Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Exclusive King Kong Box $33.99

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Best Buy Exclusive King Kong Box $33.99

The Best Buy near me put out the King Kong box early and I bought one.
Best Buy is the only place you can get the 2 disc tin set of King King with Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. Other places have a box with the standard 2 disc set of King Kong (non tin) with the other films.
Tin comes with reproduction of souvenir program and 10 one-sheet postcards. Best Buy's regular selling price for this is $38. Through Wednesday it is $34 .
Box says Best Buy bonus 5 additional one sheet postcards not available anywhere else.
Old 11-21-05, 03:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Does this set come with a mail-in offer for the poster?
Old 11-21-05, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think they'll havea problem with me PMing DDD's price? I doubt they would consider their exclusive package.
Old 11-21-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
Think they'll havea problem with me PMing DDD's price? I doubt they would consider their exclusive package.
Best Buy does not price match online shops.
Old 11-21-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Best Buy's package is an exclusive. The tin box is available elsewhere, but only includes the two-disc "Kong" and the "souveneir" material. Or there's a Kong "Collection" which is just the three films, -but not in a tin box (I don't know if there's a slipcase for the three titles), -its available for about the same price as the tin. Best Buy's version sort of combines the two for a slightly higher price...
Old 11-21-05, 04:29 PM

Yeah, the question is whether the tin and added reproductions are worth about $8 or so. Barnes and Noble and ddd have the king kong collection (1933 original and 2 sequels) for under $26 (at B&N if you are a member it is $25.18, but they now charge tax in most states). but as noted above, that is with standard packaging, probably two double slim amrays. i'm a sucker for these exclusives, so i'll probably just pony up like an idiot. . .
Old 11-21-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Unless things have changed, Amazon had both the 2-disc tin and the four-disc three-film "non-tin" for the same price, -just under $26, I think. I was trying to make up my mind ,and was leaning to the three films, since I want all of them. The Best Buy thing sort of consolidated it for me, so I'll probably just buy that, -but I'll probably have a good size case of "Buyer's Remorse" on Wednesday...
Old 11-21-05, 05:16 PM

"Best Buy does not price match online shops."

Mine has done it more than once for me. I got Batman Begins DE for $14.99 by matching a print out of that pirce on CircuitCity.com (it was only up for a day or so).
Old 11-21-05, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pics?
Old 11-21-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is from BB's web site:

It's kind of hard to see, but the tin is in the front of the box, with the other two movies in their standard packaging behind the tin.
Old 11-21-05, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
"Best Buy does not price match online shops."

Mine has done it more than once for me. I got Batman Begins DE for $14.99 by matching a print out of that pirce on CircuitCity.com (it was only up for a day or so).

They matched it because if it's on sale at circuitcity.com, you can get the same price at B & M Circuit City. So they were actually matching the B & M store.
Old 11-21-05, 08:39 PM

Circuit City charged $22.99 for it in-store that day.
Old 11-22-05, 07:12 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Does this set come with a mail-in offer for the poster?
Yes.

The tin contains the Standard 2 disc set and packaging (digipack) plus 5 postcard size posters of the movie and a small reproduction of the souvenir
program . Best Buy set has that plus the other 2 movies plus five more postcard size posters for the movie. Many of the posters are for international release of the movie . As stated there is a form to order a full size poster for free. Haven't looked at form closely so I don't know if there is any shipping charge.

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-22-05 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-22-05, 12:28 PM

I picked this up today at BB and the set looks great. I got two copies of the extra BB exclusive 5 poster replica postcards for some reason. I hope that doesn't mean someone else got screwed. I was debating whether to go with this set or just the $14.99 two-discer and I'm glad I went with this set.
Old 11-22-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
There is a $3.25 S&H charge, but for a 27" x 40" reproduction poster, that is still a great deal.

Christopher H

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Haven't looked at form closely so I don't know if there is any shipping charge.
Old 11-22-05, 02:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
My mother-in-law, via my wife, is buying the BB set for my birthday. Woo-hoo....
Old 11-22-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost picked the tin up at CC today but decided to wait to pricematch it at BB when I picked up War of the Worlds LE there today. It's a good thing I did, I picked a Kong set up there in a heartbeat. I had wanted the tin since it was announced (I'm a sucker for tins) and was not going to get the 3 movie set for this reason. I was happy to see this exclusive.
Old 11-22-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Best Buy is the only place you can get the 2 disc tin set of King King with Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. Other places have a box with the standard 2 disc set of King Kong (non tin) with the other films.
Best Buy sure did a shitty job of advertising this "exclusive". I couldn't tell what it contained from their ad or their web site. I would have bought it there if I had known the contents.
Old 11-22-05, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was able to price-match this exclusive set for $27.99. Circuit City had the tin only listed for that price, and when I gave the girl the ad at checkout to price match me a King of the Hill S5 set, she said "Do you want to price match this King Kong set too?" I didn't really know what she meant, but I said sure. It was only after I left that I realized she had price matched the box set to the single tin that was listed in Circuit City's ad, since the picture is almost identical. I didn't ask for it, but I didn't argue either.
Old 11-22-05, 04:33 PM

I bought the KK Collector's Edition at Circuit City for $29.99 and then visited Best Buy which had the exclusive set for $34. Needless to say I paid a return visit to Circuit City to return my KK.

I thought all the extras were well worth $4!
Old 11-22-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I lucked out today at Target, they had the CE mispriced at 14.99, which they honored for me... I dropped the two 5 dollar seinfeld GC's I picked up this morning, so the total came out around 6 bucks

Overall for under 80 bucks I picked up today from Target:
Seinfeld Vol 4
Seinfeld Vol 5
King Kong CE Tin
and Dynasty warriors PSP

not bad... takes a little of the sting out of just missing a 360 at Sams club this morning
Old 11-22-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I was able to price-match this exclusive set for $27.99. Circuit City had the tin only listed for that price, and when I gave the girl the ad at checkout to price match me a King of the Hill S5 set, she said "Do you want to price match this King Kong set too?" I didn't really know what she meant, but I said sure. It was only after I left that I realized she had price matched the box set to the single tin that was listed in Circuit City's ad, since the picture is almost identical. I didn't ask for it, but I didn't argue either.
I priced matched it as well today at BB for $27.99. I just missed getting it for $17.99 as the girl was ready to punch in that price (as seen in the CC Ad) when a manager showed up and pointed to her that it was for the single disc.

Rats...
Old 11-22-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Best Buy sure did a shitty job of advertising this "exclusive". I couldn't tell what it contained from their ad or their web site. I would have bought it there if I had known the contents.
I probably would've too. Instead I got the regular set at CH as a fulfillment. Oh well, I'm sure they'll sell them to someone, just not to me.