Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New R.E.M. DVD-audio. No high rez?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I picked up the new 2 disc version of "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" yesterday. Popped in the DVD-A disc & although I have my player set to prioritize to DVD-A and the options appear for both high rez 5.1 and stereo, there's no sound via the multi-channel outputs. I can get the DD and DTS versions either via optical or multi-channel though.

I'm using the Pioneer DV-563A. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it's the player. I haven't run across this on any other DVD-A titles. And don't want to get the rest of the catalog if all I can get are the compressed tracks.
Old 11-18-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
That's strange. Did you try another DVD-A disc immediately after the R.E.M. one to see if you might currently be having a problem with the analog outs?

I have every single one of the R.E.M. releases and they all play fine for me. The only problem I've ever had, and this is a problem with the player, is that I've temporarily lost the ability to see discs as DVD-As until I reset the player. That's just a problem with my cheap Toshiba player, though, not any of the discs.
Old 11-19-05, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that model of pioneer. It will not play the high rez parts of new dvd-a due to some new copy protection the discs are using. It needs a new firmware upgrade to get them to work. At least that is what I have heard, you can research it on hometheaterforum.

I haven't done it yet because u have to take it to a pioneer tech or send it to them.

It happens on the new dualdisc too, my NIN dualdisc will not play the high rez part, but will play the regular 5.1 section.

Tim
Old 11-19-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Tim, I was just about to pop down $120 for that new Talking Heads dualdisc set too. Guess I'll be looking for a new universal player instead......
Old 06-24-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question: Does the "Document" dualdisc have a DVD-Audio option? When looking at the back the album, it doesn't have a DVD-Audio logo - just a DVD-Video logo with a DTS logo.

I'm just wondering because if it doesn't have DVD-Audio, I'd just get the old DVD-Audio version online instead. But, I'd rather pick it up at a brick and mortar store.
Old 06-24-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the dual discs are using DVD-Video quality sound for their 5.1 mixes instead of real DVD-A. That may not be the issue with this disc though.