Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should Hollywood focus more on superhero tv shows rather than movies?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I can think of quite a few that would make good tv shows,Superman,Batman,Flash,Justice League,X-Men,Fantastic Four and Captain America .I wouldn't mind crossover episodes either(If DC and Marvel would agree).How about villains having there own shows such as The Joker,Captain Cold or Dr. Doom.
Old 11-17-05, 07:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 11-17-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Hollywood should focus on solid, original content. Going to the well for the fad/superhero/remake of the moment is not the thing to do.
Old 11-17-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If hollywood wants to keep going to that well, I'm all for serialized tv shows as they mimic the comic experience closer. Though the budgets (and thus the special effects) will always be better in movies, I find TV to be a richer medium. I do think tv should stick to smaller (less visually demanding) heroes though if at all. For instance I think Nightwing could make a fantastic television show.

Last edited by boredsilly; 11-17-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I go to see superhero movies for the flashy special effects and the action scenes. That's pretty much it. If there's any character or story, well, bonus for me, I guess.

So I'd rather see these things on the big screen where the budgets allow for flashier special effects and bigger action pieces.
Old 11-18-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I think they should make some shows about cops. That's never been done before.
Old 11-18-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
I think they should make some shows about cops. That's never been done before.
And lawyers. And high school kids who look 25 and sleep around.

I actually would prefer superhero TV shows to movies since the weekly serialized storytelling format better serves it. I really hate how we get a superhero origin film only to be forced to wait 2-3 years to see the next episode.
Old 11-18-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we are culturally at a point where a well done Captain America series could make for extremely compelling TV if the right people were involved. For instance, imagine Sorkin executing that concept.

I don't think this is a question I can answer. I'm open to all sorts of projects as long as the right creative team is behind them.

ETA: I think Iron Man could also make a hell of a TV series and could be the sort of project that either turns around the career of a burnt out star or makes a star.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 11-18-05 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 09:55 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would work for the smalle name heroes, or ones that didn't have as extraordinary powers. But to do something like Fantastic Four or X-Men as a series they would have to scale it down so much for budget it would ruin the fun of the whole thing. They would either have to cheap up the fx and setpieces or scale back the story like The Incredible Hulk (where instead of throwing tanks he's beating up local jerks). Obviously not to that extreme, but it still wouldn't be true to the comics.
Old 11-18-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't there already enough movie and TV content directed at the teen and pre-teen market?
Old 11-18-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Buffy/Angel are shows that have come closest to giving that serialized comic-book feel.

I'm all for any show that could recreate that as well as those shows have.
Old 11-18-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I can think of quite a few that would make good tv shows,Superman...
I'm pretty sure there's already a Superman show on TV. And there was another one just a few years before the current one.
Old 11-18-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd prefer it if superhero television shows followed "story arcs" (like Angel and Buffy) instead of Monster-of-the-Week type scenarios. Smallville would be a great show if they focused more on the story instead of, "What shit will young Clark Kent get into this week?" But then again, that's why I don't watch Smallville.

And as others have mentioned, you can't do "epic" superheroes like the Fantastic Four or X-Men on a television budget. For a superhero story to work on television, it would have to either be an orgin story (like Smallville) or a lesser-known comic book hero. Hour long dramas usually only have a budget average of $2-5 million per episode (most shows aren't like CSI and ER where an average episode could cost anywhere between $10-15 million), so the studio/network in charge would have to spend their money wisely for cast, crew, sets, special effects, make-up, and so on and so on. A show can be done on that budget and have great production values (but that also requires a great deal of talent involved), but most of the time you get cheese fests like Mutant X or Cleopatra 2525.
Old 11-18-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Since Clark can't legally drink he should still be considered SuperBoy.
Old 11-18-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Since Clark can't legally drink he should still be considered SuperBoy.
And nowhere in the series have they referred to him as Superman. In fact the Aquaman episode, AC calls him Superboy.