Reload this Page >

Super Mario Strikers Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-06-05, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this game looks great. I'm a big fan of the Mario Sports titles, espcially Tennis and Baseball this generation. The reviews look to be in line with Baseball, which for me is a good thing. This one looks to be an even better multiplayer game though.

Anyone picking this up? I have to wait until X-mas, so I don't have my hands on it yet. If someone could post some thoughts on this title I would appreciate it.

Last edited by huh?; 12-06-05 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine and I played the demo at Gamestop for about 40 minutes last weekend. This is easily the most fun of the Mario sports game from a multi-player standpoint (Mario Golf will always be my solo favorite). Another friend of mine is picking it up this week and if it stands the test of time outside sitting at a demo kiosk I'll be grabbing a copy for myself. From the looks of it though, I can already tell it'll probably appear in my weekend Gamecube multi-player rotation.
Old 12-06-05, 08:43 AM

I played the demo at EB and immediatley added it to my Christmas wishlist. I was a fan of Sega Soccer Slam and I believe it's the same team that's making Mario. Plus with Mario you have 5 people on your team as opposed to Soccer Slam's 3.
Old 12-06-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jediwicz
I played the demo at EB and immediatley added it to my Christmas wishlist. I was a fan of Sega Soccer Slam and I believe it's the same team that's making Mario. Plus with Mario you have 5 people on your team as opposed to Soccer Slam's 3.
Yup. It's kind of sad that it takes character recognition to put a game this fun into the spotlight. Had I known Sega Soccer Slam was this good it would've been in my collection ages ago, but hey, I guess that's how these things work sometimes. My friends and I have been running through Zelda: Four Swords on Saturday nights but we're all looking forward to Mario Strikers this weekend.
Old 12-06-05, 11:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not a fan of sports games, but we got in the coolest Mario Strikers soccer jerseys at work today. They're red and white and say "Mario 1" on the back, with "Super Mario Strikers!" emblazoned on the front. Definitely the best promo clothing I've seen in a while.
Old 12-06-05, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm not a fan of sports games, but we got in the coolest Mario Strikers soccer jerseys at work today. They're red and white and say "Mario 1" on the back, with "Super Mario Strikers!" emblazoned on the front. Definitely the best promo clothing I've seen in a while.

is this a promotion for people who preorder the game? where are they availble? thanx
Old 12-06-05, 11:21 PM
Retired

I'll probably pass, Mario Baseball got old fast. Especially since I rarely play multiplayer. I think the Mario sports games are best left to "simple" sports like Tennis and Golf. As being "dumbed" down doesn't hurt them much. When it comes to something like Baseball or Soccer, I'd prefer just pick up one of the regular sports games.
Old 12-07-05, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'll probably pass, Mario Baseball got old fast. Especially since I rarely play multiplayer. I think the Mario sports games are best left to "simple" sports like Tennis and Golf. As being "dumbed" down doesn't hurt them much. When it comes to something like Baseball or Soccer, I'd prefer just pick up one of the regular sports games.
Is soccer really a more complex sport than tennis? From a rules and scoring perspective, it doesn't seem to be.
Old 12-07-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I want one! Hook a brotha up.
Old 12-07-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably pass, Mario Baseball got old fast. Especially since I rarely play multiplayer.
The only one I'd recommend as a single player game would be golf.. add on the link-up between the GBA version and you've got a hell of a cool experience. The others strength is purely in their multi-player aspect. So if you're a solo player, I'd skip it.. but I would at least recommend trying the demo with a friend if you can, it's really, really fun.
Old 01-18-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My God. This game kicks all kinds of ass.

When Revolution gets its Wi-Fi up and running I demand Strikers Wi-Fi. PLEASE!
Old 01-18-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I forgot I got this one for Christmas too. How's the single player portion?
Old 01-18-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Single player is okay. It's about on par with other Mario sports games. I've personally enjoyed it more so than the other (sans Golf) as a solo game because I think the action is fantastic.. but you have to get some friends together for this one. We had a drunken 8-player Strikers tournament on New Year's Eve and it was insane.
Old 01-18-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Strikers is pure gold when it comes to multiplayer. This held our house for a good 3 weeks - a record only broken by Halo and Animal Crossing. Beating all the cups though in single was hard, found it easier if we had 4 on cpu.
Old 01-18-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game is AWESOME. The most fun I've had with a Mario game since the N64.
Old 01-18-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This games rocks the house on game night. Mario Party 7 on the other hand is not allowed back in the house.
Old 01-18-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Demontooth
Mario Party 7 on the other hand is not allowed back in the house.
Compared to other Mario Party games or just in general?
Old 01-18-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Compared to other Mario Party games or just in general?
My buddy bought the Mario Party 7 bundle and was bringing it over for game night. The game is just incredibly boring. After looking at this thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=452720

maybe we need to drink while playing it. Mario Party 7 is the only Mario Party we have played.
Old 05-12-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://xluigi.ytmnd.com/

Sorry for linking to this site, but I had to share it.
Old 05-12-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love this game.

It's amazing how brutally violent it is for a Mario game...in fact, it seems to me like it plays more like "mario hockey" than it does like a soccer game. I probably check and tackle more than I pass and shoot!

The super strikes are a bit too easy to pull off though...and the load times are uncharacteristic for a first or second party Nintendo game. I also find to power ups a bit wonky to use, and I hardly ever do, but I'm starting to get a bit more used to them. Despite these very minor criticisms, it is an amazingly fun game.

Overall, the best two player game I've bought in a long long time...we're talking super tecmo bowl/goldeneye/mario kart good.

p.s. You can't fuck with Daisy and the toad crew...don't even try it.
Old 05-12-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had more fun with Mario sports in the past 4-5 years than I have with any of the EA/Sega franchises. As an added bonus, I have no need to worry about getting the latest rosters and that sort of nonsense. Just pick it up and have fun.

I get what you mean about complex sports, and getting the AI right in football and basketball is tough. Unfortunately, football and basketball games have gotten so complicated, I don't even bother with them anymore. Any other sport, and I'm all over it.
Old 05-12-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
Overall, the best two player game I've bought in a long long time...we're talking super tecmo bowl/goldeneye/mario kart good.
Agree!

We started to turn Super Shots off.. I could do them so easily it really threw the balance off. And if you think this is fun 2 players you NEED to try it with 4, it's MADNESS, beautiful, beautiful madness.
Old 05-12-06, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Agree!

We started to turn Super Shots off.. I could do them so easily it really threw the balance off. And if you think this is fun 2 players you NEED to try it with 4, it's MADNESS, beautiful, beautiful madness.
I have only played the game in multiplayer mode (3-4 players) and there are few equals. Very fun.