Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Posiedon Adventure NBC - Any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Poseidon Adventure NBC - Any thoughts

Ok i am almost done with the movie and i have to tell you.... just as bad as 10.5 but better then any CBS movie.

i couldnt believe my eyes to see Mahoney in this movie

Last edited by raven56706; 11-20-05 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C. Thomas Howell looked very bad and he's not that old.
If anybody can post a picture.
Old 11-20-05, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It sank.
Old 11-20-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm proud and embarrassed that I worked on this.
Old 11-20-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I didn't watch it, but the fact that it wasn't in HD was a big mistake. None of these new made for TV movies should be in SD. That's just ridiculous.
Old 11-20-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I didn't watch it, but the fact that it wasn't in HD was a big mistake. None of these new made for TV movies should be in SD. That's just ridiculous.
It was in HD, at least here in LA; in DD5.1 too. At least it was supposed to be.
Old 11-20-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep, was in HD here too..just saw a few minutes...thought I would wait to see what TV Talk says about it....er rips it apart...
Old 11-20-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
why?
as in "why the fuck did they remake this movie?"
Old 11-20-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The recent made-for-TV disaster movies have been cheesy fun, but this one wasn't fun at all. There was no emotion to it. The original PA had screaming and sobbing and you believed that those people were in an upside down ship. That was absent tonight.
"Hey, the ship is upside down."
"Oh, okay."

"Mom, while you climb the Christmas tree, I'm going to stay here and face certain death."
"Oh, okay."

"That terrorist just shot the captain."
"Oh, okay."

"We saved nine people out of three thousand."
"Oh, okay."

Obviously, those quotes aren't real but show just as much emotion as the script or cast did. Not one actor did anything more than pay their mortgage.
Old 11-20-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This was an actual MOVIE? I thought it was a joke..
Old 11-20-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
It was in HD, at least here in LA; in DD5.1 too. At least it was supposed to be.
It wasn't in HD here in Phoenix. So either someone forgot to flip the switch or for some reason our affiliate didn't get the HD feed.
Old 11-20-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
It wasn't in HD here in Phoenix. So either someone forgot to flip the switch or for some reason our affiliate didn't get the HD feed.
Too bad; I know originally, had this aired on the Hallmark Channel, it was only going to be SD, but since they made a deal with NBC, they pushed for HD, to make it more of an "event."

I agree with most of the complaints here; having seen this a thousand times, the common problems are: too long, too slow, the writing is too on the nose (i.e. no subtlety), the acting is kinda not great, etc. At least the music sounds good; that's all I care about in the end.

Last edited by FinkPish; 11-20-05 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I liked it better the first time when it was called "The Poseidon Adventure." /David Spade
Old 11-21-05, 07:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I am still trying to figure out why that woman took off her dress so they could rip it apart to use as a mask to breathe. didn't someonelse have something else to use. i love t&a but that was beyond laughable.

the weirdest part of this tv movie is
isn't wolfgang peterson directing kurt russell and emmy rossum in a feature film remake of the poisden advenure? i guess two studios for some reason have the remake rights of the movie and one is trying to screw over the other. i think the original poisden advenure was a shared production of wb and universal. I think Universal tried making this tv movie as bad as possible to stop people from wanting tosee the wb feature film next summer directed by wolfgang peterson and starring kurt russell. universal hopes people will say i saw that on tv and it was the worst show ever.
Old 11-21-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

see i found it weird when freaking Mahoney was with that chick and he kept on looking at his wife with fear and disgust....

no idea what his problem was....

the only classic moment was the chick when she took off her clothes and the kid videotaped it....
Old 11-21-05, 08:39 AM

Yeesh, this sucked. I love the original, but this one was just horrid. I didn't understand why they changed up so much (Rogo is a super-agent, terrorist plot, Navy on the scene so early) but tried to reccreate so much shot for shot (swimming fat woman, falling off the ladder, etc.) Make up your mind and stick to one way or the other. And no singing of "Morning After" just sucks.
Old 11-21-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I want my three hours back.
Old 11-21-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by sabre
isn't wolfgang peterson directing kurt russell and emmy rossum in a feature film remake of the poisden advenure? i guess two studios for some reason have the remake rights of the movie and one is trying to screw over the other. i think the original poisden advenure was a shared production of wb and universal. I think Universal tried making this tv movie as bad as possible to stop people from wanting tosee the wb feature film next summer directed by wolfgang peterson and starring kurt russell. universal hopes people will say i saw that on tv and it was the worst show ever.
Well, that explains a lot! I kept flipping this back on to see if I could catch a glimpse of that Fergie chick from the Black-Eyed Peas, because I saw a bit on Access Hollywood or ET where she was filming a scene. They said she was in a remake of the Poseidon Adventure, I just assumed they meant this one, it turns out she's in the other remake. Who would have guessed they were going to make two unnecessary remakes back-to-back.

You are probably right about Universal trying to scuttle WB's version, although there was a TV version of Titanic just before James Cameron's version came out in theaters and it obviously didn't hurt that too badly.
Old 11-21-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was in HD/widescreen in Las Vegas. It didn't help. It was pretty bad. It can't touch the original. It can't even touch the sequel BEYOND THE POSIDEON ADVENTURE!

Maybe the theatrical remake POSIDEON will be better. It couldn't be worse.
Old 11-21-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sabre
Universal/NBC had no hand in producing this version; the remake rights for TV were held by the Hallmark Channel. The only input NBC has was in approving the final cut, mix and visual effects; they had no say in the script, casting, etc. There could have been some underhandedness in buying this version, but the NBC guy who I dealt with seemed genuinely interested in the project; they weren't trying to air the worst version possible to piss off WB.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1238&cs=1

Last edited by FinkPish; 11-21-05 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like the Love Boat before it, this movie is filled with Has-been stars.
The ship turning over wasnt even exciting.

I'm looking forward to the Big Screen version. At least they are sticking with a rogue wave hitting the ship.
Old 11-21-05, 02:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
You are probably right about Universal trying to scuttle WB's version,
If there was any sneaky behavior on NBC's part, they wouldn't have aired the TV film 7 MONTHS before the film version.
Old 11-21-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was amazed at how many well known people were in there
Old 11-21-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
C. Thomas Howell looked very bad and he's not that old.
If anybody can post a picture.

He was here in Austin this weekend for Red Dawn at The Alamo Draft House. The picture for the showing on the website was from the Outsiders.
Old 11-21-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
If there was any sneaky behavior on NBC's part, they wouldn't have aired the TV film 7 MONTHS before the film version.
Maybe not, but it should at least make the DVD release of this one coincide with the theatrical release of the other remake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.