Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

INXS - Switch (New Album / JD Fortune)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Anybody pick this up? I got it, and it's pretty decent. He's no Michael Hutchence, but he works.

I noticed that the credits for Pretty Vegas read: Music by Andrew Farriss/Lyrics by J.D. Fortune, Marty Casey, and Jordis Unga

Under the other credits:
Featured Vocals: Suzie McNeil
Background Vocals: Suzie McNeil...
Old 12-02-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I predict a disaster of Paul Rodgers proportions.
Old 12-02-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-02-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Ok, Ok, it's no "Kick", but it's better than I thought it would be. (And I bought it with that attitude? )
Old 12-02-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
Now now...you don't want to beat any dead horses and provoke anyone's ire.
Old 12-02-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'll stay in 1987 thank you.
Old 12-02-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
It's out already?

Isn't that kind of a quick turnaround? It's only been a couple of months since the show ended, hasn't it?

Sort of lends credence to the idea that J.D. was a ringer and selected to be the new singer before the show even aired.
Old 12-02-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i'll stay in 1987 thank you.
I'm with ya
Old 12-02-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
it's actually not bad at all. and since i watched the entire season of the show, i felt obligated to buy it. and 8 bucks at media play wasn't a bad price.

so not amazing, but certainly not sucky.
Old 12-03-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
it's actually not bad at all. and since i watched the entire season of the show, i felt obligated to buy it. and 8 bucks at media play wasn't a bad price.

so not amazing, but certainly not sucky.
Thanks for posting something besides the usual slam that others are adding to this thread.

You can stream the songs on INXS.com
Old 12-03-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's *slightly* better than I expected in spots. JD sounds more like Michael on record than he did during the show. A couple of the songs are out and out rot. But I wouldn't turn off the radio if a few of the cuts were singles.
Old 12-04-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They could have done worse.
Old 12-04-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This album is pretty good. I'd even go as far as putting it in their Top five or six. It's good to see these guys back, the music they create has a distinctive sound to it that is absent in music we here today. Aside from Pretty Vegas, which is already a hit, the album has the potential to see at least one or two more hit singles. That's more than what INXS could have asked for prior to Rock Star which saw them touring with various singers performing their old hits.

The entire result of the reality show could now be seen as a success. They have sold-out most of the cities they are touring and Switch has a hit single with the album already getting ready to surpass their last effort in sales. Things get even better in Canada where Pretty Vegas is #1. This is FAR from a disaster. INXS is back and I love every minute of it. That is all.
Old 12-05-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, as a longtime INXS fan, I like the record. There's a lot of good songs on it - but - I just wish it sounded more like INXS.

Clearly, the band is wishing to broaden their horizons a bit, especially given the new opportunities provied them with a new singer, and new exposure. But still, there's something of the old INXS sound that's missing - and NO - it isn't soley Michael Hutchence, as I'd say the same thing about Hutchenence's solo album, too.

If I had to nail it down, I guess I'd say that it could be more rocking in places, perhaps a bit rawer/dirtier, and a little less slick in others. A few songs just don't do anything for me - but the ones that do, are quite good.

Overall, a much better effort than I thought it would be - and I'm pleasently surprised to say so.
Old 12-05-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
This album is pretty good. I'd even go as far as putting it in their Top five or six. It's good to see these guys back, the music they create has a distinctive sound to it that is absent in music we here today. Aside from Pretty Vegas, which is already a hit, the album has the potential to see at least one or two more hit singles. That's more than what INXS could have asked for prior to Rock Star which saw them touring with various singers performing their old hits.

The entire result of the reality show could now be seen as a success. They have sold-out most of the cities they are touring and Switch has a hit single with the album already getting ready to surpass their last effort in sales. Things get even better in Canada where Pretty Vegas is #1. This is FAR from a disaster. INXS is back and I love every minute of it. That is all.
I wanted to address the last part of your statement - have you seen the venues they are playing? They are very small. Of course they sold out, they hold only a few thousand. Far cry from the days they would have sold out stadiums.

I loved the show, and I really like JD. I think they'll do well, but this marriage won't last.
Old 12-05-05, 09:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not too bad. Granted, "Pretty Vegas" is the only REALLY catchy song IMO. But that doesn't mean the rest are bad at all. JD is a nice fit for me because he sounds enough like MH for the music to sound like INXS, but not so much that it sounds like he is doing an impersonation. Suzie McNeill sounds really good recorded, and I wish they would have let her do her part at the end of "Us" they did on the show, the song sounded sort of lacking without it and it was the most memorable part for me.
Old 12-05-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I wanted to address the last part of your statement - have you seen the venues they are playing? They are very small. Of course they sold out, they hold only a few thousand. Far cry from the days they would have sold out stadiums.

I loved the show, and I really like JD. I think they'll do well, but this marriage won't last.
They sold out the Universal Amp. here in Los Angeles. That is not arena sized, but it's no "very small" place. Last time they played here (with out Michael Hutchenence) it was in a VERY small place. 1000 people vs the 6000 Universal holds.

It's probably the same size of place they would be playing if Michael Hutchenence was still with them.
Old 12-05-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The last time I saw them play live with Hutchence, during the Full Moon Dirty Hearts tour, it was in a pretty small venue. Probably only held 2000 to 3000 people at best.

