Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KISS Franchise

Old 11-28-05, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KISS Franchise

Doc McGhee, who represents the rockers KISS, has been toying with the idea of recruiting an entire band to replace the original KISS and don the band’s famous makeup.

“KISS is more like Doritos or Pepsi, as far as a brand name is concerned,” he said. “They’re more characters than the individual person. I think they have a legitimate chance to carry the franchise.”
Old 11-28-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Well, they're half way there already. If anybody's been toying with this idea, it's Gene Simmons.

I thought this was the "plot" of the next season of that Rock Star reality show.
Old 11-28-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
This is an old story. They floated the idea much like a political leak to gauge public reaction.

It will never happen.

The current band is most likely the final line-up that the band will have. Eric Singer is a brilliant drummer - just ask Brian May and Alice Cooper (he's been in both of their bands, and both have stated that he is the best Rock drummer in the world), and Tommy Thayer is a rock solid guitar player. But that's as far as it can go. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have styles that are too unique to replace as frontmen and have it still be remotely called "KISS."

I'm sure Gene and Doc had dollar signs in their eyes when they floated this idea, but I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming negative public response that followed showed them that it just won't work.

Then again, Gene thought that The Elder would be a big hit, so....
Old 11-29-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have styles that are too unique to replace as frontmen and have it still be remotely called "KISS."
I absolutely agree. Oh and off topic, just because I find this really cool, my next door neighbor Kelly just became Gene Simmons and his family's personal chef and will be on Gene's new reality TV show on A&E.
Old 11-29-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Swurgen
Doc McGhee, who represents the rockers KISS, has been toying with the idea of recruiting an entire band to replace the original KISS and don the band’s famous makeup.
I thought this was already being done all over the world by tribute bands.

I hate to say this but I wish two of my top 5 all-time favorite bands would please see the writing on the wall and die! (Queen and Kiss)

In my mind, Queen died with Freddie Mercury (and should have quit after The Game) and Kiss died with the make-up (and should have quit after Creatures of the Night)...though I do have every album by both groups anyway.
Old 11-29-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I hate to say this but I wish two of my top 5 all-time favorite bands would please see the writing on the wall and die! (Queen and Kiss)
What you don't think it's a great idea to promote a tour as a "retirement tour" and then come back a couple of years later with two non-original members to try and keep milking a dead horse? Since the last tour did pretty bad box office it looks $immon$ and $tanley might be getting the message that it's time to hang it up. $immon$ is apparently hellbent on becoming a reality show star now, so the "Rock Star: KISS" idea doesn't sound so far fetched.
Old 11-29-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If it works for all the old R&B groups (the Temptations, the Four Tops), why not Kiss?
Old 11-29-05, 12:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsl76
I absolutely agree. Oh and off topic, just because I find this really cool, my next door neighbor Kelly just became Gene Simmons and his family's personal chef and will be on Gene's new reality TV show on A&E.
So this franchising has already started...
Old 11-29-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It will never happen.

The current band is most likely the final line-up that the band will have. Eric Singer is a brilliant drummer - just ask Brian May and Alice Cooper (he's been in both of their bands, and both have stated that he is the best Rock drummer in the world), and Tommy Thayer is a rock solid guitar player. But that's as far as it can go. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons have styles that are too unique to replace as frontmen and have it still be remotely called "KISS."
Bu they're not going to make new music. They're going to sell $100 concert tickets, play "Shout it Out Loud" and "Love Gun", set off a bazillion tons of pyrotechnics, and sell $50 t-shirts with drawings of the original band on them and some stupid slogan like "KISS rocks your cock!"
Old 11-29-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
But they're not going to make new music. They're going to sell $100 concert tickets, play "Shout it Out Loud" and "Love Gun", set off a bazillion tons of pyrotechnics, and sell $50 t-shirts with drawings of the original band on them and some stupid slogan like "KISS rocks your cock!"
I'd take a bet on that - KISS will do one more album of new material. Paul still has it in his blood to want to write and record new songs (that's why he's doing a new solo album). Gene will do another album because there's money to be made (recording albums is dirt cheap now if you do it yourself, and they certainly can).

