Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rockford Files Defects?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 01:08 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford Files Defects?

Some of the reviews on Amazon for RF s1 complain about Universal's dual-layer discs and that some RF discs either do not play at all or freeze up frequently. Is this universal to all players, is it just some brands or totally random?

If a replacement is just as bad as one's original purchase, makes one pause before purchasing it at all. Any experiences out there, good or bad?

Last edited by Larbo; 12-10-05 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I don't have Rockford Files. But from what you said, it seems to be the same as with other Universal DVD 18s.

I don't think it's specific to any particular DVD players.

You might want to take a look at this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442435
Old 12-10-05, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Pioneer player has never had a problem playing these dvds.
Old 12-10-05, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

Grundle, thanks for the link. Gord's thread is both informative and discouraging. Ticks me off reading about all of those posters that have paid good $$ on DVD sets that they cannot play without freeze-ups or worse... esp if its a series that they really like.

I suggested to Gord that he may want to do a poll on DVD Player brands with DVD-18 problems just to see if there is any correlation. Starving's comment about his Pioneer seems to underscore the possible value of such a poll. I have a Pioneer but one vote does not constitute a trend. As much as I love the Rockford Files, the possibility (or probability) of repeatedly returning a DVD set for a replacement that may be no better does not sound like fun.

Edit- I have been informed that there is already such a poll on Gord's site:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/faq/dvd18.cfm

Last edited by Larbo; 12-10-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I can only say I had the exact same problems with these Universal discs on my Sony 725P, Sony GX7, Sony S300 and a Sharp I also tried them on (not mine and I can't think of the model number). Pioneer may be better able to handle the disc errors, but I don't have one to test them on. The Bela Lugosi disc was the only exception and it played correctly on the old Sony S300, however, the S300 had trouble with all the others I tried.
Old 12-10-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Pioneer is the best- why would you settle for anything else?
Old 12-11-05, 07:58 PM

Getting back to the OP's question...I've not read any reports of defects with Rockford on any of the major DVD forums.

Is this because the set is defect free or because people have stopped buying Univsersal product?
Old 12-11-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starving dvder
My Pioneer player has never had a problem playing these dvds.
Neither has my Pioneer 525.
Old 12-12-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem with Magnum PI Season 1 on my Malata or Oppo. I will be trying Rockford soon. It just arrived today.
Old 12-12-05, 10:00 PM

According to fans who already have the box, the biggest defect is it's missing the two hour pilot eps! Anyone else know about this?!
Old 12-18-05, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After finishing the set, I didn't have any problems with any discs freezing up or not playing at all. The series still holds up well and I'm glad it's finally out on DVD, although if I had any complaints aside from the missing pilot and the lack of extras, it's the video. While the episodes were the best that I've seen of the show, there were scenes where the video was very fuzzy and there was 1 or 2 episodes (I think it was the 2-parter, Profit and Loss) where there were a lot of dirt on the screen and those two episodes weren't quite as clean as the others.