Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Serenity 2" Might Be Heading to TV.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 05:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

i guess this is either good news or bad news for all you "Serenity" fans. i'll rent the DVD and then let you know if i am bummed.

"Serenity 2"
Old 12-08-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm ok with that. Serenity was good dont get me wrong but it lost a lot of the character interaction that made Firefly so wonderful. We might get that back if they moved it Back to the small screen.
Old 12-08-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I didn't see anything at all in this article to indicate that a sequel is even a possibility yet. Rumours such as this also flew around when Angel was cancelled that 'telemovies' might be a possibility ...which I have yet to see emerge.

Unfortunately, as much as I loved Firefly and Serenity, the odds of seeing anymore of that universe are such that I wouldn't want to play them;/

Michael
Old 12-08-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They need to release a super-special edition of Serenity on DVD that costs $150. Make it five-discs, give it a Joss Whedon hand puppet, scripts, a T-Shirt. Then see how many of these rabid fans snap it up. Use that money for sequels.

Otherwise, it's about as much a daydream as having Austin Stories on DVD.
Old 12-08-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamnit, do you ever search?

This exact topic has already been mentioned in two seperate threads. The Serenity DVD thread (over in DVD Talk) and the Serenity thead in this forum.

Either way, Universal has no power to make a televison sequel. When they bought the rights for Serenity, they only have the power to make theatrical films. I don't know where the rights lay when it comes to direct-to-video films, but 20th Century Fox owns everything involving the television rights. The only way this would happen is if Fox is fronting the money for the sequel, but all articles mention that Universal/Sci-Fi is fronting the bill for this proposed idea.

I'm just hoping the DVD sales kick ass so maybe they may just do a theatrical sequel, but as other than that, I'll take anything to keep this universe going.

i guess this is either good news or bad news for all you "Serenity" fans. i'll rent the DVD and then let you know if i am bummed.
As of now, it's the best fucking news we heard. I don't know where you were during the month of September, but all the fans who saw the film pretty much liked it. Hell, we even converted a few.
Old 12-08-05, 09:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock on! Sounds good to Animal
Old 12-08-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good grief, calm down.
Old 12-08-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

This exact topic has already been mentioned in two seperate threads. The Serenity DVD thread (over in DVD Talk) and the Serenity thead in this forum.
Well, I for one, appreciate the new thread. I don't understand why it would be buried in a thread about the DVD and in another thread about the already released theatrical version, and you would think that was acceptable. I am a fan of the series, but, honestly, I am not reading ever new post in those other threads. This is new news not relevant to those other threads.
Old 12-08-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
While the rights thing may seem to be a problem, after Serenity's dismal box office, Fox may have sold Universal the TV rights at a reduced cost. Not likely, but it could happen.
Old 12-08-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
that begs the question.. why would they want to buy the rights to a dismal box office franchise?

also, Fox is making a nice profit on dvd sales, why give up the potential to screw around with that.
Old 01-10-06, 01:38 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is from scifi.com
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=34083

Serenity Might Fly Again?

Loni Peristere, visual-effects supervisor for the SF movie Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that there's hope for future flights of the cast and crew of the movie, which just came out on DVD. Director Joss Whedon—who also created the canceled Fox TV show Firefly, on which the movie is based—expected that the movie might draw the low numbers it did in its theatrical release, Peristere said in an interview. But he added that the movie's sales on DVD, which came out on Dec. 20, are running neck-and-neck with the hit comedy Wedding Crashers, which bodes well for a possible Serenity sequel.

"We kind of expected this from our audience," Peristere said. "We did so well on [Amazon.com] with the Firefly box set and the performance of that helped us get the movie made. We wish the audience would get up and go to the theater, but it shows that they like to keep coming back and revisiting the world Joss created." Serenity made $25 million at the domestic box office after it was released Sept. 30.

Whedon and his crew are waiting to see how well the DVD numbers go before proceeding with a Serenity sequel, Peristere said. "We really hope to return to this work," he said. "We love the characters. It's fun storytelling, and we all love using our talents. ... It all depends on Joss. He's not giving up on the characters. He had incredible writers who had a million stories to tell, and we're all just hanging out and seeing what the world has to give us, and given the opportunity we'll make more."

In the meantime, fans of both show and movie can enjoy the DVD's various extras, which include an Easter egg: a featurette about the making of the Fruity Oaty Bar commercial that appears in the film. "In the main menu, if you play around with the buttons you'll find a featurette of the Fruity Oaty Bar," Peristere revealed. (From the main menu highlight "play," then press left, which will highlight a marker on the right side of the menu; press enter to see the featurette.) "It's all a lot of fun," he said.
Old 01-10-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 01-10-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
People who don't do searches are worse than Hitler.
Old 01-10-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Theres no real source for this yet but i hope it does happen one way or another. I don't even mind if Whedon only supervises as long as they get someone like Tim Minear to run it.
Old 01-10-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they green-light a sequel based on DVD sales. It will probably be a growing trend in certain genres where DVD sales over-take the BO. And if Serenity 2 (?) is made for a theatrical run, I'm sure Whedon would direct it if he is as passionate about his "universe" as he says he is.
Old 01-10-06, 11:12 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Okay... the real question is, when was last time you saw a decent SciFi tele-movie?

Old 01-10-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Okay... the real question is, when was last time you saw a decent SciFi tele-movie?

Starship Troopers 2 was decent.

And by decent, I mean shitty.
Old 01-10-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 01-10-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll watch a sequel if it's done with sock puppets on PBS. Just bring it on...
Old 01-10-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They won't let this thing die a peaceful death.
Old 01-10-06, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Searching most of the time for me sucks ass. I prefer to just look at what topics are new for the day. If I ever need to search 9times out of 10 I don't get the results I'm looking for. So, just say fock it.
Old 01-10-06, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was royaly pissed that
Spoiler:
Wash was killed off
... (thus diminishing my interest in seeing a sequel)

as for the movie, I'd have to say not having seen any of the original series - the movie just didn't do it for me... oh well, to each his own.
Old 01-11-06, 08:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

While pointing out the search feature is a good thing, I would ask that in the future you do so in a less abrasive manner.