Fox Marquee Musicals ----> 2/21/06

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox Marquee Musicals ----> 2/21/06

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Fox Marquee Musicals in February

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 3 titles for 21st February 2006 as part of their new “Marquee Musicals” range. Priced at $19.98 SRP each are…

Daddy Long Legs - Fred Astaire becomes both the benefactor and suitor of Leslie Caron in this charming story of a playboy who falls under the spell of a beautiful French orphan. While traveling through France, Jervis Pendleton lll (Astaire) anonymously sponsors an 18-year-old girl named Julie (Caron), whom he sends to college in America. Two years later they finally meet face to face and start to fall in love. But complications arise and their happiness is threatened when Jervis embarks on a noble yet misguided attempt to do "the right thing" about their age difference. Featuring imaginative production numbers and a Johnny Mercer score that includes the 1955 Oscar® -nominated hit for Best Song "Something's Gotta Give", Daddy Long Legs is a song-filled blend of dance and fantasy for romantics of all ages.

Features include:
2.55:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, French & Spanish Mono
English & Spanish subtitles
Commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire McKenzie
Movietone News with Optional commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire McKenzie
Daddy Longlegs London Premiere
Photo Gallery
Original Theatrical Trailer

Pin-Up Girl - Betty Grable in the role that she made famous throughout World War II. A classic musical romance with Martha Raye and Joe E. Brown.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
English, French & Spanish Stereo
Theatrical Trailer
The Gang's All Here Trailer

Weekend in Havana - A salesgirl (Alice Faye) threatens to cause trouble when cruise ship runs aground and vacation is ruined. As compensation, she soon gets a free first class Havana holiday with the ship owner's future son-in-law (John Payne) as wall as some unexpected attention from a conniving gambler (Cesar Romero) and his girlfriend (Carmen Miranda).

Features include:
English, French & Spanish Stereo
Audio commentary
Theatrical Trailer
Marquee Musicals: Daddy Longlegs Trailer, & Pin-Up Girl Trailer
Artwork for each release here .
Old 11-28-05, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooh nice. Gotta love that cover art! But im not too sure about that SRP.
One of the main draws to the studio classics line for me was the $10 price tag. Looks like i will have to be more prudent with these.
Old 11-28-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AH, Pin-Up Girl. Watched it a few weeks ago on TCM: Cheesy as ever and still very silly fun.
Old 11-29-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Ooh nice. Gotta love that cover art! But im not too sure about that SRP.
One of the main draws to the studio classics line for me was the $10 price tag. Looks like i will have to be more prudent with these.

That $10 price tag you mention is based on an MSRP of $14.98. I would imagine that these $19.95 MSRP titles will be generally available in the $13-15 price range, and be part of some 2 for $20 promotions down the road.
Old 11-29-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

between this and the cinema classics line...looks like we may lose the studio classics series. I hope the film noir series stays strong.
Old 12-01-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from barrie maxwell

Fox finally comes up with some classic musicals with the February 21st release of Weekend in Havana (1941, with Alice Faye) and Pin-Up Girl (1944, with Betty Grable). They'll be joined by Daddy Long Legs (1955, with Fred Astaire). The latter, originally intended to be a Studio Classics release, will be presented in 2.55 anamorphic widescreen and will also feature a commentary by film historian Ken Barnes and Ava Astaire Mackenzie. These musicals will be part of a new Fox line called Marquee Musicals. The inclusion of a trailer for The Gang's All Here with one of these first releases suggests that that particular film may well be a future release in the new line.
Old 12-06-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-21-06, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received Daddy Long Legs and it has only 1 Lobby Card. I wanted to check with others if their dvd contained more than 1. The other Classics that came out last month had 4 or 5 Lobby cards I believe.
Old 02-22-06, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else buying these? Can you confirm the number of lobby cards in the envelope?
Old 02-24-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
There was only one lobby card in Weekend in Havana.
I didn't get the other two so I don't know if they had more or not.
Old 02-24-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up all three at Costco this evening for $8.99 each...and there was one "mini-lobby card" included with each disc.
Old 12-17-06, 08:41 PM
Banned

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

The Alice Faye Collection in February
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Alice Faye Collection for 20th February 2007. Her girl-next-door looks combined with a sultry singing voice made Alice Faye one of Hollywood’s biggest stars in the Golden Age of Cinema, and now Fox are releasing four films starring Alice Faye as part of their Marquee Musicals series of releases. Lillian Russell, That Night In Rio and The Gang’s All Here will be available individually ($19.98 SRP each) or as part of a 4-disc collection ($49.98 SRP) which boasts an exclusive fourth film On The Avenue.

Details on the individual titles follow, with specs for the box-set exclusive title On The Avenue to be confirmed...

Lillian Russell (1940) - It’s the gay 90’s and headliner Lillian Russell (Alice Faye) is unstoppable! Called, “The English Ballad Singer” her beauty, charm and unforgettable voice packed playhouses everywhere. Offstage, she was equally amazing with an extravagant lifestyle that included four husbands, a jewel-studded bicycle and a wardrobe filled with furs, jewels, gowns and diamond-decorated corsets. As Russell, Faye breathes life into this glamorous icon singing old standards such as, “After the Ball” and new songs including, “Blue Love Bird.” One of Faye’s best dramatic roles; she stars with actors Don Ameche, Henry Fonda and Edward Arnold.

Features include:
English Mono & Stereo
Spanish subtitles
Lillian Russell Biography
Restoration Comparison

That Night In Rio (1941) - Don Am eche and Alice Faye pair up as husband and wife, Baron and Baroness Duarte and head to South America in this musical classic. In order to avoid some financial problems, the Baron switches places with impersonator Larry Martin “Direto da Broadway” (also Ameche). When Martin’s affections for the Baroness are too kind and romantic, both the Baroness and Martin’s girlfriend Carmen (Carmen Miranda) realize their men are up to something. Filmed in brilliant Technicolor®, That Night in Rio is a delightful comedy filled with rousing musical numbers including Faye’s passionate and romantic, “They Met in Rio.”

Features include:
English Mono & Stereo
Spanish subtitles
Alice Faye – A Life Off Screen
Restoration Comparison

The Gang’s All Here (1944) - Ea die Allen (Alice Faye) is a chorus girl who dreams of becoming a star. While working at a New York nightclub, she meets Sergeant Andy Mason (James Ellison); they fall in love but he is shipped off to war. As Eadie becomes the headliner at the nightclub, Andy comes home a war hero. But complications arise when Eadie finds out Andy is unofficially engaged to another woman. It’s up to Eadie’s friend and nightclub co-star Dorita (Carmen Miranda) to set things straight. The Gang’s All Here is filled with leggy chorus dancers and lavish musical production numbers including Faye’s flashy neon finale “The Polka Dot Polka.”

Features include:
English Stereo
Film Historian Commentary
Carmen Miranda on the Ed Sullivan Show
Johnny Carson Bananas Musical Number
Chiquita Bananas Commercials 1-5
Theatrical Trailer
Pin-Up Girl Trailer
Still Gallery
cover arts here:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63543