Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top 10 Ultra-Violent Games of 2005

Violence Under the Tree:
Family Media Guide Identifies
Top 10 Ultra-Violent Video Games of 2005

At the start of this year's holiday shopping frenzy, parents should be prepared to check their kids' gift lists very carefully. Because this year, some of the most ultra-violent video games ever created are being made available.
Family Media Guide has prepared a list of the Top 10 Most Violent Video Games released so far this year. Utilizing a proprietary audit process, the company's trained video game analysts capture and document instances of profanity, sex, violence, and substance abuse using a database-driven technology employing approximately 4000 rules and algorithms governing millions of potential rule combinations. This data is then analyzed to generate an objective rating, superior to the existing ESRB (Electronic Software Ratings Board) industry association-based review approach which assigns ratings based upon the subjective opinions of three individuals who do not even play the game.

Family Media Guide provided the crucial media content analysis which will be used by the National Institute on Media and the Family (NIMF) 10 th annual Video Game Report Card to be released next week.

Here is the list, with the games ranked in no particular order:

2005's TOP 10 ULTRA-VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

- Resident Evil 4 – Player is a Special Forces agent sent to recover the President's kidnapped daughter. During the first minutes of play, it's possible to find the corpse of a woman pinned up on a wall — by a pitchfork through her face.

- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas – Player is a young man working with gangs to gain respect. His mission includes murder, theft, and destruction on every imaginable level. Player recovers his health by visiting prostitutes then recovers funds by beating them to death and taking their money. Player can wreak as much havoc as he likes for no reason without progressing through the game's storyline.

- God of War – Player becomes a ruthless warrior, seeking revenge against the gods who tricked him into murdering his own family. Prisoners are burned alive and player can use “finishing moves” to kill opponents – like tearing a victim in half.

- Narc – Player can choose between two narcotics agents attempting to take a dangerous drug off the streets and shut down the KRAK cartel while being subject to temptations including drugs and money. To enhance abilities, player takes drugs including pot, Quaaludes, ecstasy, LSD and “Liquid Soul” – which provides the ability to kick enemies' heads off.

- Killer 7 - Player takes control of seven assassins who must combine skills to defeat a band of suicidal, monstrous terrorists. The game eventually escalates into a global conflict between the U.S. and Japan. Player collects the blood of fallen victims to heal himself and must slit own wrists to spray blood to find hidden passages.

- The Warriors – Based on a 70's action flick that set new standards for “artistic violence,” a street gang battles its way across NYC in an attempt to reach its home turf. Player issues several commands to his gang, including "mayhem," which causes the gang to smash everything in sight.

- 50 Cent: Bulletproof – Game is loosely based on the gangster lifestyle of rapper Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson. Player engages in gangster shootouts and loots the bodies of victims to buy new 50 Cent recordings and music videos.

- Crime Life: Gang Wars – Player is the leader of a ruthless street gang, spending time fighting, recruiting new gangsters, fighting, looting, and of course, more fighting. Player can roam the streets and fight or kill anyone in sight for no apparent reason.

- Condemned: Criminal Origins - Player is an FBI serial killer hunter in one of the first titles for the Xbox 360. Game emphasizes the use of melee weapons over firearms, allowing players to use virtually any part of their environment as a weapon. The next generation graphics provide a new level of detail to various injuries, especially “finishing moves.

- True Crime: New York City - Player is a NYC cop looking for information regarding the mysterious death of a friend. Player can plant evidence on civilians and shake them down to earn extra money.
linky

I know I have my Xmas shopping list now.
Old 11-30-05, 07:03 AM
Retired

As I expected, I haven't played a single one of them, and probably never will with the exception of possibly RE4.
Old 11-30-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Are parents that fucking stupid? You need to know that a game with the title "God of War" or "Bulletproof" or "Killer 7" or "Crime Life: Gang Wars" is violent?
Old 11-30-05, 08:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Where's Civilization 4. You can NUKE COUNTRIES in that game. By all rights, it should be #1.
Old 11-30-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
I'm surprised Mortal Kombat:SM didn't make that list. Not too realistic, but some of the fatalities are very violent.
Old 11-30-05, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that blurb for Condemned condemning the violence or praising the next-gen graphics and immersive environments??
Old 11-30-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
As I expected, I haven't played a single one of them, and probably never will with the exception of possibly RE4.
You should really play God of War. I know it's not on a nintendo system but it is really a great if not the greatest PS2 game.
Old 11-30-05, 10:23 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Mopower
You should really play God of War. I know it's not on a nintendo system but it is really a great if not the greatest PS2 game.
I have a PS2 and X-box, I by no means limit myself to Nintendo platforms.

