Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Power Centers, are they worth it?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-13-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm looking for a new gadget...I basically have a older surge supressor on my HT setup. I'm looking at getting something new, but wondering if the power centers are really worth it.

Something like this: Monster HTS3500MKII
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...ge=-1&id=29477

Or this:MONSTER HTS1000
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...ge=-1&id=11798

What should I look for or should I even bother. I don't know much about what "clean power" really is.

Thanks
Old 12-13-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered a Monster HTS 2600 for two reasons.

1) I need the outlets (I have 13 devices in my HT setup right now)

2) It looks cool.

I paid $175 for a used unit from Audiogon. I'm not sure I would drop $350 on one (and that's saying a lot, coming from me!)

I can't claim that I have been able to hear an improvment in sound quality. But, I do like the organization the power centers provide, as well as the way they look.
Old 12-13-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A good one should clamp down even on a fairly direct lightning strike, or lesser surges. Beyond that and Bob's 2 points, there isn't much use. I use 2 since my HTS2000 doesn't have enough outlets if I want to plug in a game.
Old 12-13-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

I have heard good things about Panamax. I bought one of their surge protectors, but they do make some nice power stations (which have a lot more features for a lot less money than Monster). They have a nice low/high shutoff feature which will disable power to your system if the power fluctuates too low or high and will restore power when it is in a safe level again. I defintely recommend them.
Old 12-13-05, 10:45 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the difference between these "power centers" and a UPS with automatic voltage regulation? I currently use a UPS with AVR, but would consider upgrading if what I'm using isn't enough to protect my gear.
Old 12-14-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really LIKE the look of the rack mountable Power Center, but I don't think all my power cables will reach it....so, I may have to go with something like the HTS1000....is it worth it?
Old 12-14-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mount it in the middle.

I just got my HTS2000 replaced after surge problems, even though they aren't fully convinced it was damaged. They are also giving me a little for a dead component, although not much since it can't be proved that the surges killed it. So I'm expecting a check in a month for around $130, and I paid $120 originally for the HTS2000. Financially, I'm doing ok. And the HTS200mkII is better than my original. So they've paid me $10 to upgrade.

mbs,
If the UPS doesn't have good MOVs, you may want to add a surge protector. But it likely does. If you want serious protection, surgex.com or furmansound.com, or at least panamax.
Old 12-14-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem is, if I get a mountable one, my TV will not reach it...the power cord (I think)

I'm looking at the ones that basically are a power strip, but offer "clean" power
Old 12-14-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extension cord. I have one from my PJ on the ceiling, and another from my sub on the other side of the room. 13 amp black 3 prong extensions designed to be used by power tools. I have to point them out for people to see they exist.

"Clean" power is a marketing trick. The MOVs in any of these should even out the power by shunting surges and noise away. My new 2000 has a voltage display, it has varied from 117 to 122 that I've seen. Considering most power supplies are rated from 110-130 or something like that, not a problem. If you want better protection, leave the marketing gurus behind (Monster) and get a serious device (like SurgeX) that does more than a MOV. Better yet, have an electrician install a whole house protector, that should still be under $1000.

I like the 12 outlets in my 2000, they are all filled. I have a little HTS800 for additional, occasional use. The only reason I picked Monster over Panamax was the availability of a greater variety of products. Since you have to have EVERY outside wire run through one of their protectors for the warranty to be valid, I found Monster easier to use for my whole house, which is all interconnected. I have the 2000, a couple 800s, and a 400 in 3 different rooms. It was the 400 and the 2000 that sold me, Panamax didn't really have matching products, I would have had to buy more items or more expensive items when not necessary.
Old 12-14-05, 12:50 PM
Banned

Another option, if you don't want to run lines, is to go with an in-wall installation. Panamax has a few options here as well.
Old 12-14-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could I stack my DVD player on TOP of the power center? (The Monster 3500). I only have a 4 shelf component rack, top is my HD-CAble, middle is receiver, 3rd is DVD (which is the thinnest), 4th is the 360.

Just wondering if you SHOULD stack components like that...if not, I may just get the HTS1000 that I can place on the floor where my cheap surge protector is.
Old 12-14-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on heat, not sure how hot it gets.