Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : No host cocktails...?

BradJ
12-04-05, 11:31 AM
What does no host cocktails mean?

Cash bar? Open bar? a bunch of bottles lined up with no host to pour them?

It's for an office christmas party...

Sonicflood
12-04-05, 11:41 AM
Means you pay for your own drinks. They are not paid for by the host.

Sonic

BigPete
12-04-05, 03:21 PM
Byob

BradJ
12-05-05, 08:06 AM
I was hoping for an open bar... :(

TomOpus
12-05-05, 08:07 AM
No host bar = cheap-ass company :D

Sonicflood
12-05-05, 09:26 AM
No host bar = cheap-ass company :D

Or one that is attempting to avoid lawsuits/incidents stemming from all the FREE liquor!

Let's face it, an open bar is like a buffet, most people will just consume way more than normal, due to it being "free"!

I worked for a company once that changed from having a hosted bar to one that was not. They offered 2 drink tickets to each employee. You could get two drinks free, but you paid for the rest. We had less obnoxious people and it was not a big deal. We also had a bonus due to this:

The owner of the company got everyones attention and brought up the change in the way liquor was being offered. He said that he wanted everyone to be safe and remember the evening (laugh). He stated that he knew there was some grumbling due to the change and that he had a surprise for everyone: The company used the money that would have normally gone to an open bar and spent it on gifts cards for each of us. In the end, they were not being cheap, just responsible.

Sonic

Numanoid
12-05-05, 09:47 AM
So what does the "no host" part mean, exactly? Is there still a bartender? Apparently yes, since you're paying for drinks. And when it's "open bar", there's also a bartender, right? So what the hell does "no host" mean? Where was the host to begin with? And where have they gone?

ShagMan
12-05-05, 09:52 AM
Or one that is attempting to avoid lawsuits/incidents stemming from all the FREE liquor!

Let's face it, an open bar is like a buffet, most people will just consume way more than normal, due to it being "free"!

I worked for a company once that changed from having a hosted bar to one that was not. They offered 2 drink tickets to each employee. You could get two drinks free, but you paid for the rest. We had less obnoxious people and it was not a big deal. We also had a bonus due to this:

The owner of the company got everyones attention and brought up the change in the way liquor was being offered. He said that he wanted everyone to be safe and remember the evening (laugh). He stated that he knew there was some grumbling due to the change and that he had a surprise for everyone: The company used the money that would have normally gone to an open bar and spent it on gifts cards for each of us. In the end, they were not being cheap, just responsible.

Sonic

Our company does this exact same routine. They give us two drink "tickets", and $50 in cash as a Christmas bonus.

Sonicflood
12-05-05, 11:19 AM
So what does the "no host" part mean, exactly? Is there still a bartender? Apparently yes, since you're paying for drinks. And when it's "open bar", there's also a bartender, right? So what the hell does "no host" mean? Where was the host to begin with? And where have they gone?

Somebody pays for the drinks.

Host or You

Host = not you
No Host = you

The host is still there either way.

Sonic

Numanoid
12-05-05, 12:50 PM
So why not just call it a "Cash Bar", like always?

Quatermass
12-05-05, 02:25 PM

I never heard the phrase "no host cocktails" before, but it's way too vague. To me it implies that the host will not provide any cocktails at all, free or otherwise. It seems like if there were a cash bar they would just say "cash bar." Then again, why wouldn't they say "BYOB" since everybody knows what that means. To be safe, you'd better stop at a liquor store and get hammered before the thing starts.

MRDVDMAN
12-05-05, 03:03 PM
Cash Bar Service - No Host
Hosted Bars - No Cash Sales

BradJ
12-05-05, 06:11 PM
Ironically enough, all of this confusion is making me want to drink...

MrKen
12-05-05, 09:34 PM
My company provides 3-4 drink tickets for our events. We must be a bunch of lushes.

Given that some people don't drink, or at least don't drink 3-4 drinks at one event, the real drunks still manage to get their hands on 6-10 drink tickets.

shoppingbear
12-05-05, 11:20 PM
My company provides 3-4 drink tickets for our events. We must be a bunch of lushes.

Given that some people don't drink, or at least don't drink 3-4 drinks at one event, the real drunks still manage to get their hands on 6-10 drink tickets.rotfl :lol: That's awesome, I can just imagine it:

"Hey there, uhhh, Fred isn't it? Say, Fred, you gonna use all of those? 'Cause I'll do your extra TPS report next week, if you'll just share your extra drink tickets..."

:lol: