Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen+ Paul Rodgers announce 2006 USA tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS SET 23-DATE TOUR FOR SPRING 2006

TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN !! QUEEN RETURN TO ROCK USA
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS SET 23-DATE TOUR FOR SPRING 2006

Some of rock’s greatest anthems are to be heard performed live again across America after more than 20 years, as rock legends Queen, now joined forces with Paul Rodgers, singer and songwriter of Bad Company/Free fame, announce they are to play a 23 date tour of the USA and Canada this coming Spring.

The tour announcement comes only a matter of weeks after Queen and Rodgers ignited sold out box office and strong media attention with two showcase performances at Meadowlands, NJ, and the Hollywood Bowl on a stop-off along the way to their recent sold out Japanese tour.

Away from the North America concert circuit for more than two decades – an enforced retirement brought on by the tragic loss of lead singer Freddie Mercury, Queen with Rodgers will launch into their coast-to-coast tour Friday March 3 in Miami, Fl at the American Airlines Arena.

Spending six weeks on US soil, the band will closely re-route it’s triumphant ’82 North American tour, bringing it back to the Queen-heartlands: Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Portland, among other US cities, plus Canadian stops in Toronto and Vancouver, where the tour winds up on April 13, 2006.

Tickets for these much-anticipated shows go on sale earliest December 3 with on sales across the country at different dates up until December 17.

Tickets can be purchased via Ticketmaster with a Special Presale starting November 30th at, http://www.queenonline.com, or http://www.paulrodgers.com

The announcement of this full-time return to touring in the USA by Queen members Brian May and Roger Taylor, with Rodgers now as vocalist, coincides with the 30th anniversary celebrations of the band’s history-making single “Bohemian Rhapsody” and its definitive 70’s album, “A Night At The Opera”.

“A Night At The Opera” was the album which provided Queen with its breakthrough in the USA, where it reached No.1 and remained on the charts for 52 weeks, giving them their first gold record in the States.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” continues to be rediscovered by new generations; the hit movie “Wayne’s World” made it a hit all over again in the 1992, and for the current generation, the song has become reality TV’s most often selected song among aspiring rock performers.

While Queen was already touring the USA regularly, having made their first appearance before a stateside audience on April 16th 1974 in Denver, performing their one and only tour support (for Mott The Hoople), this, the band’s fourth album, propelled them into the super-band status. From here until the final tour of 1982, Queen performed more often in the USA than any other country in the world; in the following two years, Queen would spend more than seven months alone playing American dates.

The early ‘80s saw Queen at their zenith in the USA; firstly the band’s “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” hit the No.1 spot, then “The Game” album spent five weeks at No.1 on the album chart between September-October 1980, and the single from it “Another One Bites The Dust” topped the singles chart in October, staying there for three weeks, even, unexpectedly, reaching No.2 on the R & B chart. It subsequently won the Favourite Single in the Rock/Pop category at the American Music Awards the following January. The band’s great rock anthems, “We Will Rock You” and “We Are The Champions” continue to echo across sports stadiums throughout America as the perennial favorites at any major season events.

As of this past June, according to the RIAA, Queen had sold more than 31.5 million albums in the United States, ranking them the 50th biggest selling artist in the States. The band’s catalogue continues to be much in demand; Queen is consistently among the Top 10 download artists at iTunes.

Foo Fighter’s Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins inducted Queen into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. Two years later, in June 2003, the band was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Paul Rodgers likewise has enjoyed a phenomenal career worldwide. Rodgers first exploded onto the music scene with mega hit “All Right Now,” co-written by Rodgers then in Free. The song became a #1 hit in 20 territories and in the ‘90s ASCAP recognized “All Right Now” for passing one million radio plays in the U.S. The members of Queen have long cited Free’s “Fire and Water” album as “one of our bibles when we were starting off.”

In 1973 Rodgers formed Bad Company with guitarist Mick Ralphs. They wrote, produced and recorded six multi-platinum albums in five years, including such global hits as “Feel Like Makin’ Love,” “Can’t Get Enough,” “Rock & Roll Fantasy,” Shooting Star” and “Bad Company.” Point of interest, Rodgers also played guitar and piano on several of these recordings. In the U.S., “10 From 6” still generates sales of 1,000,000 copies annually – 20 years after its release.

Since the ‘90s, as a solo artist, Paul has been honored with a Grammy nomination for his “Muddy Water Blues” album, and worked with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh and most recently, with Aretha Franklin, The Temptations and The Four Tops on the The Tops’ TV/DVD special “From the Heart” which celebrated their 50th anniversary.

The collaboration between Queen and Rodgers was cemented when May, Taylor and Rodgers performed in public together for the first time last fall, bringing the house to its feet at the first annual UK Music Hall of Fame Awards in London when on accepting their induction, Queen’s Brian May and Roger Taylor with Rodgers served up blistering versions of “We Will Rock You,” “We Are The Champions” and Rodgers’ “All Right Now.”

“There was a natural chemistry between us when we performed together in London. Brian and Roger brought a new dimension to my songs,” said Rodgers. “The idea took hold for us to do something together after that, and the momentum has taken on a life of its own.”

The momentum took the shape of a 32-date European tour this past spring which saw Queen + Paul Rodgers visit over a dozen countries in 12 weeks, culminating in huge outdoor summer concerts in Portugal, Germany, the Netherlands and a return to London’s Hyde Park playing to a crowd of over 65,000.

A major Japanese tour was then scheduled for early fall, and along the way, two stopover concerts in the USA. The Meadowlands, NJ, and LA’s Hollywood Bowl revived the same kind of audience worship scenes first experienced by Queen circa ‘80s; unquestionable validation that this many years on, and albeit with a different front man, the power of Queen’s music and musicianship remains undiminished in the passage of time.

“It was more than enough,” say May and Taylor, “to persuade us that it was the right time to return for a lengthier period of dates. And it is going to be great to be back in some of our favourite cities.”

For the Spring 2006 tour dates Brian May (guitar & vocals), Roger Taylor (drums & vocals) and Paul Rodgers (vocals, guitar & piano) are joined by Danny Miranda, ex Blue Oyster Cult on bass, Jamie Moses, former Brian May band member on second guitar, and Spike Edney, long-time Queen sideman on keyboards. (Queen bassist John Deacon has retired from touring.)

Anyone seeking a taster of what to expect from seeing Queen perform with Paul Rodgers can check out the two-CD live set Return of the Champions, and the companion piece DVD filmed during the European tour, both released by Hollywood Records.

Also shortly available, Hollywood Records commemorates the 30th anniversary of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which was first released in the USA December 7, 1975 with a special anniversary DVD and CD of the band’s classic album, A Night At The Opera.

Queen + Paul Rodgers North America 2006

Fri 3 March Miami, Fl, American Airlines Arena.
Sun 5 March Jacksonville, Fl, Veterans Coliseum.
Tues 7 March Duluth, GA, Gwinett Center.
Thurs 9 March Washington, DC, MCI Center.
Fri 10 March Worcester, MA, DCU Center.
Sun 12 March Uniondale, NY, Nassau Coliseum.
Tues 14 March Philadelphia, PA, Wachovia Spectrum.
Thurs 16 March Toronto, ON, Air Canada Centre.
Fri 17 March Buffalo, NY, HSBC Arena.
Mon 20 March Pittsburgh, PA, Mellon Arena.
Tues 21 March Cleveland, OH, Quicken Loans Arena.
Thurs 23 March Chicago, IL, Allstate Arena.
Fri 24 March Auburn Hills, MI, Palace at Auburn Hills.
Sun 26 March St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center.
Mon 27 March Milwaukee, WI, Bradley Center.
Fri 31 March Glendale, AZ, Glendale Arena.
Sat 1 April San Diego, CA, Cox Arena.
Mon 3 April Anaheim, CA, Arrowhead Pond.
Wed 5 April San Jose, CA, HP Pavilion.
Fri 7 April Las Vegas, NV, MGM Grand Garden. Mon 10 April Seattle, WA, Key Arena.
Tues 11 April Portland, OR, Rose Garden.
Thurs 13 April Vancouver, BC, Pacific Coliseum.

Tickets can be purchased via Ticketmaster via www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com

Pre-Sale Ticket Information
Queen + Paul Rodgers Queen + Paul Rodgers will be doing more North American dates this Spring! They are offering their Fan Club and Internet Community Members a Pre Sale as well as Special VIP Packages via the Queen + Paul Rodgers Ticket Page.

Link: https://tixx1.artistarena.com/queenpluspaulrodgers/

Pre sale info from artist arena:

Platinum Packages are $595 each and include the following:

-A Premium Ticket (Seat Location will be given at time of Purchase)
-An Exclusive, Double Live Import CD of Queen + Paul Rodgers in Europe
-An Exclusive Tour Jacket
-A Limited Edition Tour Poster
-A Live Return of the Champions DVD and Double Live Return of the Champions CD (Queen + Paul Rodgers in the UK)
-An Official Tour Program
-A Platinum Commemorative Laminate
-A 25% discount coupon for online store.

Gold Packages are $395 each and include the following:

-A Premium Ticket (Seat Location will be given at time of Purchase)
-An Exclusive, Single Live Import CD of Queen + Paul Rodgers in Europe
-A Limited Edition Tour Poster
-A Gold Commemerative Laminate
-A 10% discount coupon for online store.

All Platinum and Gold Package Purchasers will automatically be entered in a drawing to win a Brian May Guitar signed by Brian May, a Microphone singed by Paul Rodgers and a Roger Taylor Drum Head signed by Roger Taylor!

The following shows will be available for Presale starting at 1pm Local Time on Wednesday, November 30th:

3-31 Phoenix AZ
4-10 Seattle WA

The following shows will be available for Presale starting at 2pm Local Time on Wednesday, November 30th:

3-09 Washington DC
4-01 San Diego CA

The following shows will be available for Presale starting at 1pm Local Time on Thursday, December 1st:

3-27 Milwaukee WI
4-07 Las Vegas NV

The following shows will be available for Presale starting at 2pm Local Time on Thursday, December 1st:

3-23 Chicago IL
4-11 Portland OR

The following show will be available for Presale starting at 1pm Local Time on Friday, December 2nd:

3-21 Cleveland OH

Please do not call about shows that are not listed here. The remainder of the presale dates and times will be posted on Friday, December 3rd.
Old 11-28-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

looks like Tues 14 March Philadelphia, PA, Wachovia Spectrum for me....about a 2 hr drive and well worth it.i saw then at the meadowlands and although Freddie was well missed it was a great time and a great show-
Old 11-28-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i wonder how much tickets are gonna cost......well who cares, this will be amazing!
Old 11-28-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will they take food stamps....or is it just your first born.
Old 11-29-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I think the premium packages are a good idea...but hell would freeze over before I would pay money to see this blasphemy.
Old 11-29-05, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank God...no Texas dates.
Old 11-29-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to the Hollywood Bowl back in October and I'm going to the MGM Grand Garden on April 7th. WOO HOO!
Old 12-01-05, 05:54 PM

Bump.
Old 12-02-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought my Vegas presale tickets today. Near the front row (again) and for $20 less than what I paid the first go around.
Old 01-28-06, 02:46 PM

Queen+ Paul Rodgers are releasing a new live DVD but sadly it looks like a Japan only release though. It was recorded during their tour of that country late last year.

from www.brianmay.com

LIVE IN JAPAN 2005 DVD

Fantastic news !!!

"Super Live In Japan 2005" DVD will be released on 29 Mar 2006 from Toshiba EMI. Expected to be quite different to the Sheffield recording. The full product details are still to be confirmed but the basics are as follows:

Product page: hmv.co.jp

Queen + Paul Rodgers - Super Live In Japan
Genre: Rock & Pop
Format: DVD
Number of Discs: 1
Region Code: 2 (Japan)
Colour: Colour
Resolution: NTSC (Japan)
This version issued: 29 Mar 2006
Catalogue Number: TOBW3296
Label: toshiba EMI
Item sourced from: Japan Tracklisting

Disc 1. Concert of October 27 at Saitama Arena (tracklisting below)

"Super Live in Japan"

1- Reaching Out
2- Tie Your Mother Down
3- Fat Bottomed Girls
4- Another One Bites The Dust
5- Fire and Water
6- Crazy Little Thing Called Love
7- Say It’s Not True
8- ‘39
9- Love Of My Life
10- Teo Torriatte
11- Hammer To Fall
12- Feel Like Makin’ Love
13- Let There Be Drums
14- I’m In Love With My Car
15- Guitar Solo
16- Last Horizon
17- These Are The Days Of Our Lives
18- Radio Ga Ga
19- Can’t Get Enough
20- A Kind Of Magic
21- Wishing Well
22- I Want It All
23- Bohemian Rhapsody
24- I Was Born To Love You
25- The Show Must Go On
26- All Right Now
27- We Will Rock You
28- We Are The Champions
29- God Save The Queen

Disc 2. Bonus disc including unseen footage
Grrr! Why Japan only? Not everyone has a friggin region free player! I'd love to hear "Teo Torriatte" and "I Was Born to Love You"!

With the US tour starting in March and the gang rehearsing, both Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers are making their first PR campaign with radio and print media. Roger has been quoted as saying that they will be focusing on more of the 70s material and that there will be more Bad Company songs, less Free tracks.

I got my Chicago tix, can't wait!
Old 01-28-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Roger has been quoted as saying that they will be focusing on more of the 70s material
Well duh. All of their music pre-The Game is their best material. After that album, everything after that was severely hit or miss. If there's a God, they'll continue to keep out everything involved with Hot Space out of the tour.
Old 01-29-06, 06:56 AM

just watched the nj show last night,what a show-

cant wait till phillie.
Old 01-30-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Hmmm . . . I would have considered seeing this, but no dates in my area. Oh well.
Old 03-29-06, 02:34 PM

Well, went to see the Chicago show last Thursday and yes, it did indeed rock.

First, attendance was great. By my eyes, almost sold out.

The guys sounded nearly flawless, I didn't pick up on any flubbed lyrics or missed notes played.

I must admit I loved the taped Eminem intro (with Brian hitting a few notes) and it then kicked into "Reaching Out" & "Tie Your Mother Down." I didn't remember to bring something to write with to mark down the set list in order but I do remember what they played.

I'm not sure what to make of the new song, "Take Love" just yet. It wasn't bad but I think I'll need to hear a proper studio version of it to decide.

I absolutely LOVED "Dragon Attack", it was the highlight for me. The song was played in it's entirety (why didn't Queen do that back in the day?) "Under Pressure" also came off REALLY good.

I skipped out during Brian's guitar solo as I've always thought those were so self indulgent (spelling?) but came back for the mirror ball effect during "Last Horizon." (I thought it was cool on the "Return of the Champions" DVD so I wanted to see it in person.)

All in all it was a great experience as I got to do the things I've always wanted to do. Clap along to "Radio Ga Ga", belt out "We Will Rock You" (which, BTW, they start their encore with by playing back the stomp stomp clap bit from the album and THEN Roger picks up on the drums.)

'Twas glorious my friends. If you get the chance to see them, do yourself a favor and DO IT!
Old 03-29-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a great night of karaoke
Old 03-29-06, 03:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Lest we forget....