DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : NY Times article on Alec Baldwin as SNL host

seymouru
12-09-05, 05:51 PM
Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/arts/television/09bald.html) (free reg req'd)

Interesting overview of AB's career as host of SNL, comparing him to stalwarts like Steve Martin, Buck Henry, and John Goodman. Also describes his impact on the younger members of the cast. Plus, a preview of some of the sketches we might see on this week's show:

A takeoff on "Brokeback Mountain" (the working title was "Brokeback Goldmine") in which Mr. Baldwin would play an old, gay prospector; a spoof of Take Our Daughters to Work Day, in which he would play a father who gets fired as his child looks on; and a reprise of his dead-on Tony Bennett, who would interview Saddam Hussein or Osama bin Laden or maybe Dick Cheney.
Sounds promising; I just hope he raises the show out of its current trend toward mediocrity, rather than being taken over by it.

mayfieldbrian
12-09-05, 08:01 PM
Even though I am not a big fan of his, I would put him in the top five SNL hosts.

Jimmy James
12-09-05, 08:22 PM
Also of note (as I mentioned in the SNL hosts thread), we get Steve Martin again in February. That is outstanding news. :)

Charlie Goose
12-09-05, 10:14 PM
Those skits sound pretty good, I was expecting
a spoof of Brokeback Mountain. Lord knows Baldwin has no problem kissing a guy, look what he did with Phil Hartman that one time.