Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blake's 7: Before I get region Free

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blake's 7: Before I get region Free

Before I spend the money for a region free player (just to watch Blake's 7) I wanted to know of Season 1 is the only season out or planned so far? I hate to get the region free player and pick up Season 1 and have to wait years for season 2, etc. I looked on Ebay but could not find anything but season 1. With all the legal problems I hear about the rigths to this show I am worried that all seasons may not get released or if they do they will take years.
I have already given up on a US/Region 1 release.

Also is there a US based website for non-region 1 releases? I would rither cut down on shipping cost if I can get it for a US dealer.

thanks
Old 12-01-05, 11:31 AM

i would ask the company issuing it, or the BBC if its not them. they will know.
Old 12-01-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first 3 series are available, and the 4th one is coming March 13. eBay probably isn't the best place to get this information... I'd suggest using www.amazon.co.uk (you can use your existing U.S. Amazon account/password, they remove the VAT tax at checkout, and shipping is very reasonable).
Old 12-01-05, 12:03 PM

good point, didnt think to check if more than series 1 was out in the UK, expected )rac would have done that. by the way, play.com is a good source of info for UK releases because theyre a little more on top of their database because they dont cover quite so large a range of products as amazon.co.uk ...
Old 12-01-05, 01:19 PM

You can get the first three seasons in the UK, and the fourth is due out next Spring.

Don't forget, if you order it from Amazon UK and you're in the US, they will take off the VAT (the European sales tax), which is 17.5% of the price. So this will compensate for the international shipping charge.

There are a LOT of season one boxsets for sale because the first pressing of it had faults on the discs, so there are many more of them around after a re-release, going cheap.

If you get the set from Amazon you should get one of the re-release, error free sets of season one.
Old 12-01-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you only want to watch it again and not actually own it, Nicheflix has the first three seasons available for rental.
Old 12-02-05, 08:56 AM

Before I spend the money for a region free player (just to watch Blake's 7)
Region-free players aren't expensive. You can get a nice-quality Philips one for less than $70 at any good discount store and enter a simple remote-control sequence to render it region-free.

If you think even that is too expensive, have you checked the various DVD hack forums online to check out your current player? It might be region free and you just don't know it. Many players sold in the US can be rendered region-free with a remote code or by downloading new firmware. There's only a few brands that are hard to get region-free (Sony and Panasonic are the main ones I recall, maybe JVC, too) out of the box.

I wanted to know of Season 1 is the only season out or planned so far? I hate to get the region free player and pick up Season 1 and have to wait years for season 2, etc. I looked on Ebay but could not find anything but season 1. With all the legal problems I hear about the rigths to this show I am worried that all seasons may not get released or if they do they will take years.
As others have already said, the first three are out already, and forget eBay for buying them. You do not want to risk getting one of the "bad" series 1 sets and having no way to get an exchange. Best to use Amazon UK, Benson's World or any other UK dealer who ships to the US, as you're most likely to get the fixed Series 1, and if you ever get stuck with a bad one, you can at least send it back for replacement.

I have already given up on a US/Region 1 release.
I would tend to agree as the BBC aren't likely to have much interest in releasing it themselves (for the VHS, they farmed out the rights to small Canadian label BFS). If they did, they'd just port over the UK sets.

Also is there a US based website for non-region 1 releases? I would rither cut down on shipping cost if I can get it for a US dealer.
There might be, but you'll probably save more money just by using the online UK dealers (particularly Amazon). The US dealers most likely buy their stuff from the same places and will then be adding an upcharge to make a little money themselves. International shipping from Amazon really isn't that bad, anyway, especially with the VAT discount, and shipping at other places is reasonable (GBP 1.70 per title at Benson's World, I think).