Smallville -- "Solitude" -- 11/17/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Solitude" -- 11/17/05

"Solitude"
Spoiler:
After Martha contracts a disease and is given hours to live, Clark turns to Professor Fine (James Marsters), who convinces Clark that Jor-El is the one responsible for her illness and the only way to save her is to destroy the Fortress of Solitude.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Kristin Kreuk , Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Erica Durance, James Marsters.
Director(s): Paul Shapiro.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer.

Original Airdate: November 17, 2005.
Old 11-17-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who cares about Smallville, it's all about the trailer tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

SUPERMAN RETURNS!
Old 11-17-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll try to catch up tonight. I've skipped the last 2 episodes.
Old 11-17-05, 08:59 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Will definitely be tuning in!
Old 11-17-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be working at Target, but I'm gonna try to schedule my break around 835-ish so I can hopefully catch the teaser for Superman Returns.
Old 11-17-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Kal-El works at Target? Who knew?

Looking forward to it.
Old 11-17-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Given James Marsters' past roles, loved the stakeage.
Old 11-17-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall, an okay episode with Fine moving the pieces in position just so he could get Clark to do what he needed to do to complete his mission.

That Superman Returns trailer definitely left you wanting for more, and at least Bryan Singer is going to bring the filmmaking aspect to the table, let's hope Routh is up to the task as well.
Old 11-17-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
well pretty obvious now that dr fine isnt
Spoiler:
trying to help clark
Old 11-17-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That trailer was suck. What the hell; not even a straight shot of him in the suit?
Old 11-17-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
why it's called a teaser.
Old 11-17-05, 08:31 PM

Not really sure if I liked this episode or not, really will depend on where things go from here.
Old 11-17-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
trailer was nice, but I still think Smallville should have evolved into the movie franchise
I missed a lot of the episode, so I'll have to watch it later
I did like how the fortress extended a few extra crystals to make sure they fully stabbed Fine then withdrew them when he dematerialized
Old 11-17-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Luthorcorp has THE worst security of any corporation, real or fictional. I still love it tho.
Old 11-17-05, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by huzefa
Luthorcorp has THE worst security of any corporation, real or fictional. I still love it tho.

Glad i'm not the only one who noticed this, two people to gaurd the most important find in human history, good going Lex
Old 11-17-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I am confused after this episode. I took it to believe that the whole history of "Jor-El" trying to get Clark to take over the world and make Earth become Krypton 2 and the whole bit about "Jor-El" trying to take Martha's life was revealed to be Zod. But then towards the end of the episode, they are still talking like those voices Clark heard all along were from Jor-El. Now, weren't they always voiced by Terrence Stamp all this time? So Jor-El still wants Clark to take over Earth? He still wants somebody close to Clark die??
Old 11-17-05, 10:27 PM

I think the Jor-el wanting Clark to rule thing has been dropped for now, as it stands its a rather large plothole that hasn't been resolved. As for someone close to Clark having to die, yes that is still hanging over his head.
Old 11-17-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm trying to figure out what was more annoying...the FORD product placement "ooooo I SO could have an ORGASM in this car" or the hard rock remake of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game".

Other than that, I dug this episode. Heck, any episode without Lana's overdramatics has the potential for being a good one. I really wish that they kept the Brainiac mystery going a little longer. Hell, look how long we had to suffer through the whole Lana/Clark thing during the first three years.
Old 11-17-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a pretty solid episode. Hopefully, Dr. Fine will appear again. He has been an interesting addition the past few episodes. I thought he also trying to recruit Clark, rather than use him for his own personal agenda.

Of Jor-El's plans -- I had always thought that Clark misinterpreted Jor-El's initial message and intent, which was why he was so reluctant to fufill a destiny he didn't want. He thought he was sent to Earth to conquer and not to serve it.
Old 11-17-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the show tonight, everyone had a great part to play.

Luthor's interaction was perfect, what is up with Lionel, he almost seems to be more pure hearted.

Nice touch with the fore shadowing of Lois Lane reporter.

The sceen with mom and Clark in the barn talking reminded me of the Superman movie when Young Clark says goodbye to more just before he goes up north.

