Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime II

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

From queensryche.com :

REVENGE, ROCK, REDEMPTION -- QUEENSRYCHE’S OPERATION: MINDCRIME II

Long-Awaited Sequel to Platinum-Selling Concept Album Available From Rhino March 14

LOS ANGELES — Queensr˙che returned to the studio this summer to record the long-anticipated sequel to 1988’s acclaimed concept album Operation: Mindcrime. Praised by critics and certified platinum, the original remained on Billboard’s album chart for more than a year and its dynamic music and powerful message still resonate today. Rhino Records helps unravel the mysteries of the original with OPERATION: MINDCRIME II. The album is available March 14 at regular physical and digital retail outlets and at www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $18.98.

OPERATION: MINDCRIME II contains a 15-song story and is performed by the Seattle-based quintet – singer and chief songwriter Geoff Tate; guitarists Michael Wilton and Mike Stone; bassist Eddie Jackson, and drummer Scott Rockenfield.

Tate says the current political and social climate inspired him to revisit the storyline. “I left the original open-ended with the intent to come back with a sequel to finish the story up,” he says. “Considering where we are today and how little things have changed, it was too ironic not to continue the story.”

Operation: Mindcrime’s intriguing and complex plot revolves around Dr. X, a political puppet master who brainwashes Nikki, the story’s main character, to assassinate corrupt public figures. The story also includes Nikki’s lover, Sister Mary. A former teenage prostitute who becomes a nun, Sister Mary is murdered mysteriously, leaving the cliffhanger “Who Killed Sister Mary?”

Set 20 years after the original, OPERATION: MINDCRIME II explores Nikki’s fate after being released from prison and reveals the identity of Mary’s killer. “I tried to put myself in Nikki’s shoes and imagine what it would be like for him to come back to society after spending 20 years in jail stewing about what happened to him,” Tate says. “I became fascinated with the concept of revenge and what that would do to a person like Nikki. The story is ultimately about how Nikki wrestles with his conflicted emotions. On one side, his base instincts are pushing him to kill those who wronged him. On the other side, his conscience–represented by the spirit of Sister Mary – urges him to learn from his past mistakes and find salvation.”

Earlier this year Queensr˙che launched a sold-out tour featuring the original Operation: Mindcrime performed in its entirety with actors on stage portraying the characters alongside the band. Tate says the band plans to launch a tour in 2006 that will feature a stage performance of both Mindcrimes in their entirety. “The actors on stage with us add a new dimension to the music,” he says. “It’s different than your typical rock show, but the audiences really got into the Mindcrime I tour. It’s exciting to have the opportunity to combine both albums into one show. It’s going to be epic.”

Since its formation in 1981 near Seattle, Queensr˙che has released nine studio albums. Empire, the 1990 follow-up to Operation: Mindcrime, sold more than two million copies thanks in part to the enormous success of the hit, “Silent Lucidity.” Released in 1994, Promised Land was certified platinum and featured the hits “I Am I” and “Bridge.”

QUEENSRYCHE - OPERATION MINDCRIME II

1. “I'm American”
2. “One Foot In Hell”
3. “Hostage”
4. “The Hands”
5. “Speed Of Light”
6. “Signs Say Go (Will I Surrender?)”
7. “Re-Arrange You”
8. “The Chase”
9. “A Murderer”
10. “Circles”
11. “If I Could Change It All”
12. “An Intentional Confrontation”
13. “A Junkie's Blues (Everything Will Be Alright)”
14. “Fear City Slide”
15. “All The Promises”
Just around the corner. I'm looking forward to it. It will be interesting as to what kind of sound the album will have since Tate has all but denounced early QR as rubbish. Hopefully a good mix of styles will be represented. Also good to hear about a monster concert for both albums since I have missed the Mindcrime shows this year.
Old 12-06-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
All I know is that if you call it Mindcrime II it had better be damn good because there is a high standard associated with that name. If it is anything like the last 3 albums, it will be mostly shit.
Old 12-06-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to be excited, but after the crap releases of Q2K and Tribe, I don't know if Queensryche has it in them any more.

