DVD Talk
YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION!!! (Not official, but confirmed-ish) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION!!! (Not official, but confirmed-ish)

Seantn
12-08-05, 04:34 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4659

All I can say is WOO-HOO. I can't wait. It will be a part of Nickelodeon's Rewind Collection.

Geofferson
12-08-05, 04:45 PM
Awesome!

Super Leviathan
12-08-05, 04:49 PM
Weren't there a buttload of WKRP IN CINCINATTI-level legal red tapes and music rights keeping YCDDOTV in limbo?

I can only surmise that this will be some kind of Best-Of thing, akin to what the Electric Company is getting.

Seantn
12-08-05, 04:51 PM
Anything is better than nothing at this point. I'll take what I can get.

marcellusk
12-08-05, 04:53 PM
Barfy Burgers!!!!!!!

Doughboy
12-08-05, 04:57 PM
Weren't there a buttload of WKRP IN CINCINATTI-level legal red tapes and music rights keeping YCDDOTV in limbo?

I don't know.

[gets slimed]

The Bus
12-08-05, 04:59 PM

I heard that's all water under the bridge now...

*splash*

David Lambert
12-08-05, 05:25 PM
I can only surmise that this will be some kind of Best-Of thing, akin to what the Electric Company is getting.

Negative. Not from what I heard, anyway.

SPiRAL
12-08-05, 05:41 PM
Blue skys
Barfy Burgers
Girls !!

Scott27
12-09-05, 12:54 AM
Just read it at TSoD. Great news! I wasn't expecting this to be a part of the Rewind Collection because I didn't think Nick owned it. I guess they do now.

grundle
12-09-05, 01:04 AM
Whoo hoo!

This is awesome!

I'm guessing this will start with season 2. That's fine by me. I just hope people don't get confused when they can't find season 1 anywhere.

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 each had 13 episodes.

Season 5 had 26 episodes.

It was during season 6 that Lisa Ruddy left, and during season 7 that Christine McGlade left. So seasons 2, 3, 4, and 5 are what I really want.

I hope there's no censorship on these DVDs. I was 11 in 1982 when I started watching this, and I am smarter and better for having seen it.

Masamune
12-09-05, 01:41 AM
Oh god. I loved that show. Give it to me. Now!!

JP5683
12-09-05, 02:45 AM
I just read this at TSOD then came over to here.

This is FANTASTIC news!

I spent sooooo much time acquiring the episodes, but I'm all over this!!!

This was my all time favorite show!

From what I know, most of the season 1 episodes are lost. 1979 eps were live. One lady who worked for CJOH gave tapes to her son, but they were damaged a few years later in a basement flood. I have 4 of them on tape, they are good, but quite different than seasons 2 and on.

There was a "Worst of" VHS released long ago. I had a ton of opportunities to purchase it, and didn't.

I just believed that Nick would air it forever. The show went out of production in 1991, and they aired it until 94. Long life for a great comedy.

Supposedly the fact that so many kids came and went during the series run meant that CJOH would have to pay lots of $$$ in residuals that they weren't ready to do.

Nickelodeon never has owned the show, although they wish they did.

They 'borrowed' episodes to show during their 20th anniversary celebration.

There are plenty of dated jokes, most of today's kids wouldn't get stuff.

And while a good portion of the humor is considered cutting edge and shocking for its time, it's tame now.

But I still love it!!!!!

Oh, did I have a crush on Lisa...

nightwing82
12-09-05, 10:43 AM
WOO! Extremely happy. I will buy all of these.

Now, please give me some releases of Doug, Salute Your Shorts, and Hey Dude and I will be happy. I need at least one season of all of those on my shelf.

I would also love a box set type deal that has an episode from each gameshow they did.... Double Dare... Super Sloppy Double Dare... Family Double Dare... Finders Keepers... Get the Picture... Nick Arcade... Guts... Legends of the Hidden Temple...

marcellusk
12-09-05, 10:50 AM
WOO! Extremely happy. I will buy all of these.

