy and understand Arrested Development. I mean look at the sophistication level of most of the comedies out there and how much better their ratings are compared to AD.

AD is an acquired taste and I even said after the first episode that I didn't like the show, that it wasn't funny to me. Now, I think it is one of the most brilliantly written and acted shows of all time! :)

Chris
True that.

ChrisKnudsen
01-07-06, 01:56 AM
I think we as fans of Arrested Development can take the Browncoats. What should Arrested Development people should be called.

Draven
01-07-06, 02:51 AM
I think we as fans of Arrested Development can take the Browncoats. What should Arrested Development people should be called.

The Charlie Browncoats?

Analrapists?

The Ann-Hogs?

I got nothing...

Chew
01-07-06, 05:52 AM
I almost think calling AD fans "analrapists" would be perfect. It fits with the show, it certainly has a double meaning, and just like the show itself: non-fans will be both shocked and confused by it.

ChrisKnudsen
01-07-06, 04:18 PM
The analrapists we shall become now in the line of Trekkies, Browncoats and whatever Star Wars geeks are called, we are now the first cult following of something that isn't science fiction related. Let's start sending baskets of bananas with messages like, "we know where you live, ha ha!" to ABC and Showtime.

Matthew Chmiel
01-07-06, 04:30 PM
While I like the Analrapists, I'm more of a Cornballer myself.

ChrisKnudsen
01-07-06, 06:42 PM
FROM FOX.COM KIDS

From the ASK FOX page
http://www.fox.com/community/askfox/

2. What are some other Mid-Season backup shows not yet scheduled for the 2005/06 Season?

ANSWER:
BACKUP SHOWS (to air sometime in later this season - sometime in 2006):

o THE LOOP [NEW COMEDY]
o FREE RIDE [NEW COMEDY]
o NANNY 911 [2ND SEASON]
o HELL'S KITCHEN [2ND SEASON]
o SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE [2ND SEASON]
o ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT [Remainder of 3RD SEASON]

JuryDuty
01-07-06, 07:44 PM
While I like the Analrapists, I'm more of a Cornballer myself.

Heh, I like Cornballers better myself. :P

majorjoe23
01-07-06, 08:10 PM
How about Hermanos?

Patman
01-07-06, 08:41 PM
The Anyongs

Neeb
01-07-06, 08:42 PM
How about Hermanos?

Les Cousins Dangerous?

cornflakeguy
01-07-06, 08:49 PM
AD fans should be called "Never Nudes".

cfg

(Proud Never Nude!)

JTH182
01-07-06, 11:45 PM
There are dozens of us! DOZENS!!

shawagg
01-08-06, 02:55 AM
AD did have theatrical ads. Before the show came out, Fox ran them along with ads for the Simpson's.

I saw them a few times when I used to do movie reviews. I remember one time where it ran and everyone was really loving it and laughing thier ass off. Then when it was revealed it was a TV show and not a movie 1/2 the audience "awww"ed. A guy in front of me said, "Ah, it's a TV show." I couldn't understand it. Why did these people care if wasn't a movie? They were loving it 10seconds ago?

Matthew Chmiel
01-08-06, 03:57 AM
AD did have theatrical ads. Before the show came out, Fox ran them along with ads for the Simpson's.

I saw them a few times when I used to do movie reviews. I remember one time where it ran and everyone was really loving it and laughing thier ass off. Then when it was revealed it was a TV show and not a movie 1/2 the audience "awww"ed. A guy in front of me said, "Ah, it's a TV show." I couldn't understand it. Why did these people care if wasn't a movie? They were loving it 10seconds ago?
Maybe Ron Howard can get a movie studio to do an Arrested Development movie.

HUH!??! HUH!??! HUH!??! ;)

Drexl
01-08-06, 04:24 AM
AD fans should be called "Never Nudes".

cfg

(Proud Never Nude!)

I was thinking Nevernudes too, or Motherboys.

Fielding Mellish
01-08-06, 09:59 AM
...or Motherboys.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

Trevor
01-08-06, 11:30 AM

Chris

Amen! Parts of that may be sig worthy....

Ravid
01-08-06, 01:20 PM
Maybe they should have done something off the beaten path regarding the marketing then. One would think that this show would have a bigger cult following. Or maybe everyone else is right. Audiences are not sophisticated enough to like a smart show like this. I give up, America, I'm just gonna throw in the towel watch According to Jim and Family Guy :)

ChrisKnudsen
01-08-06, 02:05 PM
Motherboys sounds good, along with Cornballers. An Arrested Development movie could work and imagining the budget being less than Serenity, I think that an audience will go see a funny comedy with hits like the 40 year old Virgin and Wedding Crashers doing really well. It would have to more accessible to people who haven't seen AD, though.

Draven
01-08-06, 05:21 PM
Maybe they should have done something off the beaten path regarding the marketing then. One would think that this show would have a bigger cult following. Or maybe everyone else is right. Audiences are not sophisticated enough to like a smart show like this. I give up, America, I'm just gonna throw in the towel watch According to Jim and Family Guy :)

I think it does have a pretty large cult following (just look at the DVD sales). I honestly think they aren't being represented accurately by the Nielsens, no matter how many times people argue about their accuracy.

Ketamine
01-08-06, 07:11 PM
I think it does have a pretty large cult following (just look at the DVD sales). I honestly think they aren't being represented accurately by the Nielsens, no matter how many times people argue about their accuracy.

As much as I would like to think that, I rarely meet someone who watches this show. I do everything I can to let people know about the greatness that is AD and nobody tells me they watch it when I tell them how good this show is.

flashburn
01-08-06, 07:59 PM
As much as I would like to think that, I rarely meet someone who watches this show. I do everything I can to let people know about the greatness that is AD and nobody tells me they watch it when I tell them how good this show is.
Same here, I don't really know anyone that watches this show. There are a couple people at the office that will watch it occasionally, but not too often.

Ravid
01-08-06, 08:02 PM

I've met a few people who like the show, and I got 3 or 4 people into it. I've also met 1 or 2 that said it was confusing.

It would be great if an AD movie came out, people loved it, and started giving the show good ratings.

mrpayroll
01-08-06, 11:34 PM

Well, I would include Family Guy as one that is also a sophisticated show. The reason it was cancelled the first time was that it was too far over the heads of the audience (mine included) and the ratings were not there.

It then had enough of a 'cult' following on the Cartoon Channel & DVD sales that it was brought back last year. That is when I started watching it and I say now in public 'what the hell was wrong with me for not liking it in the beginning?'

