Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'The Matador' (Pierce Brosnan film) - when is this getting released?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-15-05, 07:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knew what the release date for this film is. I know it's one of the first batch of films from the Weinstein Company. I would assume this is getting limited release first and then a national rollout - right?
Old 11-15-05, 10:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12/23 NY & LA
1/6 select cities
1/20 wide
Old 11-16-05, 09:13 PM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10004925-matador/
83% at RT
Old 11-17-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI we get to see Pierce Brosnan in boots and a Speedo.

For what it's worth.
Old 11-20-05, 12:37 PM

The Trade said it's (007)character assassination, as a Bond fan hoping to see Brosnan one more go, I don't whether it's good or bad..

“That’s why I like you, you’re the complete opposite of me!”, it becomes abundantly clear that the conversation is actually taking place between Brosnan’s Bond and Noble. Talk about the ultimate character assassination. Over to you, 007."

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=3814
Old 01-15-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that this has been out for about a few days, what are peoples thoughts?

I caught this in Hollywood on Friday (at the wonderful Arclight Theater), and loved it. Bitingly funny and intriguing all the way through. I couldn't wait to see what Julian would say or do next. Favorite scene has to be Julian and Danny in the car and Danny's convinced Julian's come to kill him. Hilarious beat right there!

Forgive me for the awkward writing, it's still so early for me.
Old 01-15-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was decent. It certainly wasn't GREAT though. The pacing is far too slow for a movie that is supposed to be a comedy. It has some great beats and the last half is fantastic, but even at 100minutes it felt a bit bloated, plus, the concept is so great and the cast so perfect, I felt the movie didn't live up to it's potential (unfortunately, the trailer is PERFECT for this film...which made the fact that the actual product wasn't nearly as fun all the more problematic). It's worth seeing for Brosnan and Kinnear alone, but frankly, I was hoping for more.

MATT
Old 01-15-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I greatly enjoyed the movie, and found the pacing to be pretty much perfect throughout. Brosnan is great in it, even if his character occasionally got on my nerves (The first bar scene was hard to watch). Otherwise, it was funny, greatly entertaining and an overall pleasant viewing experience .

That said, I haven't seen the trailer before.

Edit: Just watched the trailer @ apple.com, not only does it seem like a completely different movie (and the comedic timing is off), but the voiceover is one of the worst I think I've ever heard. Having seen the movie, it actually comes off like the Shining, Seven, and Cabin Fever spoofs.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-15-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
FYI we get to see Pierce Brosnan in boots and a Speedo.

For what it's worth.

That was one of my favorite scenes of the films. The whole film is a farce on his James Bond character. He looks like this completely smooth guy and is anything but that. I really loved this film. Filming it all in Mexico City did pay off and showed the city as something beyond what we have come to see it as in other films.

Pierce's acting was great. The car scene was indeed a touching moment and through all that you can actually see him shed a single tear and not come off as all hooky.

The music choices were really great throughout the film. Really a great film and well worth the money to go see it.
Old 01-16-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Hopefully, I get to see it this weekend. It seems like I've been waiting for it to come out for a year.

I have also been admiring the one-sheet in the lobby of my local theater for over a month.

Old 01-16-06, 01:12 PM

I really wanna see this movie, my friend saw it a few months ago and really liked it.
Old 01-17-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really good movie. Pierce Brosnan was great. There were some parts that I was puzzled with though. What was up with his fascination with the shaking of the cocktail shaker (when he's in the bar for the first time)? Why make such a big deal out of it? When jumped into the pool, what was the deal with the shark in there? They show him in the pool with the shark, and it just jumps to another scene. Why did Michael "owe" Julian anything? Was it just that Julian got his spirits up when he was down about possibily not getting the big job? That's something significant enough for him to go and help with a hit?
Old 01-17-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The shark was just another step in his character cracking and losing it.

Michael owed Julian because he was there for him when his business deal fell through and he talked him out of taking out the competition. It's the lowest points of his life that he resorted to that level. Julian needed his sport on the mission.
Old 01-17-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't this the flick that Vince wanted in on during the last season of Entourage?
...(interest heightens even more)...
Old 01-19-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Caught this last night along with DVDTalk member chente. A surprisingly decent turnout at the theater for a Wednesday night. Other than reading some reviews, I went into the movie blind (hadn't seen a trailer).

I really liked the movie. I thought Pierce did a great job and the score was great. While it didn't exactly WOW me, it's a fine, entertaining flick.
Old 01-20-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Caught this last night along with DVDTalk member chente.
How come you didn't call up Randy Chase?
Old 01-20-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
How come you didn't call up Randy Chase?
Actually, seeing the movie was secondary. What had happened awhile ago was there was a thread in Other about eating Pho (it's a Vietnamese soup). Anyway, chente mentioned that we should get together for some Pho since we're both in San Diego and we both like Pho. Well, fast forward to Present Day, he emailed me and mentioned after Pho we could catch a flick. I came up with the movie idea.

So, in a nutshell, it wasn't my call as to who was on the invite list. Maybe later this year we can plan an Otter Meet and our beloved RandyC would most definately be invited. Maybe we can plan a movie as part of the meet. Wouldn't that be a hoot.
Old 01-20-06, 07:34 AM

It's still not showing anywhere in my area yet.
Old 01-20-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Actually, seeing the movie was secondary. What had happened awhile ago was there was a thread in Other about eating Pho (it's a Vietnamese soup). Anyway, chente mentioned that we should get together for some Pho since we're both in San Diego and we both like Pho. Well, fast forward to Present Day, he emailed me and mentioned after Pho we could catch a flick. I came up with the movie idea.
Oh I see. I love pho. Did you get some Pho King 69 with chente?
Old 01-20-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

which leads to the question, aphex, why don't you ever want to go to the movies with me?
Old 01-20-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Oh I see. I love pho. Did you get some Pho King 69 with chente?
Uh, no....
Old 01-28-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pierce Brosnan is back as Julian, an assassin who's in the midst of a nervous breakdown, and Greg Kinnear plays Danny, who somehow becomes Julian's one link to normalcy from a happenstance encounter in Mexico of all places.

The chemistry is very good between Julian and Danny, plus Hope Davis was amusing as Danny's wife Bean. The script itself is peppered with some good frank dialogue, but the plot is somewhat uninvolving and peters out towards the end.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 01-28-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got back from this movie. I give it a B+. Very good but certainly had some faults.
Old 01-29-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I just got back from this movie. I give it a B+. Very good but certainly had some faults.
Saw it this afternoon. I'd give it a B, B+ too. It was entertaining, Brosnan was great IMO. As Patman said, it did lose some steam towards the end though.
Old 02-01-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
"loses steam towards the end"????? Nonsense.

Hell, I thought the last 20 or so minutes of the film were the best.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.