That being said, it's great to have Pamela Moore back as Mary, and as someone that saw the original Mindcrime show (the "Building Empires" tour), the idea of doing both in their entirety in one concert will get me to attend the show. Gotta remember to re-up my fanclub membership for the soundcheck and aftershow meet & greet.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 12-06-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in how this will turn out, but based on the last few albums, I'm not expecting to like it.
Old 12-06-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first Mindcrime, was the 1st QR album I ever heard, and it's still one of my all-time favorites. But, I think if you want to judge a new work based on your hatred of recent works, you're doomed to dislike anything they put out. Sounds like most of you want it to suck. Well I, for one, am keeping an open mind.
Old 12-06-05, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
You can hear live versions of I'm American and Hostage on their website to get a feel for how this will sound.

http://www.queensryche.com/releases/...n-mindcrime-2/

They played Hostage when I saw them earlier this year and I wasn't impressed at the time. We'll see how the mix turns out. Definitely looking forward to see how this goes.
Old 12-06-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cineman
The first Mindcrime, was the 1st QR album I ever heard, and it's still one of my all-time favorites. But, I think if you want to judge a new work based on your hatred of recent works, you're doomed to dislike anything they put out. Sounds like most of you want it to suck. Well I, for one, am keeping an open mind.

Wow, how hard did you work to misinterpret what's being said?
Old 12-06-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Ditto.
Old 12-07-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

International Release Dates:

U.S. -- 3/14/06
JAPAN -- 3/22/06
GERMANY -- 3/10/06
ALL OTHERS -- 3/13/06
Old 12-07-05, 02:28 PM

Where's chris?
Old 12-07-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's being released on my Birthday........HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

But seriously, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Old 12-07-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by I.Flores
Where's chris?
Unfortunately, Chris DeGarmo left the band after Hear in the Now Frontier.
The band hasn't been the same since. Tribe offered their best work in years, with DeGarmo returning for a few songs. He apparantly has no involvment with OMII. I'm really hoping they can pull it off without him.
Old 12-08-05, 08:18 AM

I love the first one, but like others haven't been impressed with much after Empire. I will keep an open mind about this one, though. I really hope it's good!
Old 12-08-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Loved the original, but I'm really unsure about a sequel. Hopefully it will turn out good.
Old 12-08-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has been on in the works for awhile now- I was thinking it was supposed to have happened about a year ago. If the extra 16 months enabled them to come up with one more classic (which will almost certainly be their last classic) then I'm all for it. After OM I I just don't see it happening and I agree with other posters here, the last three albums aren't in the same league. Happily, we have OP and Empire regardless of how good or bad the sequel will be.
Old 12-08-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I hate to sound like the typical dvdtalker and shit on something before it's even released but I'm a bit worried about this CD. They're gonna have to really kick some ass to even come close to being as good as Mindcrime.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-10-05 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-09-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That is just it you have to have an open mind. Nothing they do could touch the original. Period. That is just a fact.

The fact is that the story actually picks up in real time, 20 years later, so you could interpret that as a basis for a new/different sound. But hopefully not totally different than the original. Hopefully the bitter aspects of Niki shine through in original OM fashion, while the hopeful parts of the story will be more like Tribe. It would be different, but I'm open.
Old 12-09-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Movie you said:

"I want to be excited, but after the crap releases of Q2K and Tribe, I don't know if Queensryche has it in them any more."

CD said: If it is anything like the last 3 albums, it will be mostly shit.

Richard said: "I'm not expecting to like it"

It goes on.

He got it right on the nose. Perhaps you overstated your thoughts, but there's no need to take it on him. It's quite clear from what you said.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 12-09-05 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-09-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

High rez?
Old 12-09-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this obviously will be horrible.

Old 12-09-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better to assume it's going to suck, than be disappointed if it does.
Old 12-16-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dr. X revealed!

Ronnie James Dio

Old 12-16-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Dr. X revealed!

Ronnie James Dio

"Lookout"
Old 12-16-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Dr. X revealed!

Ronnie James Dio

Very promising. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cover Art:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.