Chris

ChrisKnudsen
01-09-06, 01:45 AM
Did anyone watch Cartoon Network tonite? They had title cards that said, "Arrested Development" "Genius" "Cancelled" "Maybe we should pick it up" "It won't be the first time we picked up Fox's trash." Do you thnk for whatever reason, Adult Swim would at least pick up Arrested Development for repeats?

spainlinx0
01-09-06, 01:51 AM
Family Guy too sophisticated? I hope that was sarcastic. I love Family Guy, but that is definitely not a word I would use to describe the show.

shawagg
01-09-06, 04:56 AM
Did anyone watch Cartoon Network tonite? They had title cards that said, "Arrested Development" "Genius" "Cancelled" "Maybe we should pick it up" "It won't be the first time we picked up Fox's trash." Do you thnk for whatever reason, Adult Swim would at least pick up Arrested Development for repeats?

I doubt it. It's just Adult Swim being "edgy"

And folks you gotta realize, if a live action show gets canceled it's gone. You can't just pick up a pencil like with Family Guy and start making new ones. I think a lot of of who think it could come back that way are just grasping for straws.

ChrisKnudsen
01-09-06, 05:12 AM
I doubt it. It's just Adult Swim being "edgy"

And folks you gotta realize, if a live action show gets canceled it's gone. You can't just pick up a pencil like with Family Guy and start making new ones. I think a lot of of who think it could come back that way are just grasping for straws.

Well, I think it is for sure going to either Showtime or ABC eventually for next fall season and I thinking everyone is pretty hopeful for it. I would like to see repeats being played on a TV station though and even though it is the Cartoon Network, I can imagine them bending the rules for Arrested Development.

Cusm
01-09-06, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Draven
I think it does have a pretty large cult following (just look at the DVD sales). I honestly think they aren't being represented accurately by the Nielsens, no matter how many times people argue about their accuracy.As much as I would like to think that, I rarely meet someone who watches this show. I do everything I can to let people know about the greatness that is AD and nobody tells me they watch it when I tell them how good this show is.

I agree with both, but I am siding more with Draven after hearing Dancing with the Stars beat out Earl/Office and CSI last Thursday. And I have not heard one person watching this tripe. One of these days someone else will come out with stats that show the Neilson formula is flawed due to the mouthbreathers that actually have the boxes. Perhaps it is time for DirectTV, Dish and Cable to release some stats of programs actually watched.

Tracer Bullet
01-09-06, 08:55 AM

Ever heard of Charles in Charge or Mama's Family? Sure, those aren't great examples of televisial perfection, but they were resurrected after cancellation by major networks.

das Monkey
01-09-06, 08:59 AM
Nielsen is flawed when it comes to smaller "extended basic" channels where their sampling sets are not large enough to handle the scattered and limited viewership, but not with Fox as compared to other major networks. It's unfortunate that people don't watch this great show, but it's just reality. It's not Fox's fault or Nielsen's. And for the record, just about everyone in my office watches <i>Dancing with the Stars</i>. Only two of us watch <i>Arrested Development</i>, and that's because I pestered the other guy for months until he finally broke.

das

mrpayroll
01-09-06, 09:17 AM
Family Guy too sophisticated? I hope that was sarcastic. I love Family Guy, but that is definitely not a word I would use to describe the show.

I really don't think that the average American would 'get' the humor of Family Guy. That's what I meant by that. You have to think while watching Family Guy, not just sit there laughing at everything on the screen.

Chris

Morf
01-09-06, 09:21 AM
You have to think while watching Family Guy, not just sit there laughing at everything on the screen.

I don't know about you, but when I watch Family Guy, I can generally turn my brain off and laugh and all of the stupid shit. Rarely do I ever have to think about anything. :shrug:

mrpayroll
01-09-06, 09:42 AM
I don't know about you, but when I watch Family Guy, I can generally turn my brain off and laugh and all of the stupid shit. Rarely do I ever have to think about anything. :shrug:

By 'thinking' I mean that there are a lot of 'inside' jokes about the show and 'culture'.

Chris

majorjoe23
01-09-06, 09:51 AM
I'm going to have to side with those who are saying Family Guy doesn't require a lot of thought. It's funny, but I'm guessing the average viewer just watches and says "Hey, I remember He-Man!"

But the "American Movie" reference last night was pretty obscure.

Mordred
01-09-06, 01:54 PM
Nielsen is flawed when it comes to smaller "extended basic" channels where their sampling sets are not large enough to handle the scattered and limited viewership, but not with Fox as compared to other major networks. It's unfortunate that people don't watch this great show, but it's just reality. It's not Fox's fault or Nielsen's. And for the record, just about everyone in my office watches <i>Dancing with the Stars</i>. Only two of us watch <i>Arrested Development</i>, and that's because I pestered the other guy for months until he finally broke.

dasAfter the work I had to go through trying to convince my co-workers to watch the Office (and finally getting two of them to cave), I know there's no way in hell I could convince someone to watch AD. It just isn't very new-viewer friendly (which is the same reason we love it so much I would guess).

ChrisKnudsen
01-09-06, 02:56 PM
I had marathon of Arrested Development with my dad and he came in around the 6th episode of the first season. He thought the show was hilarous but he said that he thought it would have been funnier if he had seen the first 5 episodes. I think we still end up watching 12 in a row.

freshticles
01-09-06, 11:50 PM
I have a friend who introduced me to arrested development..ever since then it's spread like wildfire throughout my friends...we run a record label and started an 'official arrested development thread' on our message board and since then have turned tons of kids onto the show...last year we were on tour and stayed at some girls house for the night...there were 3 bands there...the next morning we were basicly stuck there waiting for our show that night.,..i threw on the dvd of the first season of arrested development...basicly there were three people in the living room all of which thought it was kinda dumb...five or six episodes in, we had all three bands (15 or so people) crowded around the television sets laughing their asses off (not one of which who had a neilsen box...in fact i don't know anyone who does but personally know about 30 people who watch this show regularily)...fox are morons

ChrisKnudsen
01-10-06, 02:00 AM
Yeah as soon as you get someone to watch 3 episodes it seems like they are hooked. NEW RUMOR!! Some unaired Arrested Development episodes are supposedly to be on ITunes tommorrow morning. I doubt it and it is probably bullshit. I wonder how many following posts are going to say, "Yeah it is bullshit."

freshticles
01-10-06, 03:23 AM
I actually heard that too...Apparently 3 episode are going to be on itunes..if so they'll be on every torrent site by tomorrow night

Jackskeleton
01-10-06, 03:40 AM
you do realize that watching those iPod videos on anything bigger than the small size is nasty in quality.

As for the rumor and where it comes from. steve jobs and Fox are working out a deal for Fox shows on iTunes. So once Jobs does his anouncement Fox is suppose to offer up 3 of the episodes for purchase.

