DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First post and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post and questions...

Hello,

I have been lurking for quite awhile here, but decided to make the jump to poster today. I have been snagging quite a few great deals on DVD's lately with all the holiday sales going on, so I know feel like I am a collector. I just finished ordering a storage unit for my small but growing DVD collection (150 disks or so) and I also setup a list in intervocative.

I just have a couple of questions.

Can anyone recommend a simple, all inclusive crash course in DVD technology? I want to learn more about aspect ratios, DTS and other types of sound and whatever else I need to know.

I am open to suggestions for DVD's I am missing from my collection. I have about 100 more in my wishlist at Amazon, but I am buying them slowly.

Can anyone tell me more about the pay version of DVD Profiler? Is it really worth the $30 registration fee? I am going to need to print of a list of my DVD's for the new storage unit I bought. Is there an option to do that in the paid version?

Ok, I guess that is all for now.

MactheKnife
Old 12-04-05, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome, Mac! Are you a Bobby Darin fan or a Kurt Weill fan?

For your crash course, check out this thread, which should answer some of your questions and has a bunch of links that should point you in the right direction for more in-depth answers.

For the pay version of DVD Profiler, you get higher quality cover scans. You also get softare updates sooner than people using the free version. Also, from what I hear, after you have a certain size collection, the free version won't let you add any more DVDs. The exact size of the collection varies depending on the file size for the data files for your particular DVDs, but generally, it's around 5-700 DVDs. Plus, it's a nice way to support the creators of a great piece of database software.

Lastly, what movies you are missing is obviously highly subjective. Personally, I recommend everything I have in my profile (including wishlist titles, but not including certain titles that are my wife's DVDs but that I don't like. )
Old 12-04-05, 11:32 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason,

I like Bobby Darin, but the name has a different meaning. My last name is irish and starts with Mac, so I have been called "Mac" or some derivative most of my life. And I am training to be a chef, so I handle a lotta' knives.

Thanks for the pointers on the information. I don't have a huge sound system or a delux tv set, so I don't know how much of the information will be useful, but I just want to know what the terms mean.

As for suggestions, I guess I am looking for some DVD's everyone should have. The Casablanca, Silence of the Lambs, and Citizen Kane kind of stuff. I have a pretty good list going at Amazon. I have seen the Thin Man on a couple of lists but I don't know anything about it. And so many DVD's are coming out each week it is hard to keep track of them all. Any must-haves that have come out lately in special edition or whatnot?
Old 12-04-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160736
Old 12-05-05, 12:13 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The Thin Man is about Nick and Nora Charles, two amateur sleuths whose hobbies are drinking, bantering, and solving crimes. The first film is outstanding, the subsequent films increasingly less good (but none of them are bad). They're basically screwball comedies disguised as mysteries.

The latest must-have DVD is King Kong. In terms of older, fully packed classic DVDs, off the top of my head, I'd recommend (in no particular order) Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind, Casablanca two-disc, Spartacus Criterion Collection, and the Godfather collection. Generally, for classic movies, you can't go wrong with a DVD from Warner Brothers or Criterion Collection; other studios are less consistently good.

By the way, if you jump over to the Book Talk forum, there's always a robust discussion on comic books (so you can feed two of your addictions here!)

Last edited by JasonF; 12-05-05 at 12:16 AM.