The last second of the show, it was a strange look on Pa's face, is he the one Clark needs to spend extra time with before he dies?

Very good FX in the Fortress, overall I am impress with the FX and set designs this season, by far the best of all the seasons.

Keep it up Smallville!

Love the Trailer, come on Summer 2006...
Old 11-18-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
The last second of the show, it was a strange look on Pa's face, is he the one Clark needs to spend extra time with before he dies?
My thought too, espesially followed by the dramatic chord going into credits. Foreshadowing, teasing, or throwing us off? Tune in next time as ...

Good episode, but I'm still confused about how Brainiac/Eradicator arrived a few months ago and somehow got a professor job in a university. Was there a Milton Fine before Brainiac showed up, as in the comics?

The Superman Returns teaser was .. rehashed Superman the Movie with a few new scenes tossed in. I hope they pay Marlon Brando for the voiceover work!! oh .. he's dead. .. nevermind... But on that note, it would be cool if John Williams does the music!
Old 11-18-05, 12:46 AM
Suspended

but I still think Smallville should have evolved into the movie franchise
^co-sign

MikeHunt I think you and are I were brothers seperated at birth.

This is what irritates the shit out of me, MH called it, I think Smallville could have evolved into an incredible movie franchise. Stupid WB.

Episode was great, Lex was PISSED about the ship being gone.

Looks like we have a 2-3 week hiatus for the holidays with no new episodes. So my thinking is break now, a couple new, filler episodes in December, then thats it till after the new year. Smallville kicks ass!

Luthorcorp has THE worst security of any corporation, real or fictional. I still love it tho
Security there is comedy.

Superman trailer was trash

Ok I am still pissed that they took this route with the Superman franchise, instead of evolving the Smallville cast. So I guess thats making me a little sour towards the trailer. Maybe I am too used to Smallville and seeing the characters I have loved for 5 years, and not seeing them in the movie. Maybe thats my bias, I am trying to figure it all out. I am trying to be open minded, but it just would have made my day to have the Smallville cast in a movie franchise, they just fit better. Oh well, can't have everything.
Old 11-18-05, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by huzefa
That trailer was suck. What the hell; not even a straight shot of him in the suit?
Maybe b/c the new suit and the way he looks in it blows. Yes I'm still ranting on it. I just don't like the dark red color and the bottom looks like little hotpants. Oh yeah and Routh has thick stumpy legs, his eyebrows are too thick, and I like Superman to have bright blue eyes. This guy reminds me of a cross between Chris Noth and Ken Wahl (from Wiseguy, remember?) Not bad but Tom Welling would've been more perfect looks wise. Hopefully Routh will wow me and be this really amazing actor. *pointless rant over*

I definitely think Singer respects the franchise so I'm curious to see how it turned out. I still can't picture meek little Kate Bosworth as Lois, but maybe she can do a feisty, sarcastic reporter better than I think. (feisty and sarcastic until Supes makes her get all mushy, of course ) Overall I thought the trailer was ok, very polished looking and it's obvious they spent a ton on the CG. Using the Brando voiceover and Williams score still irks me for some reason. I just don't know if I like connecting the films like that. I know it's supposed to be "paying homage" to the originals, but this is a new Superman so get your own music, new film! I guess they figured they couldn't top it so why not use it. I can't really blame them.

As for Smallville....is that all of Professor Fine? I thought he would be a recurring villain and last more than one episode after Clark found out who he was. Guess not.
Old 11-18-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
well pretty obvious now that dr fine isnt
Spoiler:
trying to help clark

I thought everyone knew he wasnt trying to help him considering who he is.
Didnt care for Lois looking up at the Daily Planet sign behind her. They are doing the forshawdoing way too much this season.

I just knew everyone would be hear shooting down the "Teaser" Trailer.
the movie hasn't even come out yet and everyone has a final opinion on it.
I think it looked pretty good. Not great but decent enough to want to see more.
Not real crazy about them doing the origin stuff again. I had read they weren't so maybe they are just flashbacks of some kind.
Old 11-18-05, 01:25 AM
Banned

Jim Caviezel should've been Superman. And how does Lois Lane supposed to be a veteran super reporter when she looks 16?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.