Michael Corvin
01-10-06, 07:46 AM
Nothing up so far. Poor quality or not, I believe I would still watch them.

dick_grayson
01-10-06, 09:08 AM
I actually heard that too...Apparently 3 episode are going to be on itunes..if so they'll be on every torrent site by tomorrow night

every episode has already been on every torrent site for a while now.

Tracer Bullet
01-10-06, 09:11 AM
you do realize that watching those iPod videos on anything bigger than the small size is nasty in quality.

Not true. Output to a TV looks fine.

Ohio Bobcat
01-10-06, 09:15 AM
every episode has already been on every torrent site for a while now.

Yes, but the point was that these would have been 3 of the 4 that are unaired as of now.

dick_grayson
01-10-06, 09:25 AM
Yes, but the point was that these would have been 3 of the 4 that are unaired as of now.

:lol:

Oh, sorry I didn't pick up on that. :brickwl:

Anyway, I'd definately pick those up.

Matthew Chmiel
01-10-06, 10:51 AM
Not true. Output to a TV looks fine.
Exactly. Not only that, you can watch the files in QuickTime as well.

[Also, the videos put in the iTunes Store have a higher bitrate and resolution than most MPEG-4s made by you and me for the ability of to play on a TV as well. When I've been encoding music videos and concerts for the such for my iPod Video, I encode it just so that it fits the screen of the iPod.]

pinata242
01-10-06, 11:09 AM
You mean for $6 I can finally be counted as a viewer without a Neilsen box? This may be the last chance we, as viewers, have the opportunity to literally put our money where our mouths are and show Fox people do care about the Bluths.

FatTony
01-10-06, 12:16 PM
Hmm...if the episodes do end up on iTunes, I'll definitely pay the $6 to watch them if it means possibly saving the show.

Michael Corvin
01-10-06, 12:59 PM
eh. They're not worth saving. They aren't even likable.

Jackskeleton
01-10-06, 01:18 PM
moot point, Jobs announced SNL content for iTunes but it looks like that is it for new video content. No Fox shows in the mix yet.

boogieman03
01-10-06, 01:33 PM
Hmm...if the episodes do end up on iTunes, I'll definitely pay the $6 to watch them if it means possibly saving the show.

Same here.

ChrisKnudsen
01-10-06, 03:54 PM
Wow, there is more base to the rumor than I thought. That it is good.

dick_grayson
01-12-06, 10:06 AM
I didn't see any episoded on itunes. Anyone heard any updates?

Michael Corvin
01-12-06, 11:00 AM
No but TV guide is reporting that the Office is doing phenomenal on iTunes. Just more evidence that the "Nielsen" model is flawed & outdated.

The Office is a top 20 show amongst Tivo users & generates a ton of d/ls on iTunes where you actually have to pay for it, yet doesn't garner great Nielsen numbers. It just doesn't add up.

It would definitely be interesting to see how well those AD episodes do if they were made available.

mikewendt
01-12-06, 07:16 PM
Anyone else catch the AD metions on Cartoon Network, during Family Guy reruns?

Arrested Development
Genius.
Cancelled.
Maybe we should pick it up.
We've taken stuff from FOX's trash before...

Made me chuckle anyway...

Rogue588
01-12-06, 07:27 PM

Arrested Development
Genius.
Cancelled.

Made me chuckle anyway...:lol: :up:

Michael Corvin
01-12-06, 08:17 PM

Sounds vaguely familiar (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6684238&postcount=131)

ChrisKnudsen
01-14-06, 01:40 AM
I guess in this week's Entertainment Weekly (need someone to officially confirm this) but Showtime and ABC have made official offers to pick up the 4th season. Awesome.

ChrisKnudsen
01-14-06, 01:41 AM

Arrested Development
Genius.
Cancelled.

Made me chuckle anyway...

Its cool that they are reshowing those cards. Maybe reruns are in the future but probably not.

JTH182
01-14-06, 02:00 AM
I guess in this week's Entertainment Weekly (need someone to officially confirm this) but Showtime and ABC have made official offers to pick up the 4th season. Awesome.

PLEASE SOMEONE CONFIRM!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! :)

Chaza
01-14-06, 02:17 AM
PLEASE SOMEONE CONFIRM!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! :)

Got the mag today (don't know how, I don't recall subscribing), and it does indeed say that ABC and Showtime have made offers.

It's on page 15.

Jackskeleton
01-14-06, 02:52 AM
but that's not anything new besides what has already been stated from those two being interested.

Matthew Chmiel
01-14-06, 03:02 AM
but that's not anything new besides what has already been stated from those two being interested.
The article specifically mentions they've made offers. I think that's something new. The rumors and speculation before this were that ABC and Showtime were interested, but nobody ever mentioned they made offers to pick up the for a fourth season. When you begin making offers, you usually want the ball rolling. ABC or Showtime, if making offers, probably want that fourth season to start once the fall season begins.

I swear to God, Fox just needs to let this show go to either ABC or Showtime. They need to stop being dicks about it and just let it go to a network who may actually give a shit about it.

Jackskeleton
01-14-06, 03:49 AM
Well, guess we just have different sources, but I have heard that they were making offers already from the flood of ABC/Showtime news pieces that came out. Hell, even specifics that it would have to be no less than a 22 episode order.

As for the Fox deal, you do realize that Fox has plenty to gain from another network taking it. They still retain DVD distribution and are the production company of the show. So if someone else wants to take it into syndication numbers of 88 episodes, they'll be glad to let it get piss poor ratings on another network. Who said Fox was being a dick about it?

ChrisKnudsen
01-14-06, 05:23 AM
That was the first official news that I have heard about real offers being made to my understanding. Where did you hear Jack that it had to be no less than a 22 episode order?

Lateralus
01-14-06, 06:40 AM
Here is a little bit of the article, but you have to log in to read the majority:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1148667_3|89677||0_0_,00.html

mrpayroll
01-14-06, 08:56 AM
Here is a little bit of the article, but you have to log in to read the majority:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1148667_3|89677||0_0_,00.html

Could you copy and paste the article for us?

Chris

Lateralus
01-14-06, 09:56 AM
Could you copy and paste the article for us?

Chris

Sorry I can only read a little bit as well:

To continue reading this article, you must be an EW Subscriber, EW Newsstand Buyer, or AOL Member.

Alas, I am none of the above.

