Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time Discussion Thread

Discuss.

So far have gotten to Yoshi's Island. I think this game so far is very well done. They seem to have incorported both screens into the process very well.

Opinions???
Old 12-01-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent game
Old 12-14-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On sale for $29.99 at Best Buy (though not advertised), coupled with the $10 off coupon in this thread, you can't beat the deal.

Also on sale at Circuit City for 29.99.
Old 12-14-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on the title, it sounds like Mario and Luigi reveal a secret about their relationship.
Old 12-14-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gromit
Based on the title, it sounds like Mario and Luigi reveal a secret about their relationship.
Nintendo continues to target the more "adult" and "mature" gamer without having to go to gratuitous violence and scantly clad women. Further, it is evidence of their commitment to expand the market beyond its traditional base.
Old 12-14-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This game is awesome! I've been playing my friends copy just to get a feel for it. There are so many DS games I've bought recently that I decided to save this one for Christmas. The commercial is kind of funny.
Old 12-15-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I've only played the copy I got for a little bit. I'm hoping to put some more time into it soon. I liked what I played so far, I've never played the one for GBA. Love all the Luigi jokes.
Old 12-15-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
That they travel through time together?
Old 12-27-05, 10:47 PM
Retired

I've put 3 1/2 hours in, and I'm loving it. Even better than the first, with having all 4 characters to control.
Old 12-28-05, 11:33 PM
Retired

Still loving the game, 6 1/2 or so hours in just got through the part with the Yoshi's.

Only nitpick I can even think of is the boss battles are too drawn out. They're not hard at all, just take 10-15 minutes to figure out and finish.

It's a little dissapointing that this game is generating no discussion here, especially since it seemed like a lot of people here got it for x-mas.

But then again games are rarely discussed here, more industry crap and deals.
Old 12-28-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to get it eventually, but I just haven't got around to it yet.
Old 12-29-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be discussing it once I get to play it.. the girlfriend has only gotten one weekend at my place this month. I'll probably get a chance to play it a little this weekend and if not this one then definitely next. I know, I know.. get my own DS. Trust me.. when Final Fantasy III and/or Tales of Tempest come out, I won't have a choice.
Old 12-29-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received this for Christmas, along with some other games, so I haven't had a chance to dig in yet. I should soon though. I want to try and finish Fire Emblem on the GameCube before digging into another game.
Old 12-30-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got this game for XMas but I haven't even opened it yet. I got so many games for XMas I don't even know where to start.
Old 12-30-05, 01:50 AM

I got a DS with this game and mario kart,advance wars, and meteos for the holidays. the only game Ive opened was mario kart and it ended up taking up all my time especially with online play its very addicting. I cant wait to play this game considering its one of the reasons I asked for the system. Im a huge fan of mario Rpg for snes and paper mario for n64 and the first mario and luigi game for GBA was one of my favorites for that system. for some reason I can only give my attention to one game at a time even though I wish I could start playing it right now, but if I do I know it wont be as enjoyable becasue ill be thinking about finishing mario kart 150cc. once I get somewhat tired of mario kart ill be playing this game next.
Old 12-30-05, 03:11 PM
fab

I finished the game in just under 18 hours. It's a great game, but not quite as fun as Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA. It feels more linear than the GBA version even though I don't really think it is. There seems to be less humor than the GBA game too. It does not take advantage of the touch-screen at all (except for one teeny-tiny part) which is pretty disappointing. It also seemed extremely easy to me; I always had plenty of items and money.

--
fab
Old 01-15-06, 12:59 AM
Retired

Finished this tonight. A little over 20 hours as the last boss took me over 2 hours! No dying and restarting, just 2 hours to figure it out and get through it. Running out of cannonballers hurt as it would have been useful during one part.

I never figured out what to do with all those damn beans I was digging up the whole game. Guess I'll check gamefaqs for that one.
Old 01-27-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been playing this for the last week or so. Just got to Whomp's Volcano and I'm really enjoying it. It seems easier than the previous installments. I don't remember if M&L:SS used Badge Points like the Paper Mario games or just a single badge, but I kinda like having one at a time. Is it just me or are the babies always ahead in experience because they get into many more fights without the others as the adults do?

Josh, did you find the answer to your beans question? If not, here's what I found. In the NW corner of the 1st floor of the present castle, there's a spinner you use the Bros. Ball on which grants you access to the basement. When you get down there you see a hooded figure walking away. Following him, you see him enter a grated pipe. Send the litte bros in after him and through the pipes you eventually get to his shop. Prepare for FURY!

Last edited by pinata242; 01-27-06 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to play this (and superstar saga as well), when I get a DS soon. How similar are they to Paper Mario 2 on the 'Cube (which I loved)

I agree about Nintendo targeting adults BTW, I love how Paper Mario: TTYD looks like its for kids but its' stuffed with in-jokes and parodies and is so funny
Old 01-27-06, 10:40 AM
Retired

Pretty similar to Paper Mario 2 in gameplay mechanics and same type of plot line (though a little more kiddy and less in jokes in PiT, more in SS).

The puzzles aren't quit as clever as in Paper Mario 2 as you had a party with characters with a bunch of different moves, so there were more options. In these games Mario and Luigi (and the babies in this one) just have a couple of moves they can do outside of battle, so the puzzles are pretty simple.

But if you're a fan of the paper mario games, I can't see anyway you'd not like these.
Old 01-29-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheers. Is Superstar Saga still available BTW?