The only reason that KISS won't tour again until 2007 is because Paul Stanley has had 2 fairly unsuccessful hip replacement surgeries, and isn't up to touring and doing a full KISS show yet.

The last KISS tour actually did fairly well, all things considered (averaging over 5,000 fans per show for a 30+ year old band isn't bad at all).

But they couldn't sell 1,000 tickets to an "official" KISS tribute band without Paul & Gene. Not even at $15 a ticket. They know it - and more importantly, so do concert promoters.

KISS sounded better in 2004 than they had since - 1994! When they had Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick in the band. Revenge was one of KISS' best albums, and this line-up has the ability to do an album that good.

Time will tell.
Old 11-29-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KISS sounded better in 2004 than they had since - 1994! When they had Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick in the band. Revenge was one of KISS' best albums, and this line-up has the ability to do an album that good.

Time will tell.
I just don't see them as an active, creative band anymore. Once they put the greasepaint back on, they became a nostalga act. Yes, it was incredibly, incredibly cool to see the original four on stage together, but the creative spark that they had was gone.

And I can definitely see them trying to sell a new group of guys as KISS. They would be officially annointed by Gene and Paul, and the shows would evolve into some kind of Ozzfest like festival. The second act would be the real headliner, just like Priest and Maiden were at the last couple of Ozzfests. And who knows when there will be a surprise appearance by one of the "legacy" members of the band. What could be more exciting than having Gene and Paul join the new guys for rousing renditions of Shout It Out Loud and Love Gun?
Old 11-29-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
I can definitely see them trying to sell a new group of guys as KISS.
They can try to sell it, but no-one's gonna buy it. Most importantly, the promoters (the ones who put up the money for the shows) will never go for it. Ever.
Old 11-30-05, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you say...."Menudo" ?

LOL.....
Old 11-30-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
My only wish is that Paul would get off his ass, write some great music, and tour on his own.

Paul has proven that he can do.
Old 11-30-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
My only wish is that Paul would get off his ass, write some great music, and tour on his own.

Paul has proven that he can do.
Kiss' Stanley Readies Second Solo Set
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1001477165
Old 11-30-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Flashback
Kiss' Stanley Readies Second Solo Set
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1001477165

Awesome!
Old 11-30-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So no date of release? Just...soon?

I will definitely pick it up. I even came to like Gene's recent solo album after several listens (though some songs are really weak).

Interesting that Kulick plays bass on the album. And Paul thinks his voice is stronger now than back in '78?
Old 12-01-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So no date of release? Just...soon?

I will definitely pick it up. I even came to like Gene's recent solo album after several listens (though some songs are really weak).

Interesting that Kulick plays bass on the album. And Paul thinks his voice is stronger now than back in '78?

Paul has always had a strong voice. Do you think it isn't?
Old 12-01-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read about this 2 or 3 months ago. I can't even say that it surprises me that Simmons thought this. The man will sell the Kiss name to anyone with a couple bucks, so who's really surprised about this? However, you can't say that Kiss sold out... Gene's always been up-front about the fact that the reasons for forming a band were to screw as many women as possible and to make a lot of money.
Old 12-01-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paul has always had a strong voice. Do you think it isn't?
Sorry. I guess i did not make myself clear. I meant that Paul's voice was definitely stronger back in the 70's compared to today. I saw this in concert just last year & while it is good for a man of his age...it is definitely not stronger than it was int he 70's or even the 80's. I was just commenting on him thinking it is stronger now than back then.
Old 12-01-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could've been a bad day. I got quite a few live shows, new & old, and I haven't noticed a difference.
Old 12-29-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had to post this quote by Gene Simmons that was in a recent issue of Blender:

Kiss manager Doc McGhee is considering reviving the group, with the old makeup being worn by a totally new linup. Band leader Gene Simmons is considering the idea. "When you look at original members, the Beatles are not original members," Simmons mused. "Ringo is not an original member."

The Beatles comparision does not even relate to what they are talking of doing. Gene, what's going on with you
Old 12-29-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome!
Paul was always my favorite KISS member.