Alias has been cancelled by ABC -- Series Finale in May

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Alias has been cancelled by ABC -- Series Finale in May

As per zap2it.com:

Article Link

When listing the things they're thankful for on Thanksgiving, the cast and crew of "Alias" will probably skip "steady employment."
While it has been widely assumed that this season, the show's fifth, would be the ABC spy drama's last, the network made the official announcement on Wednesday that this May's finale will conclude the adventures of Sydney Bristow and friends.

"This news, and its timing, is a mixed-blessing," says Executive Producer Jeff Pinkner in a statement. "Though we're obviously very saddened to face the reality that 'Alias' is coming to an end, the lasting quality of every good story is determined by its conclusion -- this news gives us the freedom to end the series in the climactic way it deserves."

The original concept for "Alias" came to creator J.J. Abrams back when he was working on his college drama, "Felicity," for The WB. One year he brainstormed that wouldn't it "just rock" if the main character, a university student, was recruited by the CIA and then had to go off and save the world while keeping her college friends in the dark.
Even though he continued to call the premise "ludicrous," Abrams did think it had the potential to be a comic book or cartoon come to life on its own.

ABC agreed and the story of grad student/international Sydney Bristow -- whose life became even more complicated when the agency she worked for killed her fiance and she learned her father was also a secret agent -- was born.

Abrams and his team managed to rest the clock on the show a number of times, fearlessly scrapping storylines and setting the charcters' world on ear at the drop of a dime ... or for a coveted post-Super Bowl spot.

This season, with star Jennifer Garner slightly restrained from many physical stunts due to her real-life pregnancy, the show attempted to reinvent itself once again with the addition of Rachel Nichols and Balthazar Getty to the cast. And the network promises that the announcement of its demise is really more of an effort to give "Alias" the send-off it has earned.

"Right out of the box, 'Alias' attracted a cult following of fans that were completely invested in the show," says ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson. "'Alias' is not going to wind down as it comes to an end, it's going to rev up, and we're going to make it the event it deserves to be."
Old 11-23-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...not totally a surprise, but still kind of sad news...I'm loving this season so far, easily a step up from the last...hope they go out with a bang.

MATT
Old 11-23-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so much for the temporary move to wednesday helping out. however, it's good that they know now so they can get a proper ending. i hope they finally resolve ALL of the rambaldi stuff.
Old 11-23-05, 06:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Thankfully ABC sucked long enough for it to last this long.
Old 11-23-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a shame, but not a shock. Sadly, it's still better than a lot of stuff on TV these days, and as mentioned above, this season was a big improvement from last season. I'm glad they are letting the season end though, and not just pulling the plug ASAP like fox always does.
Old 11-23-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably the best move for a show that was a cult phenom at it's height. Here's hoping the close out the show on a high note.

Bring on "13 Going on 30 2: Electric Boogaloo!"
Old 11-23-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I figured this was coming, but was not prepared to hear about it so soon. At least this gives J.J. Abrams plenty of time to cleanly wrap everything up and (hopefully) not pull an X-Files.
Old 11-23-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Is there any way they can finish up with Marshall ending up on the LOST island?
Old 11-23-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Come on... a perfect show to fill the void... ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT... Come on ABC you can do it!
Old 11-23-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I continued to stick with this show even when the quality took a severe drop after Season 2. I was enjoying aspects of this season, but had already assumed this would be the last season. It's an appropriate time to close things out IMO.
Old 11-23-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't say this to be negative or antagonistic, but this is great news. Realistically, the show's never going to be great again, maybe not even good. Better to let it go out now while enough cast and writers are still around and enough fans are still paying attention instead of further running it into the ground over time. If we're lucky we'll get a great send-off.

das
Old 11-23-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, I think we should be thankful that they didn't cancel Alias at the end of season 4. Now THAT would have been sad.
Old 11-23-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Although I'm glad they're letting them conclude the story rather than just pulling the plug, I'm sad to see it go since this season has been shaping up nicely. I just hope we get a proper sendoff and if a thread must be left for some sort of followup, that it not be in a super obvious sort of way.
Old 11-23-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm also happy that they'll let it run through this season rather than just abruptly cancelling it. At least we can now hope for a proper wrapup at the end. Just for that, I think I'll watch the rest of season 4, and catch up with the current season.
Old 11-24-05, 12:53 AM
Suspended

Is there any way they can finish up with Marshall ending up on the LOST island?
that would kick ass

Great news, I basically passed on this season because Smallville is on at the same time, and I lost MAJOR interest last season, and shit got real boring with the sister zombie thing. I will still rent the DVD when it drops, just to finish it off, but I won't miss this show.

All I hope is that they do a "Cops" type episode like they did with X-Files. I know Cops is a Fox entity, but it would still be cool if they did something similiar. Or have a David Ducovney/Gillian Anderson appearence.

I would love to see more Sark though, guy kicks ass!
Old 11-24-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still say they should do a spin off with Jack, Sloane and Irina. Those 3 make Alias, not the foot-faced whore in the wig.

cfg
Old 11-24-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No more Rachel Nichols...
But they must give us another spork moment!

In other news, Threshold gets the axe as well: http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Board...jspa?annID=271
Old 11-24-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I hope JJ stays away.

Oh, and glad I didn't get into Threshold.
Old 11-24-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
In other news, Threshold gets the axe as well: http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Board...jspa?annID=271
makes me glad that i neve got into this show.
Old 11-24-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this sucks, sad news, since this season the show started getting really good. Very sad news.
Old 11-24-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's too bad, but not unexpected. That means 2 less shows next season for me (Alias and Arrested Development), which isn't necessarily since this season it has been like 8 shows. I really did think that for both these shows, it was the last season. Both struggled for audiences and to be fair both of the stations stuck with the shows longer than most (FOX should have done more though). It will be good that Alias know far enough in advance to really finish strong which it seemed to be heading for anyway. I really feel that the seasons started at their strongest with season 1, stayed very strong for season 2, was still good, but at its weakest for season 3, picked up in season 4 and was getting better with season 5. Alias, I will remember you fondly (when I look at my DVD shelf that is).
Old 11-24-05, 11:18 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Smart idea. As already stated, the show will never be what it once was.
Old 11-24-05, 12:52 PM

The thing is if it was canceled after season four, nobody would of thought season five would be great, if season six happened, who knows maybe that would be even better, you can never second guess a tv season, but I'm glad it's finishing with everyone dedicated to giving it a good send off.

5 years is usually long enough for most shows, some shows you just can never hungar more of though, like Angel which almost felt like another beginning in it's 5th season.
Old 11-24-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe this once great show has finally ended up like this. oh well!
Old 11-24-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a good time to end it while they are a bit ahead. Alias is never going to be what it was the first two seasons again.
I am hoping Irina comes back for the end and they all live happily ever after.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.