Anyone buy their kids a V-Smile?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 01:14 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone buy their kids a V-Smile?

V-Smile
What do you think of it? Do your kids play it and like it?

Why doesn't it come with a power adaptor? That's an extra $10, either that or buy a butt load of batteries to run it.
Old 11-29-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still shocked someone thought that "V-Smile" would be a great name for a product aimed at kids.
Old 11-29-05, 01:30 PM

We got one for our son's bday last year (he was 3) and he loves it. The software lineup has been slim, but we noted some new titles were out this past weekend. Our youngest son has been using it as well. All in all, a good product for the money. Never had any problems with it, simple to set up and use...

Hope this helps

C
Old 11-29-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my 4 year old has one. He likes it a lot. The graphics are decent, but they do look kind of fuzzy when connects it to a big screen TV, though. Looks fine when we put it on a 27 inch TV. The only thing is that he sometimes has trouble with the joystick when it comes to doing very precise things like moving your character exactly in the right position so he can climb up a ladder. I find that I have to stay near him when he "plays" so I can help him out in those situations (as opposed to his Leap Pad or computer learning games where he is very good with the mouse and he never needs my help). He is only 4, so a 5 or 6 year old may find it much easier to do.

At first it was weird, I was asking myself "am I teaching him school stuff here, or teaching him how to play video games?" Some of the games are a little too "arcady" in my opinion (like the Winnie the Pooh) but he does learn from playing them

We have a power adaptor, I was unaware it is sold seperately (my wife bought it), but I couldn't imagine running it on batteries.

I would say overall he doesn't use it as much as the Leap Pad or the computer games, but he does use it. To be honest, sometimes he asks to play and I suggest he does one of the other two instead because, as I said, he is much more self-sufficient doing the other two.
Old 11-29-05, 04:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey The D
I'm still shocked someone thought that "V-Smile" would be a great name for a product aimed at kids.
I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title!
Old 11-30-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my sons (4 & 5) both play it. Not as often as they play my Xbox, but they do use it from time to time. Their favorite game is the Spiderman and Friends one, but they also get a lot of play from the Mickey Mouse game.
Old 11-30-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My son got one last Christmas. He was 5 at the time. He played it for a while, maybe a month, but went back to the Leapster handheld. Fast Forward to now with his choices being V Smile, Leapster, GBA, Dreamcast, PSP & DS...he plays more Powerstone 2 on Dreamcast than anything else
Old 11-30-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I just bought one for my daughter off of Ebay. She'll turn 3 the day after Xmas and loves the majority of the characters that are available on the "smartridges". She loves to watch me play games, so I figured she'd enjoy her own "console".
Old 11-30-05, 03:54 PM

i have been thinkin of purchasin this for my kids. (my girl is 4, and boy 18 months.) are the games more arcade-ish or lalong the lines of learning programs?
Old 12-01-05, 09:56 AM

It's cool and good for kids, but I'm not sure it's really educational.
Old 12-01-05, 10:30 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got these free at work. Where do you buy games for them? We only have one of the games and Id like to get some for my niece and nephew.
Old 12-01-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RudeBoie
It's cool and good for kids, but I'm not sure it's really educational.
I would agree with this statement. My son just played it to play it. He learned more with his parents , the Leapad products & pre school. If he had the V Smile before the other products...I don't think he would've gotten much out of it. The Leapad products are a better investment for your childs learning IMO.

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
We got these free at work. Where do you buy games for them? We only have one of the games and Id like to get some for my niece and nephew.
The Usual Suspects...Target, Wally World and I think TRU has them. Amazon carries them also.
Old 12-01-05, 12:14 PM

My kids have one and rarely touch it.
Old 12-02-05, 03:05 PM

i actually ran out and got one of these after reading this thread. i think my daughter will love it, but we'll know after christmas
Old 12-02-05, 03:48 PM
fab

My 3 and 5 year old like their V.Smile. The games are just about right for them. The games are SNES quality 2D side-scrolling type games for the most part; in fact it practically seems like every game is identical except for a different theme/skin. The joystick is easy for them to use. Like others have mentioned there is little education value.

--
fab