Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Strange Beastie Boys/Beatles thing from Sounds of Science

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science" off of Paul's Boutique, when the sample from The Beatles' "The End" is used, they actually use the drums from Sgt. Pepper....Reprise instead of the drums from the song The End. The drums in "Reprise" have bass drums on the "one and" and the "three and" whereas in The End the bass drum on each quarter note with a hi-hat bark on the "ands" before the two and four beat. Anyone notice this?

Check out the songs if you have them to hear for yourself. I think it's pretty nuts that they would use the guitar riff from The End and the drum track from Reprise. I'm no longer much of a fan of the Beastie Boys, but the production on Paul's Boutique was pure genius.
Old 11-16-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have heard some Beastie Boy songs mixed in with The Beatles' Rubber Soul. It came right after the Grey Album from Danger Mouse got huge. (I'm not sure which Beastie Boys songs they were, I'm not really a fan).
Old 11-16-05, 01:06 PM

Here's a great site that breaks down all of the samples and references used on Paul's Boutique: http://www.moire.com/beastieboys/samples/index.php

Regarding samples from "The Sounds of Science":

"I do not sniff the coke, I only smoke the sensamilla" - Pato Banton's song "Don't Sniff Coke"

"Right up in your face and dis' you" - "My Philosophy" by BDP

James Brown's, "Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved", when MCA says "that's right my name's Yauch"

Jet flying overhead from The Beatles "Back in the U.S.S.R." off the White Album

The Beatles, "The End" is scratched trhoughout the song

The crowd noise in the break is from the beginning of SPLHCB

The drum track underneath the guitar sample is a sample of the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" from SPLHCB

The guitar track at the end is a sample from the Beatles "The End" from Abbey Road.

The oboe track you hear at the beginning is a sample of the Beatles "When I'm 64" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The occasional beeps and bass lines during the first half of the song is from Issac Hayes' "Walk from Regio's", on the "Shaft" soundtrack

The sounds at the beginning is from the small toy in a can that would make a "mmmoooooooooo" sound each time it was turned upside down.

The violin and other orchestral tuning you hear in the middle (I believe when AdRock says "Rope-a dope...") is a sample of the intro to the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" from SPLHCB
Old 11-16-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cool. thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Check out the songs if you have them to hear for yourself. I think it's pretty nuts that they would use the guitar riff from The End and the drum track from Reprise. I'm no longer much of a fan of the Beastie Boys, but the production on Paul's Boutique was pure genius.
Yup, some really great samples on that album, including the Funk Factory riff in Car Thief and Who's That Lady in Disco Dave. The production on that album was way ahead of its time, I think that's why it flopped. People were still embarassed by the disco thing in the late 80's. Probably my favourite hip-hop album, and one that went a lot sooner in the music draft than I expected.
Old 11-16-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

definately. I got this album when I was in 4th grade. Also, the "Who's That Lady" riff is pretty badass. I still listen to it occasionally for that part of the track.
Old 11-16-05, 06:18 PM

after the big Liscense To Ill album people thought they would just keep that formula and they put out Paul's Boutique and a lot of people just didnt "Get it" The Beastie's
have always been a solid experimental band with a solid loyal following.
kind of like the Talking Heads or something..

Ive always liked there stuff from "Shes On It" to "Paul Revere" to 'Stabotage"
and other gems.. they have a great catalouge.. is there a greatest hits album??
Old 11-16-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MOSHUN
they have a great catalouge.. is there a greatest hits album??
Just released...

Amazon Link
Old 11-16-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Dust Brothers always had fantastic sampling when it came to their production. I think they did "Funky Cold Medina" for Tone Loc and "Bust a Move" for Young MC too.
Old 11-17-05, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MOSHUN
Ive always liked there stuff from "Shes On It" to "Paul Revere" to 'Stabotage"
and other gems.. they have a great catalouge.. is there a greatest hits album??
I'd recommend picking up the double-disc Anthology - 42 songs vs 15 (on Solid Gold Hits). If you're interested in their overall catalouge (as well as one of the few albums to find "She's On It"), I'd go with that one.
Old 11-17-05, 08:48 AM

And regarding Paul's Boutique - I would love to hear this one redone (preferably by the Dust Brothers) in 5.1 high quality audio.
Old 11-17-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have heard some Beastie Boy songs mixed in with The Beatles' Rubber Soul. It came right after the Grey Album from Danger Mouse got huge. (I'm not sure which Beastie Boys songs they were, I'm not really a fan).
Is this it? http://www.djbc.net/beastles/ (not strictly Rubber Soul samples)
Old 11-17-05, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
And regarding Paul's Boutique - I would love to hear this one redone (preferably by the Dust Brothers) in 5.1 high quality audio.
Amen to that. I've been preaching the gospel of what Paul's Boutique is for quite some time. I drop that Paul's Samples' web link in posts like Galileo drops the orange. It also ranks #1 for my ideal High Resolution wish list. I actually cannot even fathom what the possibilites would be if it was done correctly. It would (could) put Yoshima to shame. Pick up the Criterion DVD. The remixes themselves on Hey Ladies are worth the paltry $24 or so msrp.
Old 11-17-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Paul's Boutique is one of those (immensely) rare hip-hop albums which will never, ever age.
Old 11-17-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
I'd recommend picking up the double-disc Anthology - 42 songs vs 15 (on Solid Gold Hits). If you're interested in their overall catalouge (as well as one of the few albums to find "She's On It"), I'd go with that one.

Is this still on Anthology? The one listed on Amazon and Best Buy do not have this track listed on it.
Old 11-18-05, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Is this still on Anthology? The one listed on Amazon and Best Buy do not have this track listed on it.
Well I was about to come on here and say I meant the CD not the DVD, but after looking on Amazon - you're right. That said, I think Amazon has a mistake in the tracklisting. Disc 2, track 10 reads "Rock Hard," which actually was supposed to be the track released; however, AC/DC wouldn't clear the "Back In Black" guitar riff sample that makes up the backing track to the song. Instead, "She's On It" was placed on the album.

I'm pretty positive if you purchased it, you'd get "She's On It." And if you don't, please let me know, because I'd love a remastered version of "Rock Hard" on CD.

EDIT: Dammit - I'm seeing this on DDCD now too. I may have to swing by Best Buy today to see if they actually replaced the track. Checking the site of all Beastie discography sites - www.beastiemania.com - I don't see any new version.

Last edited by FrozenMetalHead; 11-18-05 at 10:19 AM.