Now, please give me some releases of Doug, Salute Your Shorts, and Hey Dude and I will be happy. I need at least one season of all of those on my shelf.

I would also love a box set type deal that has an episode from each gameshow they did.... Double Dare... Super Sloppy Double Dare... Family Double Dare... Finders Keepers... Get the Picture... Nick Arcade... Guts... Legends of the Hidden Temple...

Don't forget Out of control and Today's special!

Mr. Cinema
12-09-05, 11:00 AM
"Today's Special" consumed my life to about age 5.

"Today's Special, shouting loud and clear......Today's Special!"

Doughboy
12-09-05, 12:03 PM

What?! No love for Turkey Television?;)

Numes
12-09-05, 12:11 PM
Wow. I remember watching this show, Turkey Television, Today's Special, and Pinwheel as much as possible when I was a kid.

I have a hard time believing this show will stand the test of time. I caught some snippets from I Love the 80's 3D a couple of weeks ago, and it looked pretty bad. I sure did love it as a kid, though.

I will probably buy it anyways, just to relive some childhood memories :)

Xander
12-09-05, 01:27 PM
Pinwheel Pinwheel Pinwheel!

:) Don't know if I would actually buy it, but that was my #1 favorite show when I was a kid. Still remember the theme song.

Seantn
12-09-05, 02:05 PM
Supposedly the fact that so many kids came and went during the series run meant that CJOH would have to pay lots of $$$ in residuals that they weren't ready to do.

I can tell you that this is not true. I know one of the former cast members, and he says that at the time he didn't realize it since he was a kid, but they were all paid next to nothing to do the show. He was on for a few seasons in the mid-80's and a few years back he said he'd love for a DVD to be released so he could make a little money off the show.

Quack
12-09-05, 07:19 PM
I almost fainted when I saw this news last night at work.....I can't wait for this....

coladar
12-09-05, 07:26 PM
Awesome news. The classic Nick shows, with Pete & Pete, this and Hey, Dude at the top, are some of the last few "must haves" for me. Hard to imagine five years ago I'd ever see YCDTOT in stores. Now hopefully they'll get the ball rolling on Clarissa again. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I'd still like to see the rest of the seasons released.

JP5683
12-10-05, 05:51 AM
I can tell you that this is not true. I know one of the former cast members, and he says that at the time he didn't realize it since he was a kid, but they were all paid next to nothing to do the show. He was on for a few seasons in the mid-80's and a few years back he said he'd love for a DVD to be released so he could make a little money off the show.

Ok, maybe residuals was the wrong word to use. Maybe they just feel they would be obligated or something. But I know that CJOH is not really a big station anymore, they just produce news or something.

I'm kinda outta the loop. I used to post and read on the YCDTOTV boards when they were on AOL, used to do a lot of trading too. Looooong time ago.

SilverDreams
12-10-05, 10:27 PM
I can see the cover now, I don't remember what seasons Alanis Morissette was on the show, but I want to say it was later in the run. STARRING ALANIS MORRISSETTE in HUGE type, on the box or a sticker on the shrink wrap. Nobody else will get any kind of billing. I used to love this show when I was a kid. And recently saw the episode of family guy where Peter gets slimed and then they show the guy's cracked face like the credits of YCDTOT. I almost peed.

woofman
12-11-05, 08:09 AM
What Do You Thinks In The Burger!?!?!?!?!

David Lambert
12-11-05, 08:48 AM
Alanis Morissette was only on the show in 1986, so it will be several season sets before they get to her.

Albert71292
01-06-06, 07:02 PM
I'd buy it if it's released, had a huge crush on Christine McGlade back in the day... plus, the writing was good...not great, but good... kind of along the lines of the writing of "Hee Haw".

StuddThunders
01-24-06, 01:29 PM
The real star of this show was Kevin Ilyanovich Rasputin Kubusheskie.

This show was great when I was a kid.

Turkey TV needs a revival. "It's time for Mr. Fuddle, the greatest liar of all!"

"I heard that!"