The last time they toured, with Jon Stevens a few years ago, the venue they were playing at only held about 1000.
Old 12-05-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
rocketdog, i agree that it sounds too slick for much of the album. i've been listening to it quite a bit since i got it, and i'm liking it more, but it does feel over-produced.

and "Hot Girls" annoys me. Not cause it's a sucky song, but because of the Title/Chorus. just seems pretty juvenile. cause the tune/sound of the song is actually pretty good.

and i agree that the show was a success. they have a hit single, this album will sell well.

people posting here are mentioning other possible singles. just out of curiosity, which songs do you think could be released as singles?
Old 12-05-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well they aren't going to achieve the popularity of their glory days, INXS knew that, and everyone who watched the show knew that...I thought that much was obvious. But, the fact that they had sold-out theater and auditorium sized venues isn't something to give them any less credit for. As a few have mentioned by now, even with Hutchence they were playing smaller venues later in their career, smaller than the ones they will be playing come January. Naturally selling out these larger venues and adding more tour dates due to demand has to be seen as a success.

and "Hot Girls" annoys me. Not cause it's a sucky song, but because of the Title/Chorus. just seems pretty juvenile. cause the tune/sound of the song is actually pretty good.

and i agree that the show was a success. they have a hit single, this album will sell well.

people posting here are mentioning other possible singles. just out of curiosity, which songs do you think could be released as singles?
Yes, HOT GIRLS is a disappointment. Though the song grows on you a bit, you just can't help but dislike it due to the horrible lyrics. If the lyric was changed that song could have been one of their best, too bad that wasn't the case. This song is more suited for the teeny bopper crowd than anyone else. It's nowhere near as irritating as some of the popular music today like Gwen Stefani's HOLLABACK GIRL, but it's quite not what I was expecting from INXS.

With that said, I heard through the grapevine that DEVIL'S PARTY will probably be the next single, which is awesome because that song is quintessential INXS and totally rocks. AFTERGLOW is arguably the best song on the album and is just as good as anything U2 has put out in recent years, therefore that could very well be a single as well. Other tunes that have a shot IMO: NEVER LET YOU GO, HOT GIRLS (despite my dislike of it), & REMEMBER WHO'S YOUR MAN. God's Top 10 is a fantastic song, probably my favorite on the album, but it just isn't single material.
Old 12-05-05, 11:01 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm interested in listening to this, especially considering I watched "Rockstar INXS." I wish Marty would have won, though. I'll probably just download it, though.

On a related note, I recently found out that INXS are playing two dates in Toronto, next week. "Marty and the Lovehammers" are the opening act. I'd really like to go, but both shows are sold out and tickets on Ebay, start at $400.
Old 12-06-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rocketdog, i agree that it sounds too slick for much of the album. i've been listening to it quite a bit since i got it, and i'm liking it more, but it does feel over-produced.

"Hot Girls" is one of my least favorite, too. For the same reasons you mention.

I listened to the album a couple of more times today, and have to admit it's growing on me even more. Even some of the songs I didn't care for initially, I'm starting to warm to. As far as what I like, or think is single worthy, I'd have to say...

"Devil's Party" - even though the song name is too similar to "Devil Inside" (maybe they should have called it "On The Other Side") - it's a great song to kick off the album, and I'd agree - quintessential INXS.

"Afterglow" - is another favorite. Good majestic ballad.

"Perfect Strangers" - also sounds very hit-worthy.

"Hungry" - which even though it was written soley by Andrew Farris, oddly doesn't sound very much like INXS (aside from some keyboards in the pre-chorus parts) - but is still a fantastic song. (Actually, it kind of reminds me of old Charlie Sexton - and not that that's a bad thing).

Still wish there were more guitars to be heard on this album - especially considering that they have 3 guitarists in the band (4, if you count that JD can play, too) - but they seem pretty buried in the mix for the most part. But overall, my hat's off to the boys. This could have been a disaster of an album, and I'm very glad it's nowhere near being that at all.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-06-05 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just finished listening to it. Really only like Pretty Vegas. The rest was pretty bleh. Definitely not shelling out the $300 it would take to see them here.

Well hopefully JD's next project won't be as lackluster as this one.

Don't worry about Marty - Lovehammers will be just fine. I actually believe that Marty was relieved he did not win.
Old 12-06-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought tix to see them at Universal Amp here in Los Angeles, mainly because Marty is on the bill too.

I think Afterglow (Co/Written by Desmond Child) is the best song on the album...
Old 12-06-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished listening to it. Really only like Pretty Vegas. The rest was pretty bleh. Definitely not shelling out the $300 it would take to see them here.

Well hopefully JD's next project won't be as lackluster as this one.

Don't worry about Marty - Lovehammers will be just fine. I actually believe that Marty was relieved he did not win.
Might have to wait a while for JD's next project. Gathering from what I have read and seen in recent interviews, these guys seem too happy with each other.

Marty may be relieved he didn't win, but he should be thanking INXS a great deal for this oppurtunity. I'm relieved he didn't win either, he would have been horrible leading INXS. He's more suited for a band like 3 Doors Down. I've never heard his band before, I might have to d/l some of their material.

Last edited by HE Pennypacker; 12-06-05 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.