Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2-Disk SE Pretty Much Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2-Disk SE Pretty Much Confirmed

During the Liman/Kinberg commentary track (one of three on the disk, but I haven't listened to the others), Liman says they'll be putting some storyboard sequences on the second disk.

They also discuss a ton of things like deleted/extended scenes and animatics that don't appear in the bonus features, and mention that they wanted to make some scenes longer but didn't want to risk the PG-13 rating they had already received.

One thing they mention that I hope finds it's way to the next version is takes from Vince Vaughn and Angelina Jolie in the diner where they insult eachother -- Vaughn says there is something creepy about her, while Jolie says she finds him bizarre -- and the crew found it too ambigious to tell whether the ad libs were still in character or not. Liman's commentaries are fun: he doesn't shy away from speaking his mind on which actors were difficult and when, and if he records another commentary for the 2-disk version it would be a shame to lose this one.

The other commentaries might have even more tidbits about what was left out, but basically if you were on the fence about whether to wait for a SE or not, I'd say it's 95% a certainty.

Last edited by Geist; 11-29-05 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't have any intention of buying this movie this week a) because it got so-so reviews but also b) it's pretty much a given there'd be a 2-disc later.
Old 11-29-05, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the info. This isn't the kind of movie I would want to double dip on. So i guess I can hold out for the 2disc or if it doesn't come.....there's always the $5.50 bin
Old 11-29-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SE's producer, David Prior, confirmed earlier this month on HTF that it is coming, but he also noted that it's "nowhere near finished and won't be for some time."

DJ
Old 11-29-05, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by djtoell
The SE's producer, David Prior, confirmed earlier this month on HTF that it is coming, but he also noted that it's "nowhere near finished and won't be for some time."

DJ

Hm:

David Prior: Hard to say for sure at this point. The commentaries will not, since it will be a different cut of the film. New commentaries will be recorded with this new cut.
Just what I figured. That might make it worth picking up down the road at some point, if the cuts and extras are different.

You'd think some retailers would sell both together at a discount during the SE's release week for stuff like this or, say, DONNIE DARKO. Or even better, if the studios would put out 3-disk sets that include the original versions as well.
Old 11-29-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The cuts and extras being different means I'm picking up both versions. I read Prior's post back when he posted it at HTF, so I've safely preordered the 1-disc at Amazon for 15 bucks.
Old 11-29-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $13.99 at circuit city, I just couldn't pass this one up even knowing a double dip is pretty much a certainty.
Old 11-29-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so was it a false rumor then about the additional love scene(s) that were shot??
Old 11-29-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Fine by me, i'll gladly own both versions.
Old 11-29-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I picked it up now at Wal-Mart. $17 for a two pack with Life or Something Like It. Comes out to about $8.50 a movie.
Old 11-29-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I picked it up because it has the dts, and the next release probably wont have it as they seem to like to leave that off of the double dips. Plus, what is on this disc is good enough for me and not a bad deal at 13.99.
Old 11-29-05, 06:41 PM
Cool New Member

Did'nt we all go thru this before with Fox and Day After Tomorrow, I Robot and Man on Fire?

We all know its coming

(ohh yeah and predator vs alien... and elektra what else......)
Old 11-29-05, 06:57 PM

This movie is not worthy i think, skip it!
Old 11-29-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go figure, I may double-dip on this in the future.
Old 11-29-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hoop
This movie is not worthy i think, skip it!
Says you. I thought this movie was worth at least $13.99. Good action packed fun.

= J
Old 11-29-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the current release cheap, and, if the extras seem worthy, I will likely double dip for the next one. I am also excited for the possibility of some more footage. The more the merrier. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.
Old 11-29-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have caved in and bought the 1-disc today.

But then again, I do love the workout the gunfight between John and Jane gives my DTS system.
Old 11-29-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie rocked,and I don't have the buy it! My little brother let it slip that hes getting it for me. I will get a double dip,as the movie was one of my favorites of the year.