Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mega Man Zero series.. Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mega Man Zero series.. Good or Bad?

So, what the general consensus on this GBA series? I've heard a few passing statements that it's the place to go for a continuation of the classic Mega Man style gameplay. I found a copy of Zero 2 sealed for $20 at GameRush (I'm beginning to like that place) and was curious is this was a good series to pick up for when I'm looking for more action on the GBA. Is it good for a single game or good enough to follow to whole series (up to 4 now.. typical Capcom)?
Old 12-08-05, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Honestly I've only played the first one but it was excellent. Great tight controls and a very good difficulty. Some may think it is too hard but I don't think so. It definately isn't any cheap deaths and you can pass the difficult sections after awhile. It plays more like the Mega Man X series which is a huge plus in my book.

I say go for it. I think that you would enjoy it.
Old 12-08-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I read somewhere that at least the first one was like a combination of Mega Man action with Metroid style exploration. Sounds like a winner to me.. of course, that asking price for a complete copy of the first one is pretty steep.. every single GBA game I have is complete. Difficult.. for me.. to accept.. cart.. only.. *malfunction*
Old 12-08-05, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always enjoyed the Zero series. The first one tried to go off on it's own and be something different but IMO didn't live up to previous Mega Man games. The sequels are way more like the other Mega Man games in terms of presentation, progressing through the game (ie:beat 8 bosses, fight castle bosses, fight 8 bosses again). You collect fairies and upgrade them in each game and they each aid you when used somehow. They're good, refreshing Mega Man games that are very fun and I would highly recommend them.
Old 12-08-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I have all of them, and they're all good (that is, if you like standard Mega Man action, you'll like these) - but they all sorta run together for me and I have a hard time differentiating between them (not to mention a hard time playing them, because they're so friggin' hard - though they're much easier when played on the GB-Player through the GC with the better controller and bigger screen).

Except for the new 4th one - only because that's the only one with a selectable difficulty level, which doesn't necessarily make it easier, but for me, makes it far more playable.
Old 12-08-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah I read somewhere that at least the first one was like a combination of Mega Man action with Metroid style exploration. Sounds like a winner to me.. of course, that asking price for a complete copy of the first one is pretty steep.. every single GBA game I have is complete. Difficult.. for me.. to accept.. cart.. only.. *malfunction*

Hmm...didn't know that it was that steep. I actually got it for $5 at one of CC clearance sales.

I know what you mean about complete games. I let one of my friends borrow Mario 2 for the GB and I borrowed Metroid II. Well I gave him back his game but never got mine. I've been looking for Metroid II complete for awhile. I love the new DS cases. I will definately be a great thing for used games and completists like me.
Old 12-08-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Wait... do you guys keep all your GBA cases?

I go through phases where I think I'll keep them just for fun, but then realize (or my wife helps me realize) how useless they are, and I throw them all out...
Old 12-08-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I keep my GBA games and booklets, and I keep them MINT - but I always toss their boxes - it's just so much cheap paper...
Old 12-09-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I sold the first three Mega Man games on ebay to help pay for my Gamecube when it came out. Snagged around $75 each. All were MINT in the box with everything. It pays to keep stuff.

I still have a dozen more (various games) complete games for the NES, from when I played them.
Old 12-09-05, 10:56 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by slop101
I keep my GBA games and booklets, and I keep them MINT - but I always toss their boxes - it's just so much cheap paper...
I seem to hold on to them until I move, then they all get tossed.

I try to keep them for a while as it helps with trades (whether in the forum here or in a store).
Old 01-26-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to bump this to say I picked up the Zero 2 and started playing it and it is quite excellent. Hard, but not annoying hard, more like.. learn the game and then kick-ass hard. The different weapons are cool though I seem to be using my sword and chain more than the blaster. Swinging around like Bionic Commando and slicing enemies up. The music is fantastic as well! Some of the best on GBA and the graphic details are great.. each enemy (even bosses) has different death animations depending on whether you shoot or cut them.
Old 01-26-06, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I remember getting the first one and finding it amazingly frustrating. Then again, I've noticed that a lot of GBA games are high up there in difficulty, so it just could have been part of the trend.
Old 01-30-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have all four Zero games. The first one was really weak but the later ones were much more fun.