Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Serenity re-release likely?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serenity re-release likely?

Well, does anyone know or strongly believe that a Serenity re-release is likely? If it is, I'm going to hold off.

(My apologies if this was asked before.)
Old 12-13-05, 12:59 AM

Honestly, I would be surprised if it got a re-release before HD. Given the fact that it will probably be $14.99 - 17.99, I say buy it anyway, but that's just me. (I will be buying it even if it's $20)
Old 12-13-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie was released to DVD very quickly after its theatre run. Was it rushed? I don't know, but I would guess it will have a SE.
Old 12-13-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah, but they knew it was going to be rushed and had already been working on extras way back. Simple answer is YES. Every movie will eventually be re-released.
Old 12-13-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm under the assumption based off a couple of interviews that it will indeed be double dipped.
Old 12-13-05, 03:36 AM

Maybe there will be a double-dip someday, but this is a quite complete release as it stands. And it's clear that the theatrical cut *was* the director's cut.

The deleted scenes are here. (Likely all of them; if you followed the production and know the screenplay, you know that very little was shot that wasn't used. The unused scenes are in the screenplay, and they're all reportedly on this disc.)

The director commentary is here.

A nice collection of behind-the-scenes featurettes is here:
-Future History: The Story of Earth That Was
-What's in a Firefly
-Re-Lighting the Firefly
-Joss Whedon Introduction

This is not a rush job.

RichC
Old 12-13-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Any possible re-release of this movie on DVD is going to be dependent on the sales for this first DVD. If too many people hold off purchasing this DVD in hopes of another release further down the line, then there definately won't be a second release.

In the DVDTalk interview with Joss Whedon, he mentions that the rumored full cast commentary was never recorded, so there aren't any extras that aren't going to be on this DVD.
Old 12-13-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't be suprised at all...apparently the R2 is getting an exclusive 20 min featurette and R4 Australia is getting extended scenes + Q&A with JW so wouldn't be suprised at all to find these filtering through to a US re-release at some point.
Old 12-13-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to be buying this version anyways. The movie is well worth the double dip.
Old 12-13-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting December 20th to finally see this, since I was too busy to see it during its ten-day theatrical run.
Old 12-13-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reading this review just makes me
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19247

Will they double-dip this? Maybe... but I wouldn't suspect that it'll be too soon. And they may even hold out a few years for blu-ray or whatever.

It's cheap ($16.xx at Amazon), has great audio/video, a commentary, deleted scenes, and other extras. That seems good enough to me and I'm certainly not going to hold back because they may decide to add another featurette in a year or two. (Universal's reissues tend not to be amazing... see 12 Monkeys, American Pie, etc.)
Old 12-13-05, 11:07 AM

I can't wait for 12/20. I can't wait to double dip on this. I'm sucker for Joss. Anything the man does is golden.
Old 12-13-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading about "Firefly" and "Serenity". My question is do i need to see Firefly first before i see Serenity? Does one have to do with the other or not?
Old 12-13-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roger_d
I've been reading about "Firefly" and "Serenity". My question is do i need to see Firefly first before i see Serenity? Does one have to do with the other or not?
"Serenity" continues (I think it's) nine months after the end of "Firefly", and while watching "Firefly" enhances the film, it is in no way necessary to enjoy the film. I recommend the review here on DVDTalk mentioned already.

But, if you intend to watch them all eventually, start with "Firefly" first. You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-13-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Possibly not, but I can't recommened Firefly enough. I picked it up at DDD during their sale and was hooked immediately. Great show (and great buy). I'd recommend finding a good price on the boxed set, buying Serenity, then watch in order. Shouldn't be missed.
Old 12-13-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you both for your response, i think i'll check out firefly first and then serenity. Thanks again, i appreciate the help.
Old 12-13-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you both for your response, i think i'll check out firefly first and then serenity. Thanks again, i appreciate the help.
You've chosen well. I've yet to meet anyone who has been disappointed doing this...
Old 12-13-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboisvert
You've chosen well. I've yet to meet anyone who has been disappointed doing this...
Same here. Heck, even my mom liked it.

You'll have to report back and let us know what you think, roger! To be a young Browncoat again..

Also, in answer to the actual topic, I'm sure it will be re-released. No time too soon though. But that's been covered well enough already above! Go get it next week and enjoy it!
Old 12-13-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I saw Serenity at the theater having never seen Firefly. I loved it. So much that I picked up Firefly during the sale as well. I have only gotten through the first episode so far but it even felt like a movie.
Old 12-13-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I was really expecting a packed, multi disc set when I heard the theatrical release was pushed back from spring to fall. I figured that would give them plenty of time to have a superduper shiny edition all ready and waiting. I'll likely buy any and all versions that come out, so it's a moot point I guess.
Old 12-13-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For Joss Whedon, Gilmore Girls, The Goonies, or Scream I would tripple, quadripiple, 100 times double dip... and i have no reservations about buying this teh day of release...
Old 12-13-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This first release is giving us the movie in what I'm sure will be superb video and audio, deleted scenes, and a director's commentary. I'm in for this one regardless of whether or not a rerelease shows up down the road, which I don't expect until it's in some HD format. For guys like me who buy for the movie first and foremost this is all I really need.
Old 12-13-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been on the fence about buying Firefly for about a year now (I've never seen it or Serenity).

On one hand, it is almost universally praised.

On the other hand, I don't like Buffy (the only Whedon show I've seen) or sci-fi. According to DVDaf, the only sci-fi DVDs in my 500+ collection are Brazil, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Minority Report, Aliens, The Abyss, Futurama, and Galaxy Quest.
Old 12-13-05, 08:56 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by illennium
I've been on the fence about buying Firefly for about a year now (I've never seen it or Serenity).

On one hand, it is almost universally praised.

On the other hand, I don't like Buffy (the only Whedon show I've seen) or sci-fi.
I'd probably pass then. I'm exactly the same, don't like Buffy/Angel at all, and don't really care for sci-fi.

I ended up going to Serenity with friends for the hell of it, and didn't care for it much. It didn't suck by any means, but it was a little too corney and TV movish for my tastes and wasn't something I'd want to see again.
Old 12-13-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be very surprised if this movie gets another edition.

However, even if it does...it's worth owning twice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.