Pinwheel was good when I was five, but that friggin' show was on for like eight hours each day. Plus and Minus were a couple of douches.

enrage
01-24-06, 01:49 PM
i loved this show when it aired. my grandmother would always make me change the channel if she caught me watching it. she said it was bad for my brain

GregS
01-24-06, 01:53 PM
nick also needs to put out Are You Afraid fo the dark

grundle
01-29-06, 06:34 PM
There's a chance that You Can't Do That On Television won't be released this year. But maybe it will be:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5011

xia
01-29-06, 09:18 PM
that's..kinda making me worried about future rewind series..

JackBurton
02-01-13, 09:53 AM
I hesitate bumping this as I don't want to get hopes up, but I noticed that 7 episodes from the first season are available for "digital download" purchase on Amazon. Not sure what that means, if anything, regarding any potential DVD release.

http://www.amazon.com/Episode-1/dp/B00B3TCQDQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359733433&sr=1-6&keywords=you+can%27t+do+that+on+television

ETA: I guess they are on iTunes as well.

Quack
02-01-13, 12:08 PM
I also saw this...I had reached out to Shout! and they said they don't have any plans to release it. :(

grundle
02-03-13, 01:10 AM
I hesitate bumping this as I don't want to get hopes up, but I noticed that 7 episodes from the first season are available for "digital download" purchase on Amazon. Not sure what that means, if anything, regarding any potential DVD release.

http://www.amazon.com/Episode-1/dp/B00B3TCQDQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359733433&sr=1-6&keywords=you+can%27t+do+that+on+television

ETA: I guess they are on iTunes as well.

Description of one of the episodes:

While being held captive, a boy discovers a sneaky, clever way to pull a fast one on his captor and make his escape.

Heh heh - that was in every episode!

Of my 25 favorite TV shows of all time, YCDTOTV is the only one that has not been released on DVD.

Quack
04-16-13, 10:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Hygiene/dp/B00C0OMFHU/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1366169235&sr=1-2&keywords=you+can%27t+do+that+on+television

Volume 2 is now up. I think I have an iTunes GC laying around, so I'll probably order both to support it in hopes of getting a DVD some day.

Spottedfeather
04-17-13, 02:39 PM
Description of one of the episodes:

Heh heh - that was in every episode!

Of my 25 favorite TV shows of all time, YCDTOTV is the only one that has not been released on DVD.

What are your 25 favourite shows ? I'm the complete opposite. Of my 25 favourite shows, barely any of them are on dvd. Or they put out one, or maybe two, seasons and stopped. There is no Bionic Six, only 2 seasons of Perfect Strangers, a lot of Small Wonder and Mr. Belvedere are missing, WKRP only had one season out, Smurfs only has a season or two out, no Wake Rattle And Roll, no Today's Special, no Mr. Dressup, no Secret City, no Fred Penner's Place, no Teddy Ruxpin movie, no Rainbow Brite,....

Where's Wonder Years, Step By Step, or the rest of Murphy Brown ? Or Newhart ? The rest of Hill Street Blues ? Even Stevens ? Inspector Gadget ? Heathcliff ? Alvin And The Chipmunks (I'm tired of the random episode releases)?

Almost none of my favourite shows are on dvd.

grundle
04-24-13, 10:36 PM
What are your 25 favourite shows ?

Spoilerized for size:

1) Magnum, P.I.

2) My So-Called Life

3) Get Smart

4) The Simpsons

5) You Can't Do That on Television

6) Jonny Quest

7) Freaks and Geeks

8) Gilmore Girls

9) Land of the Lost

10) Gilligan's Island

11) Adventures of Superman (1950s George Reeves)

12) Hawaii Five-O (original version)

13) Speed Racer

14) Square Pegs

15) I Dream of Jeannie

16) All in the Family

17) The Muppet Show

18) Alias

19) Godzilla (1970s Hanna Barbera)

20) Degrassi High (1989-1991)

21) The Jeffersons

22) I Love Lucy

23) Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales