Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Master System (SMS) Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sega Master System (SMS) Appreciation Thread

Ok, as promised in another thread, I am starting a SMS appreciation thread. Everyone who owned a SMS (or for those who wanted one but just weren't cool enough to own one), please post your fond memories here.
Old 11-28-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for me:

"Best" game: Phantasy Star
Most fondly remembered game: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (loved when I got the motorcycle)
"Funnest" game: Wonderboy III
Most underrated game: Govellius
Most overrated game: After Burner
Game that I enjoyerd but noone heard of: Cloud Master
Most difficult game: Shinobi
Best Sports game: Walter Payton Football
Best accessory: 3d glasses
Game I played the most: Astro Warrior
Old 11-28-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I decided I wanted an SMS when all the "cool" kids had their NES. I frankly can't remember anything too remarkable about the system. I did play the hell out of Hang On and loved the novelty of that little snail maze game that came with the console. The only other unique game I remember was Trillion. Luckily I was able to get an NES later and the SMS was soon forgotten.
Old 11-28-05, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SMS was one of two systems I never owned (the other being a Saturn). However, I *did* have the Power Base Converter for the Genesis and played Phantasy Star religiously with it. I also had Alf, for some reason.
Old 11-28-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
The SMS was one of two systems I never owned (the other being a Saturn). However, I *did* have the Power Base Converter for the Genesis and played Phantasy Star religiously with it. I also had Alf, for some reason.
I had the Genesis converter too, but the only SMS game I played on it was some Zelda clone. What was that called? Warrior something or other?
Old 11-28-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I had the Genesis converter too, but the only SMS game I played on it was some Zelda clone. What was that called? Warrior something or other?
Golden Axe Warrior perhaps?

By the way, Golden Axe for the SMS also rocked, as did Double Dragon.

Anyone remember Safari Hunt (aka the SMS Duck Hunt)?
Old 11-28-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend had one. I had an NES. He was jealous. I do remember a platform game that we played a lot of, but not the name... he didn't have Phantasy Star, as I recall.
Old 11-28-05, 01:32 PM

I never knew anyone growing up who had one. It was always weird going into a Toys R Us back in the late 80s and they had a sizeable (like half as large as NES) section devoted to the SMS, yet you never saw anyone seriously shopping in that section. I would wander over there out of curiosity, and was a bit jealous that the SMS had "My Hero" which for whatever reason had been one of my favorite arcade games years earlier.

even the rich kid i knew didnt have one...and I remember when Genesis came out on the same day as his birthday party his slightly drunk dad went out and bought a *second* genesis because us kids were all over the Genesis and just waiting our turns.
Old 11-28-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
The only Nintendo product I've owned has been the Gameboy Advance (now Micro, as I got rid of the advance).

I always wanted the "other" consoles. I had an Odyssey 2 (loved the board/video games). When everyone else wanted an NES, I wanted a SMS.

Phantasy Star was my favorite game. I had the Alex Kid and Wonderboy games as well. Y's was another good RPG for the system. ah, and Fantasy Zone and Alien Syndrome were fun too!

I still have the flight/combat simulator game card somewhere. I kept it when I sold my SMS to get the Genesis and SMS converter, but that game wasn't compatible.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-28-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Alterered Beast was awesome
Old 11-28-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I owned this system, and loved every moment I had with it.

Fondest memories were marathons of Double Dragon on the weekends with my cousin who would come over and play. Also factor in Altered Beast, After Burner, Space Harrier, and Shinobi, which we also played a ton.
Old 11-28-05, 04:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

I used to go to the local wards and play this for hours. It was some sort of demo system that had a bunch of games.

Games I remember playing:

- Gangster Town: Some shooting game where you shoot gangsters and their ghosts go to heaven as angels, if you shoot the angels, they get killed and go to hell

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World

- Space Harrier

- Lord of the Sword

I really enjoyed this system. I never bought it because I had a NES but it was fun to play.
Old 11-28-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In some ways the SMS version of Y's is the best, I think it even looks a touch better than the turboCD version (maybe the colour palette?). Could never find this in the shop, so ended up hiring it on about 4 separate occasions from the local video store. Never did manage to complete it (save game was always wiped when we hired it again).

The SMS has the best version of Ultima IV, which was the first Ultima I played in fact. An excellent pc -> console conversion which actually provided a graphical and sound enhancement over the original (not too hard versus EGA graphics and pc speaker beeps I guess...).

Wonderboy 3 is another brilliant game, spent many many hours playing that. Loved the whole gameplay style, unlocking doors to new locations.
Old 11-28-05, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was one of the kids who never owned any Nintendo System. I owned a Sega Master System and pretty much stayed loyal to Sega products till I got to college.

I think I may have had about 40 or 50 Sega Master System games when all was said and done. Out of all of them, Zillion was by far my favorite. I bet I could play it today and still enjoy it.

Too bad I sold all of my games. I kinda miss them.

Right now, all I own is a PS2 and five games:

GTA San Andreas
NBA Live 2005
NBA Live 2006
NBA Street
Fight Night Round 2
Old 11-30-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The SMS game of the day is: Time Soldiers.

Discuss.
Old 11-30-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
The SMS game of the day is: Time Soldiers.

Discuss.
God, I played that every day after school for what feels like months. I couldn't get enough of it. As I recall, I liked it because it wasn't technically linear. I liked being able to decide when I did things. I forgot all about that.

Space Harrier was a staple.

I liked the Fantasy Zone games, particularly 2, I think.

Bomber Raid was a great 1941 clone.

I even liked the Rambo game.

Choplifter, though it wasn't an exlusive.

Posiedon Wars 3D.

Good times had by all. I always seemed to be on the outskirts with my consoles, thanks to my dad, I guess. SMS and Intellivision and C64 when everyone had NES, Atari, and IBMs.

Update: GALAXY FORCE! Shit, that game was perfect in my 11 year old mind. I even remember the local arcade having a big old, bad ass gyroscopic cockpit version of that as well.

Last edited by pinata242; 11-30-05 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
My friend had one. I had an NES. He was jealous. I do remember a platform game that we played a lot of, but not the name... he didn't have Phantasy Star, as I recall.
Wait... we didn't know each other as kids, did we?
I didn't have Phantasy Star either. I had $50 to spend on the last game I bought for it, and it came down to that or R-Type. I wanted both, but I chose R-Type.

Some of the games I had
Hang On

Safari Hunt - way better than Duck Hunt. Even my NES owning friends admitted that.

Choplifter, of course

World Grand Prix - Pole Position ripoff with the ability to create tracks

Thunder Blade - great game, but not close to the arcade version

Enduro Racer - horrible game, less like the arcade than any I've ever seen!

OutRun - Loved it, though it was a little too easy to finish

F16 Fighting Falcon - horribly complicated flight simulator that used both controllers

R-Type - I remember a friend saying this thing looked like spaghetti
Old 11-30-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another Master System owner right here! Who remembers that secret little snail maze game? Here are my top 10 favorite SMS games:

10. Ghostbusters
9. Rambo First Blood part 2
8. Outrun
7. Penguin Land
6. Space Harrier
5. Wonder Boy in Monster Land
4. Zillion
3. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
2. Fantasy Zone (Opa-Opa rocks)
1. Phantasy Star

My favorite Light Phaser game would have to be Shooting Gallery.
Old 11-30-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Another Master System owner right here! Who remembers that secret little snail maze game?
I do! I think to get in you turned it on without a cartridge and did up-down-left-right on the pad. up-down-left-right seemed to be a cheat for lots of games. maybe there were a lot of Catholic game developers.
Old 11-30-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Choplifter, though it wasn't an exlusive.
I think Sega's version of Choplifter was sort of an exclusive. It looked very close to their arcade version and played differently than the computer versions. The NES version was more like Broderbund's Choplifter on the computers. I don't remember for sure, but I think Sega made the levels a lot different and it looked a lot better.
Old 12-01-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Game of the Day: Govellius and the Valley of Doom.

Discuss.
Old 12-01-05, 11:22 AM

Cloud Master! I've been trying to think of that name for ages (though apparently it was too obvious to remember). I loved that game! And coincedentally the last game I had for it before I had to sell it.

My local non-chain used game store has a SMS and about 25 games. I think this thread will push me over the edge and make me pick it up.
Old 12-01-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Golvelius
Old 12-01-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by neiname
Golvelius
No, it was definally Golden Axe Warrior (unless Glvelius is the japanese name)

How were they able to copy zelda so closely and not get sued? Fun game, btw...
Old 12-01-05, 01:07 PM

Remember getting a refurbished SMS at Toy Liquidators way back when with Phantasy Star and played that game for HOURS. Also the Alex Kidd series with the kid mooning you. Fun stuff. Great system that was underappreciated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.