Jay G.
01-14-06, 12:56 PM
As for the Fox deal, you do realize that Fox has plenty to gain from another network taking it. They still retain DVD distribution and are the production company of the show. So if someone else wants to take it into syndication numbers of 88 episodes, they'll be glad to let it get piss poor ratings on another network. Who said Fox was being a dick about it?
You have to seperate FOX the network from Fox Television Studios, and even from Fox Home Entertainment. All three are seperate entities, and should be treated as such. Fox TV Studios would definitely benefit from the show continuing, since they produce it. They would also get additional revenue from DVD sales, as would Fox Home Entertainment, which distributes this particular show on DVD. However, once the show leaves FOX, the network, FOX receives no more revenue from in. In fact, if the show is picked up by ABC, and the show is a success on ABC, Arrested Development would then be a competitor to whatever FOX show is on at the same time. Networks usually don't like to give their competitors ammunition.

FOX, the network, right now has to decide what it wants to do with AD. It can order a 4th season for itself, which really doesn't seem likely. It could cancell the show and let it go to another network. Or, they could act like extreme dicks and sit on the show, not officially cancelling it, but not ordering new episodes, effectively killing it. FOX did that third option with FUTURAMA, so it's not out of the question.

Matthew Chmiel
01-14-06, 01:07 PM
FOX did that third option with FUTURAMA, so it's not out of the question.
And they did it with Reunion since The WB wanted to produce the rest of the episodes for Season One.

Jay G.
01-14-06, 01:26 PM
No but TV guide is reporting that the Office is doing phenomenal on iTunes. Just more evidence that the "Nielsen" model is flawed & outdated.

The Office is a top 20 show amongst Tivo users & generates a ton of d/ls on iTunes where you actually have to pay for it, yet doesn't garner great Nielsen numbers. It just doesn't add up.
To be fair, the Tivo and iTunes audiences aren't that huge, especially in comparison to the population at large. The iTunes number was 100,000 total episodes downloaded, which means individual episodes received far less downloads. The Office already receives far more than 100,000 viewers per episode while it aired, and even if it received 100,000 more per episode, it wouldn't affect the ratings much. NBC has already speculated the high number of downloads is because the type of people who watch the show, which they know from the Nielsen numbers, are young, well off, and thus much more likely to own Ipods than viewers of other shows. The shows producers speculated that many people are watching it while at their work on their computers, which makes sense as well. Nothing indicates this type of audience is large enough to affect the Nielsen ratings though, at least not yet.

And Nielsen is adding more DVR viewers to its survey sample, up until it matches the same percentage as overall Americans who have DVRs.

The problem isn't with Nielsen, which does its job well, which is to say how many people who are watching it on TV. The problem is whether a Network should just take in consideration those types of viewers. Product placement means that people will see a product even if they skip past the commercials (Chili's references in The Office). Download revenue can offset costs, as can DVD sales and syndication, at least to the production company. Paramount discounted the last season of Enterprise to UPN in anticipation of DVD and syndication sales.

With Arrested Development, it's a strong seller on DVD, but the viewership numbers have never added up. FOX cares mainly about the numbers they can show to the advertisers. If reruns of Prison Break get more viewers, so be it. ABC will be a similar boat, although they might give it a break if it brings in certain viewers or critics awards. Showtime won't care about selling the show to advertisers, but if AD doesn't help their subscription level, it could get the axe.

Jackskeleton
01-14-06, 06:50 PM
You have to seperate FOX the network from Fox Television Studios, and even from Fox Home Entertainment. All three are seperate entities, and should be treated as such. Fox TV Studios would definitely benefit from the show continuing, since they produce it. They would also get additional revenue from DVD sales, as would Fox Home Entertainment, which distributes this particular show on DVD. However, once the show leaves FOX, the network, FOX receives no more revenue from in. In fact, if the show is picked up by ABC, and the show is a success on ABC, Arrested Development would then be a competitor to whatever FOX show is on at the same time. Networks usually don't like to give their competitors ammunition.

Fox has attempted to repackage this so many different ways and attempted to sell it to the viewers over the course of three seasons and it's not hitting a target big enough to warrent it being on their own network.

Much like how they offer Buffy, Angel and Tru Calling to other networks and only Buffy got the chance to go to two different ones, I see why the network would mind giving it to another network. Especially when the other two of the three companies benefit. Especially in the aspects they are in. Television gets all that much closer to the magic syndication number and Home Video gets more shows to package into a dvd that is selling in the top 50 no problem.

Buffy got that bump from WB to UPN and because UPN felt the ratings were lackluster they didn't want to take on Angel when WB canceled it (hey, could reunion be a sort of f you?) and Tru Calling was offered to both networks and they shot it down.

Considering how much of a ratings slumper AD is, All three entities have everything to gain from the move. Fox Network doesn't need to worry about low ratings bringing down advertisment rates, 20th Television has a couple more episodes to reach magic number and Home Video has a hot seller to keep selling.

FOX did that third option with FUTURAMA, so it's not out of the question.

Difference... 2 million dollar budget cartoon that no one else could afford and Fox had two seasons worth of episodes left to air.

Arrested Development is already wanted and they only have four episodes to burn which are already set to air in Feb.

uhftv
01-14-06, 09:06 PM
Tv Guide Channel just announced fox will air the AD 'season' finale in February.

Jeez, is it summer already?

Jay G.
01-14-06, 11:58 PM
Tv Guide Channel just announced fox will air the AD 'season' finale in February.

Jeez, is it summer already?
The word "season" is being used in this context to refers to a production run of a show. Otherwise the term "season finale" would almost never make sense, since a show usually is shown over the span of several of the orbital seasons (fall, winter, spring) before its own "season" ends.

Jay G.
01-15-06, 12:56 AM
Fox has attempted to repackage this so many different ways and attempted to sell it to the viewers over the course of three seasons and it's not hitting a target big enough to warrent it being on their own network.

Much like how they offer Buffy, Angel and Tru Calling to other networks and only Buffy got the chance to go to two different ones, I see why the network would mind giving it to another network.
You're still confusing three seperate entities as one unit. Buffy and Angel were never developed for FOX the network and then "offered" to another network. They were developed from the ground up for the WB.

Televison studios and Television networks must work as seperate, autonomous units, as mandated by Federal Law. As a result, lots of shows produced by Fox Television Studios are made for networks other than FOX, and FOX airs shows produced by studios other than Fox Television.

Especially when the other two of the three companies benefit. Especially in the aspects they are in. Television gets all that much closer to the magic syndication number and Home Video gets more shows to package into a dvd that is selling in the top 50 no problem.
Except there's no benefit for FOX, the network, and the ball is in their court. Basically, whenever a show is cancelled and allowed to go to another network, it's at the grace of the original network. Sometimes that network can be nice about it, and sometimes they can be dicks.

Buffy got that bump from WB to UPN and because UPN felt the ratings were lackluster they didn't want to take on Angel when WB canceled it (hey, could reunion be a sort of f you?)
No, because FOX network never saw one dime from Angel or Buffy, so why should it care whether they were cancelled or not?

Considering how much of a ratings slumper AD is, All three entities have everything to gain from the move. Fox Network doesn't need to worry about low ratings bringing down advertisment rates,
It won't have to worry about that anyway if it doesn't order anymore episodes to air. Whether or not it sells on DVD or in syndication is of little concern to it.

Difference... [Futurama was a] 2 million dollar budget cartoon that no one else could afford and Fox had two seasons worth of episodes left to air.
They had 20 episodes backlogged, even though only 18 episodes had been produced for season 4. And that was at mid-season. For a normal show that backlog would be enough for one season, but FOX milked it for another year and a half, airing an average of 14 episodes a season for the show's last 3 seasons. FOX did the slow kill for that show.

As for other networks, Futurama never had the chance to even try other networks, since it wasn't cancelled until a year and half after the production shut up shop.

Now, I'm not saying Arrested Development will face the same fate. FOX doesn't have the same backlog of episodes to air, so cancellation could be much more imminent. Also, while not directly benefitting from its continuation, FOX's parent company might like to see it continue to the benefit of two of its other divisions, unlike Reunion, which was produced by Warner Bros and would likely be released on video by WHV. It's by no means a slam dunk though that it will be released by FOX to go to another network.

Jackskeleton
01-15-06, 06:05 AM
Except there's no benefit for FOX, the network, and the ball is in their court. Basically, whenever a show is cancelled and allowed to go to another network, it's at the grace of the original network. Sometimes that network can be nice about it, and sometimes they can be dicks.

And as many times as it has been said... what has fox done to Arrested Development to show that it's being a dick to it?

You're still confusing three seperate entities as one unit. Buffy and Angel were never developed for FOX the network and then "offered" to another network. They were developed from the ground up for the WB.

Televison studios and Television networks must work as seperate, autonomous units, as mandated by Federal Law. As a result, lots of shows produced by Fox Television Studios are made for networks other than FOX, and FOX airs shows produced by studios other than Fox Television.

Thanks for stating what I already know first hand. The point is, much like tru calling, The over all business has two thirds to benefit from this. Network may lose a show, but they already have shitty ratings with the show. So it's no loss to lose it or give it up to another network and run it as a first run syndication program to another network. Especially when Home Video and 20th Television gain to profit from it.

As for futurama, even when new episodes weren't ordered and they burned away the episodes that to them would last the two seasons because of how many times football pre-empted them, no other network was interested or even considered it because of the production cost per episode.

Fox Network has the rights of first refusal for the 20th television shows. In this case, they will either have the choice to renew or refuse it. At that point 20th television and imagine go for the first run rights to others. Especially with ABC and showtime expressing great interest and Fox already set for when they will burn off the episodes and wipe their hands clean of it, I don't see why you can't tell that this is a completely different case then.. say Reunion.

This is a different case completely.

while not directly benefitting from its continuation, FOX's parent company might like to see it continue to the benefit of two of its other divisions, unlike Reunion, which was produced by Warner Bros and would likely be released on video by WHV.

gee, thanks for stating what I already said. Much like how WB canceled Angel because they wanted to go with a potential pilot that failed, WB had no interest in or invested concern for angel since it wasn't there production. Much the same Fox doesn't give a shit about Reunion. It doesn't benefit the over all investiment of the studio in the other aspects. So they just don't care in that case. But with arrested development, they have plenty of reason to concern themselves. It could help home video's numbers in dvd sales down the line and it could get 20th television to have another 88 episode syndicated show. Considering once you hit that number you make free money with your show it's something that Fox Network has a invested interest by News Corp to take a bullet for and allow it to go somewhere else.

Jay G.
01-15-06, 12:38 PM
And as many times as it has been said... what has fox done to Arrested Development to show that it's being a dick to it?
Well, so far it hasn't officially cancelled the show, despite shortening the order for new shows this season and now burning through the rest. Productions can't sit on their haunches forever, people need paychecks. When Firefly was over, it was officially cancelled before the last episode aired. Maybe they have a legitimate reason for not officially cancelling AD yet, they may still even be considering another season or something. However, from an outside perspectinve, they seem to be acting like dicks, letting the show slowly twist in the wind with an uncertain fate.

Thanks for stating what I already know first hand. The point is, much like tru calling, The over all business has two thirds to benefit from this.
The point is, the network FOX doesn't care about those other divisions, they have no involvement in them. Whether or not AD continues has no impact to FOX if it isn't continuing on their network.

Network may lose a show, but they already have shitty ratings with the show. So it's no loss to lose it or give it up to another network and run it as a first run syndication program to another network.
If it's no loss, why do they occasionally not let other networks pick up the shows they cancel?

As for futurama, even when new episodes weren't ordered and they burned away the episodes that to them would last the two seasons because of how many times football pre-empted them,
It wasn't just pre-empted by football. They'd often air reruns of Futurama instead of new episodes, or even reruns of King of the Hill. FOX often started the show's seasons late, sometimes as late as December, and often ended the seasons early, as early as April. For season 4, only 3 episodes aired before the Superbowl, so pre-emption was really the least of the show's worries.

no other network was interested or even considered it because of the production cost per episode.
And what's the production cost on AD? I've heard it's above average, because of the sheer number of setups the episodes can have. And no network considered Futurama because the show wasn't officially cancelled until over a year after production had all closed up.

Fox Network has the rights of first refusal for the 20th television shows. In this case, they will either have the choice to renew or refuse it.
And they could be dicks about it and not make a decision for a prolonged period of time.

At that point 20th television and imagine go for the first run rights to others. Especially with ABC and showtime expressing great interest and Fox already set for when they will burn off the episodes and wipe their hands clean of it, I don't see why you can't tell that this is a completely different case then.. say Reunion.

This is a different case completely.
Why is it an entirely different case? In both instanced, FOX doesn't see any additional revenue. At least with Reunion, the WB was offering to buy the existing episodes from FOX, episodes it doesn't look like they're going to air. They would've seen money from that move.

gee, thanks for stating what I already said. Much like how WB canceled Angel because they wanted to go with a potential pilot that failed, WB had no interest in or invested concern for angel since it wasn't there production.
The WB doesn't have any productions, and neither does FOX, or ABC, NBC, CBS, or UPN for that matter.

Much the same Fox doesn't give a shit about Reunion. It doesn't benefit the over all investiment of the studio in the other aspects.
Fox studio didn't make Reunion. Are you confusing the network with the studio again?

....it could get 20th television to have another 88 episode syndicated show. Considering once you hit that number you make free money with your show..
I've seen the "magic number" for syndication be as low as 65 episodes, and as high as 100. The truth is that there is no solid "magic number" for a show. More episodes do make a show more appealing to syndication, since it'd repeat itself less often, but I've seen shows like "Sledge Hammer," "Ned and Stacey," and "Get a Life" in syndication, all of which lasted for only 2 seasons. Family Guy was sold into syndication with 49 episodes. Firefly's being re-aired on Sci-Fi with only 14 episodes.

Matthew Chmiel
01-15-06, 01:40 PM
I've seen the "magic number" for syndication be as low as 65 episodes, and as high as 100. The truth is that there is no solid "magic number" for a show. More episodes do make a show more appealing to syndication, since it'd repeat itself less often, but I've seen shows like "Sledge Hammer," "Ned and Stacey," and "Get a Life" in syndication, all of which lasted for only 2 seasons. Family Guy was sold into syndication with 49 episodes. Firefly's being re-aired on Sci-Fi with only 14 episodes.
Another recent show to be sold into syndication without any "real" number of episodes has been UPN's remake of The Twilight Zone (there were only 30-something episodes produced). Not only does it play on weekends in quite a few markets, but INHD also has the rights to rerun the show as well in HD.

Jackskeleton
01-15-06, 02:32 PM
Well, so far it hasn't officially cancelled the show, despite shortening the order for new shows this season and now burning through the rest. Productions can't sit on their haunches forever, people need paychecks. When Firefly was over, it was officially cancelled before the last episode aired. Maybe they have a legitimate reason for not officially cancelling AD yet.

Well, who knows why it's not canceled yet. The talk is that if it were to cancel it the hard ball playing would take a different route and Fox could potentially get lower offers for the show. If the show is on the air and not canceled the value may be higher. You're right that productions can't sit on there ass. But I can tell you one thing, every set prop is still up in sound stage 5.

If it's no loss, why do they occasionally not let other networks pick up the shows they cancel?

What was the last show that other networks were interested in getting and the fox network or 20th television said no to?

The WB doesn't have any productions, and neither does FOX, or ABC, NBC, CBS, or UPN for that matter.

Oh my god, you keeping pressing this. I short handly written WB but what I'm refering to is Warner Brothers Television. Perhaps this is why you keep thinking I'm confussing network, television, home video, production companies and so forth.

Fox studio didn't make Reunion. Are you confusing the network with the studio again?

No shit, that's what I already pointed out and/or I don't see how you got to that idea that I'm thinking 20th Television produced it. The Fox Network or News Corp as a whole has nothing to benefit from Reunion. 20th Television isn't the production company that makes it, Home Video doesn't get a dime from any potential dvd and Network saw lackluster ratings for it.

More episodes getting sold into syndication gathers more value when selling it. While there has been cases in the past of highly wanted shows being sold, the model still normally stays the same but has dropped from the 100 episode mark to even 75. It depends on the demand of the show.

ChrisKnudsen
01-15-06, 05:15 PM
Man, this AD arguement is giving me a headache. I hope the final 4 episodes thread doesn''t get hijacked with this overused arguement. I just want to hear about possible news of the Showtime and ABC developments.

Jackskeleton
01-15-06, 05:57 PM
The argument about if it benefits fox or doesn't is besides the point and really has gone on longer than it should. We already know that it will be shopped around by the production company to others and others are more than interested. The "what ifs" shouldn't even be factored in because you might as well ask "what if Jason Bateman dies tonight."

We should all be glad that it's going to get a two hour final send off and just wait and see what the possible news on what the future holds for it.

DRG
01-20-06, 11:33 AM
More news on the Showtime front (comments from the Showtime president and the Showtime CEO):

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|99635|1|,00.html

Showtime Wants to Get 'Arrested'

By Rick Porter

Friday, January 20, 2006

08:56 AM PT
Showtime is certainly not playing coy about its desire to pick up "Arrested Development" if FOX cancels the show. But the cable network doesn't seem to be blind in its ardor either.

Speaking to reporters Thursday (Jan. 19) at the Television Critics Association press tour, Showtime Entertainment president Robert Greenblatt acknowledged that his network and 20th Century Fox TV, which produces "Arrested," have been discussing the show. (ABC has reportedly expressed interest as well.)

"I always thought it was probably a better fit on a cable network than on a broadcast network," Greenblatt says. "And you know, in fact, I think it really does fit in with a lot of the things that we're doing."

Still, several things have to fall into place for the Emmy-winning series to make the move to premium cable. FOX, first of all, has to cancel the show -- which it probably will, given network head Peter Ligouri's statement earlier in the week that it's "highly unlikely" the show will return to FOX next season. And Greenblatt says striking the right deal between network and studio "is complicated and takes longer than you'd ever imagine."

More important, though, Greenblatt says Showtime would only want "Arrested Development" if its creator, Mitch Hurwitz, remains involved.

"I think he's the genius behind it, and he hasn't yet come to that decision to continue the show," Greenblatt says of Hurwitz. "He's been through a lot of sort of emotional roller coaster over the last couple years. So he finished the season for FOX, and he's in that period of, you know, thinking about whether he wants to continue the show."

"Arrested's" audience of about 4.2 million viewers per week is pretty small for a broadcast network. But for Showtime, which is in fewer than 20 million homes, even, say, a quarter of that number would be considered a success. The lure of the show could potentially lead to new subscriptions, meaning a bigger possible audience for Showtime's other series.

"[Picking up 'Arrested'] at a point in time where we're having a good deal of success both critically and commercially makes a really big statement for us," Showtime Chairman and CEO Matthew Blank says. There's a lot of things we could be doing right now. But for me, the prospects of having 'Arrested Development' and [recent Golden Globe honoree] 'Weeds' on this network, you know, at the same time are quite remarkable."

Chew
01-20-06, 11:41 AM
Any chance we could get the network presidents of Fox, ABC, and Showtime into a cage match to decide this once and for all?

Michael Corvin
01-20-06, 01:02 PM
Sure. Film it and add it to the Boy Fight collection.

Nosebleed
01-20-06, 01:32 PM
I've never seen someone so fiercely loyal to an employer than Jack is to Fox. What is your job, exactly? To stick up for them on internet messageboards?

Birrman54
01-20-06, 01:37 PM
I think Jack has a point, and I can't complain about Fox keeping AD on the air as long as it did. Sure some of the night/time changes may not have helped, but at the end it comes down to the American TV viewing Public not watching this show.

birrman54

Nosebleed
01-20-06, 01:43 PM
He does have a point. It's just tiring to see a lengthy defence of its actions whenever someone makes a negative comment about Fox.

rfduncan
01-20-06, 01:56 PM
He does have a point. It's just tiring to see a lengthy defence of its actions whenever someone makes a negative comment about Fox.
[Linda Richmond voice]FOX sucks. Talk amongst yourselves.[/Linda Richmond voice] ;)

majorjoe23
01-20-06, 02:00 PM
I've never seen someone so fiercely loyal to an employer than Jack is to Fox. What is your job, exactly? To stick up for them on internet messageboards?