I just haven't bothered with it as I generally don't care for action games in the devil may cry mold, and as good as the reviews were for God of War, it seemed to fit that bill.
Old 11-30-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait a second...where are the FPS's? No Doom 3, No Quke 4, No FEAR, No Call of Duty 2, No Perfect Dark Zero even? Is it not longer in vogue to bemoan the way that FPS's are training our children to be violent killers? Do kids no longer develop Navy SEAL-like aim and reflexes from playing Doom? I feel lost and confused.
Old 11-30-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blue Skies in Games Campaign Launched
Old 11-30-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Wait a second...where are the FPS's? No Doom 3, No Quke 4, No FEAR, No Call of Duty 2, No Perfect Dark Zero even? Is it not longer in vogue to bemoan the way that FPS's are training our children to be violent killers? Do kids no longer develop Navy SEAL-like aim and reflexes from playing Doom? I feel lost and confused.
Condemned!!
Old 11-30-05, 12:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
in RE 4's defense, you aren't so much killing actual people as you are merely shooting heads off the already possessed villagers who are out to kill you.
Old 11-30-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

- 50 Cent: Bulletproof – Game is loosely based on the gangster lifestyle of rapper Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson. Player engages in gangster shootouts and loots the bodies of victims to buy new 50 Cent recordings and music videos.
Something is seriously wrong with the industry if this game actually exists.
Old 11-30-05, 12:44 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It does, and is based off of the movie of the same name.
Old 11-30-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
50-Cent™ fans need something to do after reading his book and listening to his album while they wait for his movie to come out on DVD. It's a very popular brand these day.
Old 11-30-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
They said games, not murder simulators.
Old 11-30-05, 03:15 PM

Condemned!!
Most wouldn't consider it a first-person shooter, even though there is the occasional gun, so FPS isn't the right category.

Since you predominately hitting people with blunt objects, it could be a First-Person Whacker. But since everybody now reading this immediately has their mind dive right into the gutter, it'll have to settle for First-Person Adventure.
Old 11-30-05, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It does, and is based off of the movie of the same name.
In 50's defense, the movie is called Get Rich or Die Tryin' which is also the name of his albums. The game may be based on the movie, but not with the same name as the game.
Old 11-30-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

edit: lol! been a long day! I think I better go to bed

Last edited by Outlaw; 11-30-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm shocked you didn't see Killer 7 on the list.
Old 11-30-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
I'm shocked Killer 7 isn't on the list. Blood is spurting everywhere, heck, you even use it to upgrade your weapons, and one character uses it as "rain". Maybe they didn't hear about it.
?

I'm surprised stuff like Destroy all Humans and it's anal probe isn't there. Or Katamari Damacy... the poor farm animals and brick humans!
Old 11-30-05, 08:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

To enhance abilities, player takes drugs including pot, Quaaludes, ecstasy, LSD and “Liquid Soul” – which provides the ability to kick enemies' heads off.
"Liquid Soul's a hell of a drug."
Old 12-01-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at my g/f's work they have this thing where they choose a random foster kid and you pick some ornament off a tree and it lists the gift they want. hers was GTA San adreas. at first i was like why is this kid asking for a $50 present, but i got it for $24 at wal-mart. it says he's 17. Do u think it's inappropriate if we give it to him?
Old 12-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
Do u think it's inappropriate if we give it to him?
Yes because 17 year olds don't need charity gifts. They can get a job.
Old 12-02-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
This list is indeed stupid, but what I find most stupid is including GTA: SA. That was a 2004 game. Why not include Halo 2 as it came out a few weeks later? I guess they felt that no "violent" list should be made without having a GTA game on there and that they were too uninformed to realize there was indeed a new, violent GTA game for the PSP this year.

Personally, I don't have a problem with violent video games if they're marketed and enforced properly, just as violent films are. The one thing I found most offensive this year was the demo for the undeniably brilliant Call Of Duty 2 demo running on Xbox 360s in WalMarts, Targets and Best Buys across the country. Somehow this game is rated T, which I find ridiculous since it's an extremely violent and realistic game involving shooting other people with guns (I don't care that blood doesn't spill; that's a silly, arbitrary criteria for ratings). The fact that any young kid can go to a kiosk and start firing away on this game while other even younger ones can watch is just wrong. Yet do we even hear word one about this? Nope. Somebody dropped the ball with that demo, IMO

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.