Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDMI availbility in recievers? How about in H.T.I.B.s'?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 30" Widescreen HDTV which is hooked up via HDMI to a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player which does 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

I want to start investing in a decent sound system. I'm a college student so I'm hoping to keep the price under a grand.

From what I understand the video quality is much nicer through HDMI than Componant, even though they are both HD signals. So I want to keep the HDMI connection if possible. Less wires, less hassle... Right?

Working at Best Buy, I know we have one reciever which accepts HDMI inputs, but that's 999.99. Lots of $$$.

What would be a good system for me to build up with? How would the connection look? HDMI from DVD player into reciever, another HDMI from reciever into television?

I think my television has digital audio out (I'll check when I get home and update), so could I run the HDMI cable from the DVD player to the television, and output digital audio cables from the television to the reciever?

I don't remember the model number of my television or DVD player, but my televsion is the one that was refurbished from the phillips outlet website for I believe 650 shipped to my house. So if anyone knows what TV I'm talking about, all the more info to work with.

Will update with televsion and DVD player model when I get home. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about HDMI switching for a starter system on a budget. Put the money into the best quality receiver and speakers you can get. Every other HD source you use should have a component output (cable box, xbox 360/PS3, etc.) so you don't need another HDMI input. Some DVD players will only output a scaled signal through HDMI, but other than that component is just as good for HD.

You should connect the HDMI cable from your DVD player to your TV for picture, and run the digital audio cable from the DVD player to the receiver.
Old 11-16-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are you thinking about in terms of a receiver and speakers? For $1000, I would get a Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. You could pick up the receiver and two pairs of Titans for right around 1000. You could then add a center and sub later on.
Old 11-16-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobDole42
What are you thinking about in terms of a receiver and speakers? For $1000, I would get a Marantz receiver and Paradigm speakers. You could pick up the receiver and two pairs of Titans for right around 1000. You could then add a center and sub later on.
Would Best Buy's Magnolia store carry those? I wanna try and keep the stuff I purchase from Best Buy as I get really good discounts on electronics there. That one grand reciever I mentioned before, I get that for 620 roughly.
Old 11-16-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot about the Magnolia stuff. Your discount should help you a lot. I'll take a look at the Magnolia site and see what they've got.
Old 11-16-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just looked at the site - some nice stuff there. I would look at either a Marantz or Denon reciver and some Def. Tech speakers
Old 11-17-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any one in particular? And why? I want a good pair of rears and fronts that go well together. Would it be a good idea to have all four matching, with a center of the same brand or type? What kind of subwoofer is a good deal? Should I get one see as how I'm on the top of an apartment building and I don't want my downstairs neighbors' ceiling to fall in. What pair of speakers would have some bass good enough for my bedroom that I wouldn't need a sub?
Old 11-17-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are in an apartment, you probably don't need a sub. Your rears don't have to be the same model as your fronts, but they should be the same brand. I would look at a pair of floorstanding speakers for the fronts and smaller bookshelf models for the rears. And a matching center.

Are there any Def Tech owners in here who can comment on the models available at Magnolia? I've listened to a few Def Tech / marantz / denon comobos and have been impressed