Really? He's been critical of the X-Men films and said this about Fox in the Malcolm in the Middle thread.

The problem is that after Malcolm hit the syndication mark the network just hasn't really cared about it. Putting it on fridays and also where Futurama was during Football season doesn't help in the slightest bit.

ChrisKnudsen
01-22-06, 06:51 AM
from zap2it.com (looks like if it is going to happen, its going to be Showtime):
'Arrested Development' a 'Long Shot' for ABC
By Rick Porter Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:29 AM PT
And now, the last "Arrested Development" story from the Television Critics Association midseason press tour.

Speaking to reporters Saturday (Jan. 21) at the Television Critics Association press tour, ABC Entertainment chief Steve McPherson acknowledged his love for the show but also said chances are slim it would land on his network next fall.

"I don't really foresee" a situation in which ABC picks up the Emmy-winning series, which is likely on its last legs at FOX. Earlier in the week, FOX head Peter Ligouri acknowledged it was "highly unlikely" that he'd pick it up for a fourth season, although the network has yet to cancel it outright.

"I just love that show. I believe I can market that show really well," McPherson says. That said, he considers it "a long shot" that "Arrested" will wind up on ABC in the fall.

That would apparently leave Showtime as the show's last, best hope for new life. Thursday, Showtime's Robert Greenblatt said the pay-cable network and "Arrested" producer 20th Century Fox TV have been discussing a deal for the show. He also said he would only want the series if creator Mitch Hurwitz remains in charge, and Hurwitz hasn't made that decision yet.

Jackskeleton
01-22-06, 04:12 PM

Is it just as tiring as seeing lengthy amounts of people calling me a shill? How about how tiring it is to see most post composed of "FUCK FOX!" or "FOX SUCKS!" without anything more. I try to toss a bit more thought into it.

When Fox does something stupid or that I disagree with I point it out. As quoted already, I have no love and don't justify the networks task on shows like Futurama, Firefly and other series that were canceled for no other reason than Fox didn't try or didn't care. I can see why some things are canceled and I speak as someone who has a good amount of knowledge of the behind the scenes actions and why they are taken in such a fashion.

I think that while it may sound like a shill, I do make a valid point on the majority of "defense" that I provide for the Network, Studio and any other aspect. Hell, take a look at my comments about Fox News. I really am Fair and Balanced when it comes to my comments about Fox.

It's just that in this case, I feel strongly that the network did just about everything they could to get an audience and came up short on all accounts. The public was just not making the show turn a profit and that really makes it suffer. Hey, it pains me to say it since I love the show. It's my bread and butter.

But hey, since you asked. I do lighting and other "below the line" work at the studio lot. I haven't seen a paycheck for "defending the company name on message boards" though.

Groucho
01-24-06, 07:14 AM
According to an LA Times article, Showtime will pick up the show only if Mitch Hurwitz stays on board:

Link to article (http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/cl-et-showtime21jan21,0,7102368.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=widget )

ChrisKnudsen
01-24-06, 05:29 PM
According to an LA Times article, Showtime will pick up the show only if Mitch Hurwitz stays on board:

Link to article (http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/cl-et-showtime21jan21,0,7102368.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=widget )

I think it that is already somewhere in this thread or maybe its in the final 4 episodes thread.

ChrisKnudsen
01-24-06, 05:31 PM
Oh wait, its mentioned on this page already.

uhftv
01-24-06, 09:34 PM
Interesting how people compared this show's existence to what Sports Night went through so many years ago. And now it's almost exactly the same situation, as when SN was cancelled several premium cable outlets were interested in picking it up, but once Sorkin pulled out because of a potentially smaller budget and being busy with TWW, all interest dried up. In fact the same producers, Howard and Grazer, were involved with that show as well.

Things look more promising this time, since Hurwitz isnt getting into fistfights with any of the actors.. yet.

ChrisKnudsen
01-26-06, 03:05 AM
I hope it comes true. I found this crazy stuff when reading Tuesday's Variety about Scrubs:
And even with new hits "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office," Lawrence figures that, unless every one of NBC's midseason comedies work, the net will need "Scrubs" to help anchor a second comedy block outside of Thursdays. Indeed, even if NBC passes, ABC topper Steve McPherson -- who developed "Scrubs" while running Touchstone -- has indicated he'd buy the show for the Alphabet.

ChrisKnudsen
01-26-06, 07:54 PM
It looks like my Scrubs thing started a new thread, I guess as it should.

Decker
02-04-06, 11:35 AM
Bringing this back :
Next week may be our last glimpse of the Bluths ever :(

I was searching for news about the possible deal and found this article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20060204/GT6COVER04/TPEntertainment/TV). Note : Article contains spoilers about remaining episodes in later paragraphs. What's strange is that this guy says the Showtime deal fell apart (which really would be the death knell for the show), but I can't find that report anywhere else. Does anyone else have any info before I hold my wake next week?

shawagg
02-04-06, 03:20 PM
You need to add a spoiler warning to that artical you linked to.

When you get to tthe paragraph:

"Arrested Development was quirky, if low-rated, and won five Emmys in its first season. Fox bounced it around for three years..."

Stop reading, he gives away the plot lines of the last 4 eps.

Decker
02-04-06, 03:31 PM
Ok, spoiler warning added. I'm still upset about the news, if true. Why can't I find any info on this elsewhere?

shawagg
02-04-06, 10:58 PM
Well it is a column... columns are opionion pieces and maybe the entertainment writers haven't noticed it yet or have determined that they can't confirm it so why report it.

JuryDuty
02-10-06, 10:16 AM
Will Arnett (GOB) was on The Daily Show last night and said in passing that this was the last four episodes on FOX. Don't know if that's official, but certainly worth noting for those of us who have been wondering...

mrpayroll
03-10-06, 03:26 PM
Wow, it's been a month since the last post. Sorry, no new news, except this:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5283

Arrested Development - The final (?) season announced

Posted by Gord Lacey
3/10/2006

Producer Ron Howard's critically-acclaimed, fan-favorite series about the weird and wacky Bluth family returns for its third (and possibly final) uproarious season. Emmy winner for Outstanding Comedy Series, "ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT" has attracted a cult following of die-hard fans with its uniquely witty characters and outrageously funny storylines.

