Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Maverick TV series First Season to DVD ???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 01:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any confirmation on what is listed on Amazon.Com ? The released date is not a typo on my part.

Maverick - The Complete First Season (1957)
Starring: James Garner, Jack Kelly Director: Franklin Adreon, Richard L. Bare

Share your own customer images
Availability: This title will be released on December 31, 1969. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives
Old 12-16-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
I don't know about Maverick, I hope WB releases season sets.
But sometime in the middle of 2006 Cheyanne Season 1 is coming out.

That was mention on www.tvshowsondvd.com
Old 12-16-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah, the 69 date usually means it is being considered but not set in stone...no news yet...buy that tv favorites disc if you want more later.
Old 12-16-05, 07:22 AM

yah, the 69 date usually means it is being considered but not set in stone.
Sorry, Cameron, but actually you'll find the meaning of that in more detail here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4363

Basically, it means (in my own words) "this title has not been released, and Amazon doesn't want their users to do a search on that title at Amazon.com and come up with 'we couldn't find what you're looking for', so we're giving you this ridiculous entry instead."

It was an accidental by-product of Amazon's recent changover of computer systems, and replaced all the entries that said "Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title."

I just this second checked, and apparently something's been fixed, because it now says "Availability: We will e-mail you when this title becomes available". Looking up WKRP also gives the same result, so maybe we're done with the 1969 thing finally. But the disclaimer is still there that says, " *Please note "December 31, 1969" is not the actual release date for this product. We are currently working on a fix and will display the correct release date shortly." Of course, the problem with that disclaimer's wording is that there IS no release date...the 1969 date is only on items that have no release date from a studio.

So the upshot is, there is no studio involvement in Amazon's choice to list entries that way. If Amazon detects that a title - any title - is searched on more than a certain percentage of all searches, then they will make a "dummy" entry for the title and use that wording...the studio is not consulted. If you pick a film or TV show that isn't found on Amazon right now - let's pick "Jason of Star Command", a live-action 1979 Saturday morning show from Filmation that's not on DVD - that currently comes up in an Amazon search as "DVD search results: we were unable to find exact matches for your search for jason of star command. Would you like to search again?" Now a whole bunch of us should go search for that on Amazon and see how long it takes for "JoSC" to get a similar entry to the "Availability: We will e-mail you when this title becomes available". Since this is a Filmation title, it is owned by Entertainment Rights of UK and is not currently licensed for DVD release in the USA (unless its status changed *very* recently).

I don't know about Maverick, I hope WB releases season sets.
But sometime in the middle of 2006 Cheyanne Season 1 is coming out.

That was mention on www.tvshowsondvd.com
Thanks for mentioning us, we appreciate it! I have bad news for you, though. Cheyenne won't be the only item to potentially go from TV Favorites to season sets, but apparently Maverick did not make the cut. The best of disc for Maverick didn't sell as well as Cheyenne and other season-set candidates did. Sorry. I know I bought my Maverick best-of, and there's still time to pick up copies of this as gifts if you want to help try to change the studio's minds.

I'll make it clear: I prefer season sets, and I hate endorsing best-of's. But it seems that there is no other way to prove to the studios that the show is desired on DVD.
Old 12-17-05, 12:06 PM
Cool New Member

I can't believe that Cheyenne out sold Maverick with James Gardner being a bigger name and still making films,It qute a surprise, what next Sugarfoot outselling Maverick!!!!!! Now if only they released the "Roaring Twenties.