Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Dad! or Family Guy?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: American Dad! or Family Guy?
Family Guy
60.00%
American Dad!
7.78%
They Both Suck
12.22%
They Both Rock
20.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which show do you prefer, American Dad or the much more popular and established Family Guy? Me, I personnaly love them both, even though that's an odd choice (but then again I'm an odd guy...).
Old 11-18-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does a thread like this exist?
Old 11-18-05, 02:11 AM

Is this thread pointless because it has been endlessly debated before and Family Guy always wins in a poll like this?

Last edited by Cancer Man; 11-18-05 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
No, no, you don't understand the question. He is asking WHY does a thread like this EXIST. Existence is the question. Where did the thread come from? Is the government hiding threads like this to keep us from the truth? Do you believe?

You have always denied the truth. You have always turned your back on what your eyes see. Well do you see this thread? Do you see what they are trying to hide. Come on guy open your eyes. They'll take your family. They don't care if your a dad or american. All they want is to hide the truth.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE CANCER MAN! THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE! DO YOU BELIEVE?

trust no one
Old 11-18-05, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Three non-answer threadcraps so far.

Anyway, I just started watching FG a few months ago and I love the show now. I tried to watch AD a few times, but can't get into it.
Old 11-18-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gave up on American Dad last season, so Family Guy obviously gets my vote.
Old 11-18-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
American Dad is about 50 times better than Family Guy and is honestly the funniest animated show on network TV. American Dad has a plto and a bit more substance. The repetitive pop culture and "the time that..." jokes are funny, but it doesn't make Family Guy must-see for me.
Old 11-18-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Family Guy only!

American Dad is ok, but its just rarely ever funny to me. I'll watch it if nothing else is on.
Old 11-18-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is like having a poll between "Batman Begins or Batman & Robin"
Old 11-18-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

American Dad was awful for the first few episodes. It was painfully unfunny and seemed like it was trying to be some strange alternate Family Guy. But lately it's picked up steam and sometimes is better than the Family Guy that precedes it. I could do without the Fish though. Yes, you're German and you love Francine. That's nice. The only time it was ever funny was when it did the commentary on what everyone else was doing.

Family Guy on the other hand was solid before it got cancelled. But since it's returned it's been hit or miss. It almost seems like it's trying too hard to be funny. It doesn't seem to have as much of a story as before, and relies too much on 80's pop culture references. Like someone will be talking and say "Well, this is just like the time I/we ----" and it'll be a parody of an old show or a movie. It did that before, but it was more random and not all the friggin' time.

Plus there's the rehashing of previous jokes and one-time characters. Like the Greased-Up Deaf Guy. Kind of amusing the first time because it was so random and odd. Since it's been back they've had him on at least four times, and in places where it just felt forced, didn't make sense, and wasn't funny. It's like the guys at FOX said "Hey Seth, we're willing to give Family Guy another chance. But we need to see more of that Greased-Up Deaf Guy! People loved him before, and they'll love that they *get* the reference!" Which kind of applies to the 80's pop culture stuff... It's like they think people will enjoy seeing it for the mere fact that they remember it and it was mentioned, not because the actual reference/parody was funny in itself.

They need to have more of a story and do more stuff with the characters. They've gotten lazy with that. It's still better than a lot of other crap out there and I'll still watch every week, but it's not what it used to be.

Last edited by WhoGirl; 11-18-05 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WhoGirl summed up my feelings perfectly, so... "ditto!"

I used to watch Family Guy because I enjoyed it, and American Dad out of "obligation". Now it's the other way around.

Rob
Old 11-18-05, 10:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with WhoGirl on a lot of that. I started off hating the setup of American Dad, but I thought it still had some good laughs so I kept with it. But with the help of some actual character development it finally gelled into something good. A really good Family Guy is still better than a really good American Dad, but lately an average American Dad is bette than an average Family Guy.
Old 11-18-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Family Guy
Old 11-18-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No comment.
Old 11-18-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Usually Family Guy, but the masturbation episode of American Dad was funnier than any Family Guy episode since the show returned.
Old 11-18-05, 11:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Definitely Family Guy
Old 11-18-05, 11:10 AM

neither.
Old 11-18-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

American Dad is actually quite a good show, and while it is animated, stars a family with a talking animal, and is created by Seth McFarlane, the similarities between it and Family Guy kind of end there.

Comparing the two is like comparing King of the Hill and The Simpsons. Family Guy depends on cheap laughs, fart jokes, and pop culture references to carry it. Although some of the latest shows have been a little lackluster, it's a fantastic show.

American Dad occasionally throws in pop culture references, but mainly relies on the storyline (and german fish jokes) to carry it. This show took a little getting used to, but I really like it.
Old 11-18-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
I used to watch Family Guy because I enjoyed it, and American Dad out of "obligation". Now it's the other way around.
Up until the last two new episodes of both shows, I'd have said that too. However, both have been equally wonderful the past two weeks. I'll love 'em BOTH if they continue to keep up the consistently decent funny!
Old 11-18-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

both
Old 11-18-05, 03:39 PM

I like them both, but Family Guy probablly has more memorable characters. Roger the Alien is starting to grow on me though. I also agree with Seth McFarlanes politics so I get lots of laughs out of his take on Republicans on American Dad.
Old 11-18-05, 03:42 PM

American Guy owns Family Dad.
Old 11-18-05, 04:02 PM

family guy hands down. I cant watch american dad beacause of the dads face. It just doesnt look right to me.
Old 11-18-05, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hubcap
I cant watch american dad beacause of the dads face. It just doesnt look right to me.
In contrast to to the nutsack chin on Peter Griffin?
Old 11-18-05, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
WhoGirl summed up my feelings perfectly, so... "ditto!"

Rob
DITTO!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.