With the fate of the series still up in the air (there's talk of Showtime picking it up), Fox is planning to release the third season on <B>June 13</B>. This 2 disc set will contain the 13 episodes produced for season 3 (286 mins). The set will sell for $29.98

Disc 1:
The Cabin Show
The British Bombshell
Forget Me Now
Notapusy
Mr. F
Ocean Walker
Prison Break-In

Disc 2:
Making A Stand
S.O.B.s
Fakin' It
Family Ties
Exit Strategy
Harboring Resentment

The Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1) picture will be accompanied by an English Surround audio track, and English, French and Spanish subtitles. We haven't heard what the bonus material will be, but there should be some on the set.

Chris

Y2K Falcon
03-10-06, 03:32 PM
Wow, it's been a month since the last post.
Well, in the interim, there was a different, though extremely similarly named thread that didn't get merged into this one: :lol:

<a href = 'http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457407'>Arrested Development renewed? NY Post Online rumor PAGE SIX</a>

Lateralus
03-10-06, 03:50 PM
There will probably be a third thread when the show offically gets picked up:

OMG! Showtime picks up Arrested Development LOL LOL LOL LOL (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=999999)

mrpayroll
03-10-06, 04:10 PM
Well, in the interim, there was a different, though extremely similarly named thread that didn't get merged into this one: :lol:

<a href = 'http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457407'>Arrested Development renewed? NY Post Online rumor PAGE SIX</a>

This was actually the thread that I was looking for. But I don't remember seeing it under search. -ohbfrank-

Chris

mrpayroll
03-10-06, 04:11 PM
There will probably be a third thread when the show offically gets picked up:

OMG! Showtime picks up Arrested Development LOL LOL LOL LOL (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=999999)

Are you cyber squatting that url? ;)

Chris

Tracer Bullet
03-10-06, 06:02 PM
Wasn't the last episode of the third season called "Development Arrested"? What's with the name change?

mrpayroll
03-10-06, 06:10 PM
Wasn't the last episode of the third season called "Development Arrested"? What's with the name change?

Yeah, when I saw that it didn't seem right to me.

Chris

Jay G.
03-10-06, 09:01 PM
The season finale was originally titled "Harboring Resentment," but shortly before FOX decided to air all 4 episodes together, it was changed to "Development Arrested," probably in anticipation of it possibly being the series finale. Either the name got changed back for the DVD set, or the spec sheet for the DVD set was written with older information.

Tracer Bullet
03-10-06, 09:34 PM
The season finale was originally titled "Harboring Resentment," but shortly before FOX decided to air all 4 episodes together, it was changed to "Development Arrested," probably in anticipation of it possibly being the series finale. Either the name got changed back for the DVD set, or the spec sheet for the DVD set was written with older information.

Hey, thanks! :thumbsup:

mrpayroll
03-21-06, 01:22 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/the_pulse_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002199854

March 21, 2006

Still no 'Development' in Showtime's future

By Ray Richmond

A cat has nothing on "Arrested Development," which has to be somewhere in the double digits when it comes to lives amassed. Simply surviving for the better part of three abysmally rated seasons on Fox was worth a good half-dozen life spans alone. And lately, the rumor mill has been working overtime to give the Emmy-winning comedy another handful or so.

The show's traveling to Showtime has been trumpeted in various media as a done deal repeatedly since late last year. And then, somehow, it doesn't get done, giving us all license to write cutesy headlines like "Showtime Can't Get 'Arrested' -- Yet."

So fervent is "Arrested Development's" cult following that the mere possibility of Showtime's picking it up and producing more originals has proven a badge of enormous goodwill for the pay cabler. Arguably, the ongoing scuttlebutt is at least equally beneficial to actually ordering and running the show.

Never before has so much been written about and speculated upon with regard to a program that averaged a 6 share. It's the underachieving stalwart that we won't allow to die, an ongoing symbol of art triumphing over commerce. Yet for the moment, it remains simply another homeless property stuck in neutral.

Be that as it may, let's take a moment to separate "Arrested Development" fiction from "Arrested Development" fact.

n Fiction: The show has already been snapped up by Showtime to the tune of a 26-episode order, which will be announced any day. Fact: Showtime's hands are tied, pending a decision by "Arrested's" creator and executive producer, Mitch Hurwitz, who is said to be physically and mentally drained and undecided whether he wants to come back for more.

n Fiction: FX is also in the bidding for "Arrested Development." Fact: There is no bidding. ABC was once in the mix but is thought to have dropped out, leaving it a Showtime-or-nobody proposition.

n Fiction: Hurwitz can take his time making a decision because the actors and writers love the job so much they'll wait it out. Fact: Contractually, Hurwitz has basically until June to go forward (or not). After that, he loses most of the cast and writing staff.

n Fiction: If Hurwitz wants to keep the show in production, Showtime is on board no matter what. Fact: The word is that Hurwitz would require huge wads of cash to be lured back, and there are surely limits to Showtime entertainment president Robert Greenblatt's largesse (even at the "No Limits" network). But if a deal can be worked out, the cabler is apparently indeed on board to commit to 26 new originals over two seasons.

Hurwitz -- difficult to snare for interviews over the past year and pretty much impossible lately -- couldn't be reached for comment, while Showtime merely confirmed its ongoing interest in the property. But it's as easy to see this thing falling apart as coming together, given the guru's ambivalence and the fact an agreement would require Showtime to lay out upwards of $60 million for a series with iffy mainstream appeal at best.

Showtime would naturally be counting on "Arrested Development" to bring in scads of press and a sizable bump in its subscriber base so as to justify such a pricey proposition. But it has already shown it will put up big money to turn out projects it believes in, such as the drama "Huff" (which launches Season 2 on April 2) and the limited-run series "Sleeper Cell."

As Greenblatt has previously stressed, his network has the luxury of attracting a niche audience to a quirky show like "Arrested" and claiming it a major success. The bigger question in the meantime is whether the man who fathered it will ultimately succumb to the dreaded Bluth Burnout or answer the bell for Round 4. If he knows, he's not telling.

It's not looking good! :(

Chris

Lateralus
03-21-06, 05:15 AM
If they think 12 episodes a year are going to bring "in scads of press and a sizable bump in its subscriber base" they are kidding themselves.

:( Oh well, I guess my new favorite show is The Office.

Jay G.
03-21-06, 06:55 AM
If they think 12 episodes a year are going to bring "in scads of press and a sizable bump in its subscriber base" they are kidding themselves.
The Sopranos gets scads of press every year when it launches, and they only make 13 episodes a year. Likewise, Rome got a lot of press, and that was a 12 episode season. I don't know how many subsribers the shows themselves pull in, but The Sopranos gets very good ratings for a cable program, let alone a pay channel one.